Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:44:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Tiger Muskies  (Read 1934 times)

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Had a fun couple of days last week chasing Tiger Muskie from my kayak on Lake Tapps.  'The Fish of 10,000 casts" has been my experience targeting them in the past did not hold true the two days I hit the lake.  With the lake being 76 degrees I found they were holding in deeper/  cooler water.  The first day I landed a monster and my PB.  I didn't tape it but with a head and tail hanging well over both rails of my 38" Hobie Pro Angler, the fish had to be in the mid to upper 40's. The fish had monster girth.

Day two I would find two more. One with a deformed back and the other quite healthy.  I wish we had more options closer to Seattle than just Tapps and Mayfield. I know they once stocked these fish in Greenlake.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Nice job for sure!  That should count for some AOTY points!
Three in two days is impressive.  Did it look like the one with the deformed back had been hit by a boat/prop?  That happens in WI as they sometimes lay right on the surface sunning.
The girth on the one in the first picture is impressive!  You should hook up with the mole trappers as many good baits model rodents...

Here's a nice one from WI, but the water wasn't 76 degrees.  Same basic stripping pattern
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:49:49 PM by Trident 13 »

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Fantastic Fish, Brad !  Wow, that's a beauty.

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Very impressive fish indeed!

As for the ones they had stocked in green lake, the story I heard from my dad when I was interested in musky was that after they planted them they basically took over and the wdfw was forced to eliminate then to restore the balance of the lake... But hey now we have 45# catfish in there lol

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I’ve never heard of someone bite in WA, but it happens from time to time in the Midwest. Usually with a youngster is splashing toes or hands in the water. Not sure what Brad was tossing, but 12inch baits are pretty common. Trolling is big in fairly shallow water around sandbars.

Pictures at the end are graffitic

https://www.twincities.com/2017/07/21/muskie-attack-girl-11-recovering-from-scary-encounter-on-minnesota-lake/

https://www.twincities.com/2017/07/21/muskie-attack-girl-11-recovering-from-scary-encounter-on-minnesota-lake/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:31:07 PM by Trident 13 »

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

As for the ones they had stocked in green lake, the story I heard from my dad when I was interested in musky was that after they planted them they basically took over and the wdfw was forced to eliminate then to restore the balance of the lake... But hey now we have 45# catfish in there lol

I talked to the WDFW warm water biologist (during the big catfish story) about the Tigers in Greenlake. He told me they didn't last long in there.  It wasn't them removing them it was anglers there that didn't know what they were and took them as part of their daily catch.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

I talked to the WDFW warm water biologist (during the big catfish story) about the Tigers in Greenlake. He told me they didn't last long in there.  It wasn't them removing them it was anglers there that didn't know what they were and took them as part of their daily catch.

wow,  eating something out of Green Lake,  that is courageous!
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007

Ohh, well I stand corrected, thanks Brad. Go figure people not knowing what they're catching and still taking them anyway, probably didn't even know if they could keep them or not... Cause stuff like that 'never' happens... anyway awesome fish you caught in tapps and thanks for clearing up what happened to them in green lake. Tight lines all!

JohnMckroid

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Beautiful fish, Congratulations on your PB !

anything