Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Another FF thread  (Read 5964 times)

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
I'm of the opinion that you can't get too big of a screen  >:D.  I'm using a 7" currently and I wish I had a 9".

For deeper sound water I'm not using it too much but for freshwater I love having downscan.  Its a great tool to find structure and also to determine if what you are seeing in the sonar screen is actually fish or weeds or what with it's superior separation.         

The few times I've had sidescan show up well I am amazed and ready to use it but I still haven't been able to dial in the proper ping/scroll settings that will work with our kayak speeds.  Once dialed it will be invaluable for fishing docks which was 90% of the reason why I wanted a side-scan model.  I've seen some people online claiming to use it for more open water like the sound to determine baitfish schools and which side of the boat they are on but I haven't been too successful at this yet.             

I was able to find a school of perch in 70ft+ of water at lake stevens a few weeks ago and drop a jig down to get one - video game fishing is good fun when it works out. 

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'm kinda shocked that no one has asked quite possibly the most important question this thread needs an answer to: is Trident 13 going to change his name to Revolution 13!?!?   ;D

I have been using a Garmin side scan unit for a couple of years now and while I REALLY like the signal return shown on the screen, the jury is still out on whether the connections for the transducer to the head unit are designed well enough to hold up to being used on a kayak. I needed to warranty the transducer because it didn't seem to react well to salt water.

As for mounting the transducer, I designed and printed a nose guard based on the same idea as the berly pro guard, since the thing needs to be mounted outside of the Lowrance Ready mount. This part of the system has been working well so far. I may end up printing another guard for the back end of the transducer as it is getting a little scratched up.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Rawkfish, you're not the first to ask about the name lol.  With the Trident, I had to make it easy  ??? so all I had to do is go look in the garage to remember.   
That printer is doing a fine job for you and judging by the scratches, the cover has to be strong or you should consider a bigger cart :violent1:  Very interested if you make the longer one.

I'll be ordering the FF Friday morning so it should be here about the same time as the papaya "Trilution 13" with the 180 drive!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:45:55 AM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Did get my new FF today and chose the Lowrance Hook2 5 Tripleshot with a Nav+ bundle and will use the BerlyPro transducer mount to accommodate the long transducer.  Looks like I'll have to read the instructions or wait for the hobie to make sure it fits.  I'll likely be in the garage playing with the tutorial screen in the dark hoping my wife doesn't catch me and burst out laughing like the last time...

Trident 13

• Salmon
I'd strongly suggest anyone looking at the Hook2 Tripleshot to mount in the Hobie ready transducer mount to hold until I find ways to work through my challenges.

After ordering the Hobie, I checked with Lowrance, Berelypro and Hobie to make sure all three were in agreement that my package would be compatible. I've now learned that the the new Lowrance Hook2 Tripleshot transducer doesn't fit in the Berley Pro adapter plate that lowers the transducer far enough so the Lowrance ready 2018 Hobie revolution sidescan works. 
I don't have the hobie yet so I can't do trial fitting in the boat, but there are no screw mounts on the tripleshot transducer.  I did learn that for about $330 I can get a different Lowrance transducer compatable to the Hook2 5 that will fit the Berelypro adapter and work.  With that I could chirp split screens a the same time.  However, the thought of spending $330 to make my $400 FF work is having the great effect of clearing my arteries of all blockages, lol.  I have some ideas for solutions and calls into Hobie who are researching the issue, as is Berleypro.  I think I could do some cutting/fitting to get the Berleypro to hold the transducer, but I need the Hobie to make the package would fit.
It is slightly satisfying to have some of the players scratching their heads besides just me.  Borrom line is the Hook2 is new enough that there are some compatability issues with the sidescan transducer that comes with the FF package and the adapter plates that are made for the Hobie transducer mount.  Stay turned. 

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Does the cupped piece stick out below the hull of the Revo?  Maybe you could talk one of these guys that have a 3D printer into making you a TridentPro-berleyProHack-transducer cover?  Or does that end of the transducer even need to be covered as long as the nose is protected (and you don't go reversing into obstacles)?? 

