Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Tillamook bay bottom fishing. 9/27/18  (Read 5368 times)

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Fishing was good in tillamook bay today. East wind died down early, incoming tide and light west wind pushed all of the salad up bay too! Had the whole south jetty to myself. Spent 4 hrs in the yak actually out there fishing. Totals: 86 black rf (couple dozen of which were piggies), 7 copper rf, 4 blue rf, 8 kelp greenling (half were 20"+ toads) and one shiner sp. I also caught 22 black rf from the N jetty prior to launch, right at daybreak. They were smashing bait on the surface.  Good times 😀.  Hit the N jetty again before i went home, through high slack, without a bite. Was hoping for some striped sp action.....nada. . Not even a nibble from rf on my gulp.  I really need to stop bothering with high tide....fishing sucks. Anyone ever want to tag along, pm me.  I have extra yaks too..........

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Sounds like a great day on the water.  Way more productive than trolling for salmon like everyone else.  Nicely done and thanks for the report. 
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

codeman

• Rockfish
I like it when the bay is full of salmon, keeps all the PB up in the ghost hole or over along the N jetty......i get the south wall to myself 😀

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
WOW!!! These are amazing numbers!!
I am already happy when I catch a handful of fish when fishing for rockfish at Tillamook Bay...... Did you catch them all on gulp?

codeman

• Rockfish
All i use for rf....3" gulp minnows or 3" gulp squid. Took me years to figure out jetty/bay fishing. My key.....gulp, go small, go light, and fish slow. Those fish are lazy.  1/4 oz jig head, 3" gulp minnow, 6# cabelas pro line, 7ft med light rod. I catch most fish just drifting. Usually the more aggressively  I jig, the fewer bites i get. Because i go light, i need slow current. There's 20X  more slow current around low slack vs high slack, hence, i always target low tide. High tide sucks in my experience. Id be down for organizing a group.....just not on a weekend.....ugh that place is a zoo on weekends...

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Wow!  Those are some good numbers.  Most I ever caught there was about a dozen and they were all small.  I also just use gulp minnows and light tackle but I usually rig them up on a Crappie rig with about a 3/4 oz Big Hammer at the bottom for the weight.  I usually jig pretty aggressively though, maybe that's the key, just drift or hold position in the current.
I wouldn't mind getting together sometime to go to the jetty.  I was looking at next Thursday or Friday but the low tides are way too early in the AM or late in the afternoon (usually too much wind by then).
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Nice catching - Sounds like you put on a jetty clinic out there!!

codeman

• Rockfish
Wow!  Those are some good numbers.  Most I ever caught there was about a dozen and they were all small.  I also just use gulp minnows and light tackle but I usually rig them up on a Crappie rig with about a 3/4 oz Big Hammer at the bottom for the weight.  I usually jig pretty aggressively though, maybe that's the key, just drift or hold position in the current.
I wouldn't mind getting together sometime to go to the jetty.  I was looking at next Thursday or Friday but the low tides are way too early in the AM or late in the afternoon (usually too much wind by then).

Ya, its usually every other week for the tides. As important as hitting the tide right for current is, time of day is also just as important - a late morning or afternoon low tide is not as productive. Morning low, preferably about 2 hrs after daybreak, is best. If you're not gonna be casting from the jetty before its light enough to see, dont bother going. The first 30 min when you can start to see will catch u more fish than the the rest of the day combined. Its very wind and salad dependent though....if theres much of either, u wont catch squat. As tempting as it is to fish two jigs, i think the sink rate is key. Today they were inhaling it on the drop. Wouldn't feel them bite, just see my line stop sinking. When i upped it from 1/4oz jighead to a 3/8 ti stay more verrical in the wind, my bites went down by 95%. Ive never, in 2 decades of jetty / bay fishing, caught a rf with anything bigger than a 3/8 jighead. Weird, cause i catch them on charters in the open ocean with 2-6 oz of weight.

codeman

• Rockfish

Ya, its usually every other week for the tides. As important as hitting the tide right for current is, time of day is also just as important - a late morning or afternoon low tide is not as productive. Morning low, preferably about 2 hrs after daybreak, is best. If you're not gonna be casting from the jetty before its light enough to see, dont bother going, which sucks in june, cause that means fishing by 4am. The first 30 min when you can start to see will catch u more fish than the the rest of the day combined. Its very wind and salad dependent though....if theres much of either, u wont catch squat. As tempting as it is to fish two jigs, i think the sink rate is key. Today they were inhaling it on the drop. Wouldn't feel them bite, just see my line stop sinking. When i upped it from 1/4oz jighead to a 3/8 to stay more vertical in the wind, my bites went down by 95%. Ive never, in 2 decades of jetty / bay fishing, caught a rf with anything bigger than a 3/8 jighead. Weird, cause i catch them on charters in the open ocean with 2-6 oz of weight.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:40:43 AM by codeman »

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014

Ya, its usually every other week for the tides. As important as hitting the tide right for current is, time of day is also just as important - a late morning or afternoon low tide is not as productive. Morning low, preferably about 2 hrs after daybreak, is best. If you're not gonna be casting from the jetty before its light enough to see, dont bother going, which sucks in june, cause that means fishing by 4am. The first 30 min when you can start to see will catch u more fish than the the rest of the day combined. Its very wind and salad dependent though....if theres much of either, u wont catch squat. As tempting as it is to fish two jigs, i think the sink rate is key. Today they were inhaling it on the drop. Wouldn't feel them bite, just see my line stop sinking. When i upped it from 1/4oz jighead to a 3/8 to stay more vertical in the wind, my bites went down by 95%. Ive never, in 2 decades of jetty / bay fishing, caught a rf with anything bigger than a 3/8 jighead. Weird, cause i catch them on charters in the open ocean with 2-6 oz of weight.
Thanks again for the info.  Hopefully I can make it out there the following week.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
LOL :)

I appreciate all the info shared Codeman!

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Man I am not sure I've seen numbers like that out of Tillamucky bay! Congrats, sounds like you have it totally dialed in!
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

codeman

• Rockfish
Man I am not sure I've seen numbers like that out of Tillamucky bay! Congrats, sounds like you have it totally dialed in!

I had a 250 fish day 2 winters ago. My screen was lit up solid with fish from the bottom to surface, for about a 100 yard section. Perfectly calm, over cast, zero wind, zero salad, zero other boats around. Got to a pt where i didnt touch my reel anymore. Flip bait out, hook fish, swing em in, release, repeat ( unless he strpped line). Caught 75 fish in an hour. Was like fishin in an aquarium. Got bored and went lookin for lings and perch. Had i wanted, i believe i could have topped 500 that day, if my thumbs could have taken it 😀. Its a fine line between 30 or 300 fish....so many variables. Nice weekday in the winter generally stacks things in your favor

codeman

• Rockfish
Codeman, you need to bolt one of these on the side of your yak.

https://www.amazon.com/GOGO-Desktop-Counter-Mechanical-Multiple-unit/dp/B001UE2JQ8?tag=foodscatal-20

Yes, its on my list. I live right off the Multnomah  channel, and have 10ft sturgeon tow me around. Could make some cool vids

anything