Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Tillamook bay bottom fishin  (Read 1233 times)

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Took my 18 y/o son out yakking as a last of the summer father/son day. He leaves for college in less than a mos! Feels weird.....anyways, not the best catching day ever, but we had crazy fun. Brought home 4 big black rf and 4 piggy greenling (0ne was 24", 3-4#). Weather was perfect, and we had the south wall to ourselves....!  Usual 1/4 oz jigheads, 3" gulp minows, 6#  cabelas proline, light action rods.  My totals for the day:
31 black rf
8 copper rf
11 kelp greenling
2 buffalo sculpin
1 cabazon
Son caught around 20 ( he wasn't really counting) including a 22" greenling and some nice rf. He also caught his first ever cabazon and quillback rf...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:16:12 PM by codeman »

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Nice, that's awesome.  I still have never caught a greenling!
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
A 22" greenling?!?!

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Those are huge for T-Bay!  You sure you were in the right place?  ;)
Those Greenling are going to be some good eats!
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

codeman

• Rockfish
The one my son is holding, isnt the biggest, not by a long shot. We generally catch some nice ones out there, but today we caught 4 that were huge. They love those gulp bounced on the bottom....generally only keep rf, i like to eat them better, but the 4 greenling we kept were bleeding badly from the gills. They filled out our limit, so we called it a day. We were out there fishing from 645am -11am. Would have liked another hour, we left them biting, but didnt want to kill any fish we couldnt keep. Rf were mostly lip hooked, the 17 greenling we caugt, mostly inhaled and swallowed the jigs. They were hungry! Next time ill wait to keep any rf to fill my limit till the very end....

codeman

• Rockfish
Tacos de peche mañana..!

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Good to see Tillamook Bay so productive,
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

codeman

• Rockfish
Its actually generally really productive.  Depends on if theres alot of crabbers over there (thier boat noises break up the schools ive found, then its just 1 here, 1 there all day) or wether the wind picks up or if theres a ton of grass in the water. We had pretty near ideal conditions. For the summer in those conditions, id expected slightly better fishing. (Btw, the winter time can be epic. Ive had 200+ fish days out there). We only caught maybe a dozen larger rf ( typically 2 of us would have caught 30 or more larger ones). Total number of fish was lower than normal..... but.....those big greenling were cool. And the cabbie my son caught is the biggest ive seen from the bay. And most importantly, my son had a blast! I try to go every other week, when low tide is in morning, and fish thurs or fri. Anyone interested in a trip, meeting a new fishing buddy, send me a pm!  Also, on the opposite weeks, i head up to the sound to hammer flat fish. Join me on that one too!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:40:44 PM by codeman »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Those RF are the perfect eater size.  I don't usually keep too many RF when fishing the ocean, but when I do I prefer the smaller ones.  Less worms, and not as grainy meat.

No lings, or just no keeper sized lings?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

codeman

• Rockfish
Ya, we didnt catch any of the really large sized rf (for the bay, I know ocean fish are bigger, but we do catch em up to 18" and 4# from time to time).  Ive only caught 6 or 7 lings in the bay total from all the trips, one was right at the 22" minimum, rest were smaller than 18". Ive thought about specifically targeting them with larger jigs and or herring, especially in the winter, but alas, Im not patient enough. Id rather catch 150 rf/greenling, sculpins on 3 inch baits than just a handful of fish, if lucky, on the larger jigs. Thats just me  :)  And if I do decide on a Ling-specific trip in the winter, im thinking more about yaquina. We spend most late dec -early jan down there for our anniversary, and I usually catch quite a few just casting around the finger jetties.  Might be able to slay them from the yak....but also, I just got set up with dry suit, nice paddling style PFD that I'll actually wear, and a VHF radio....so my ling and cabbie fixes might get met launching out of depoe, and garibaldi can continue to be my RF fix !  BTW - ive been keeping RF from tillamook bay for about 5 years now, Ive only ever found 2 worms, in one rf. The ones I just filleted up, like usual, had ZERO worms.....and i check closely.... wifey is squemish about such things....

anything