Trident 13

• Salmon
bb2fish, I've had that same thought, whacking the end off and leaving it exposed as did. Rawkfish did a very nice job printing his "nose cone", a process I find pretty interesting. There are times I think it would be easier to by a printer and just print my fish rather than all of this anguish, but then I realize the luck of having something as insignificant as this be the research problem of my day. :book1:
I'm waiting to hear from Berley and Hobie and will try to resist any temptation to start whacking to make it fit before I have all of the parts, lol.  I mostly wanted to make anyone else aware that some challenges exist if they were at the point of deciding.  Rawkfish has proven it doesn't need to be covered, but like you point out, there's a price to pay if not careful.  If the Hobie comes before I decide on a solution, I can always go over the side since I have the Scotty equipment. 
On the Trident I removed the arm and replaced it with a stiff galvanized piece of strap steel which almost eliminates the noise going through the water, and then replaced that with a thru-hull magnetic attachment, but still catches kelp and shitamuck as you go along.

DPL

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Hey trident, I recently set up the same thing you're working on - Revo 13 with tripleshot transducer. I think Hobie may make a cover for the leading edge much like what Rawkfish printed, but I wanted full coverage protection for the transducer, so I went with the berley pro cover and everything - chirp, downscan, and sidescan - works great. If I recall correctly (I had a flurry of new experiences rigging the boat, so some of the details are fuzzy in recollection), the transducer is just kind of sandwiched between the "cup" part of the cover and the adapter plate. Those two screw together and the whole unit then screws into the Lowrance Ready-ish (tm) scupper.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Thanks DPL. Great customer service from southwind kaya center in Irvine CA. Turns out they sent the wrong one and are immediately sending the right one with a return mailing slip. Just as nice of Hobie to follow up and Lowrance did well too.  It sounds like the one they are sending is just what you describe, just a mixup in shipping. No harm done as the revo isn’t here yet anyway. Usually when I open things before everything is together I lose something, but this time it paid off. Just got a note the battery is in as well. Eager to get out.
Am thinking about tossing out a gotomeeting invite for anyone who wants to compare experiences after watching some training videos. Also looking in the Auburn/sumner area to toss out and invite at half-lion brewery. They will let us bring a yak in on a table to poke and prod talking about setups. But for now, it’s a waiting game.

DPL

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Awesome. Sounds line it was a minor pain in the butt, but will all be squared away before your boat arrives. Cheers, Nic

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
What battery did you go with, Trident13?  Also, show a pic of the updated fit of the transducer once you get the correct parts.  Glad to hear you received adequate customer service follow through with the companies you mentioned.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Just a universal 9A battery and charger from amazon for $30. Plan to get a second at that price and keep on on the charger (thanks for the advice Brad). Hobie should in in this week along with the new transducer mount. Good service from everyone during the minor slip but can’t complain.
I have to be in Wenatchee for a couple of days late this week and plan on picking up a downrigger on CL. Good price. I have a small Scotty that fit in the cover on the trident but want a one handed one. There are two DR over that way for good prices. If someone in the area wants one I’d pick it up for them. Shoot me a PM if anyone’s interested.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Wiring issue:
I’m going to silicon the battery connections tight. I’m planning to use a 3-way connection wired to the battery. I’ll have a ground and one power line going to the FFer. That will leave an extra power wire. I’ll put the same female connection on my battery charger so I can unplug the battery from the revo and use the same plug into the charger.

My question is, can I run the power to a phone charger and splice a ground wire back into the battery and FFr ground. Anyone see a problem with feedback to the FF through the ground?  For right now I’ll just pinch/tape off the extra power but will have it for use later if I choose. Thanks

Trident 13

• Salmon
The actual Berelypro tripleshot transducer aftermarket cover seems to work well.  The long transducer fits in snug and there's a small plate that screws to the cover to hold the transducer secure from tipping side to side. 

Good customer service after initial confusion with the wrong model.  Everything is all set to go now, just waiting for the Revo to arrive.  I'll be meeting up with Brad at the Paddle Festival on Lake Samamish early Saturday morning looking for some mounting and gear track suggestions.  Picking up a small cannon downrigger while in Wenatchee and will look at a mount similar to Pete's and a few others.  Great plans to follow.

Will also follow up with a wiring picture.  I'm planning on installing an iphone cnnection to the battery for very limited use, but might be appreciated somewhere down the line as long as I have time.   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:46:09 PM by Trident 13 »

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
That's WAY better on the fit.  Good deal getting it sorted out.

anything