Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Lingcod 2018  (Read 3619 times)

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Is anybody heading out this weekend? I still need to pick up a few things but I’m open to heading out at Edmonds on Saturday or Sunday provided somebody else is going out.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Chromer, I might have headed out with you but am staring at a hole in the garage waiting for the hobie to dock.  Did get my new FF today and chose the Lowrance Hook2 5 Tripleshot with a Nav+ bundle and the BerlyPro transducer mount to accommodate the long transducer.   I'll likely be in the garage playing with the tutorial screen.  Hoping to avoid having my wife peek in and start laughing.  It wouldn't be the first time

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
How much longer do you have to pine away before your new Hobie gets here? I'm hoping to be ramping down my crazy work schedule soon and am done with some of my shooting competitions for a few months. It's time to get out on the water!  ;D

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Arggg.  Now I find that even though the hobie isn't here, the careful planning for the Lowrance Hook2 5 Tripleshot has a new transducer that doesn't fit the Berley Pro adapter plate that connects to the Lowrance ready (not!) 2018 Hobie revolution.  Revo is supposed to be here before 5-11, and if it's the worst problem I have, life is still good.

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
Slim change I find a window Saturday morning but I will most likely be out tomorrow evening post-work at Edmonds if I can find a parking spot.

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
Made it out yesterday, straight into the bathtub.  Forgot to charge my battery so the sonar died in 5 min.  Waited it out for a while messing around the ferry launch pilings until it calmed down a bit then hit the marina riprap wall.  Tried fishing a big swim jig and paddletail swimbaits all around the zone but only got a bunch of rockfish (one almost pushing 5#) for my efforts.  Fun times but not the conditions or the fish I was looking for.  If I go out again may look for some deeper structure off of the wall.

If anyone gets out there this weekend let's hear the reports!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Would a net be overkill?  I figured I might be able to get away with a pair of lip grippers.

Nets do come in handy when landing a "hitch hiker".  Sometimes, lings will hang on for dear life, all the way to the surface but let go once they get to the top. 

-Mark-

A nice sharp gaff will grab hold of a hitchhiker just fine and doesn't grab any wind in OR. In WA you may want to bring a net.

Also, unless you are having a miserable day you are looking for the lings you don't need to measure. I have seen plenty of greenies bleed out a couple of 23" fish then cry crocodile tears when they proceed to catch much nicer ones that have to go back a short while later.

I try not to kill a ling if it isn't at least 27“ as there just isn't enough yield.

Conversely I won't take any cabs that go much bigger than 25" if I take them at all. The big cabs are what makes all the small ones. The exception to that rule is ORC of course, but even then I would feel bad. The last big cab I kept years ago was chock full of worms and I felt like a douche for killing it. Definitely wasn't worth the few bucks I took off the homies in the mbf pot.

+1
Fat 26" is my minimum ling size, but 27" is usually a good bet for meat.  I also have a cap (that I have yet to reach) at 38".  Any longer than that and it's for sure a female, and probably loaded with worms and such. 

Cabby's are a love/hate fish for me.  I absolutely hate to filet them, as getting all the meat is hard with a knife, great meat just hard to get it all. .  If I keep another cabby, it will be small enough to just gut and bake whole.  There is a ton of meat in the head that is chop stick friendly once baked, but nearly impossible to get at with a knife. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I've fished Edmonds a couple times off the dock this year and was out in my yak on the 2nd caught alot of rockfish, few different varieties at that. No ling's however, I'm planning on heading back out there on Sunday morning for round two, hopefully I'll have better luck than last time.

anything