Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Angler of the Year 2017 (AOTY) - Kickoff and questions  (Read 15124 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
NWKA Angler of the Year (AOTY) 2017 Kickoff

Sponsored by (more coming soon!)

GRAND PRIZE:
(TBD)

SECOND PLACE:
$500 NA GIFT CARD

Kokatat

THIRD PLACE:
$250 AT KOKATAT.COM

If you are new to AOTY please see last year's kick-off thread: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=16731.0

and the rules: http://aoty.northwestkayakanglers.com/

Those two links should answer most of your questions. However, please speak up here if you have further questions/clarifications so that everyone can benefit. And you can PM me as well if you'd prefer to ask something privately.

There are no rule changes this year (a typo or two is all we changed).

I will be working with sponsors again this year, however I am trying to focus on depth instead of breadth with regard to the prizes, so we'll see how that goes.

If you won prizes for 2016 please post pictures on social media with your prizes and tag the vendor and NWKA - it will help us get prizes again this year.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:24:06 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thanks again for all the efforts Cap'n and AOTY committee. If there's anything I can do to assist let me know!
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'll be signing my son Zach up for AOTY this year, he's 15. I noticed there are not many entry's for the youth division. This is probably a silly question, but is it safe to assume he can complete with the rest of us? Based on some of the fish he's caught in past years he has a good chance at doing really well, especially in the rockfish challenge. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I'll be signing my son Zach up for AOTY this year, he's 15. I noticed there are not many entry's for the youth division.

As far as the youth division, I know some friends kids that will be signing up soon that will give him a good run for the money.  It would be nice to see more youth involved.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Casey

• Salmon
I'll be signing my son Zach up for AOTY this year, he's 15. I noticed there are not many entry's for the youth division.

As far as the youth division, I know some friends kids that will be signing up soon that will give him a good run for the money.  It would be nice to see more youth involved.
That's awesome! Maybe we can get some of them out fishing together. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

I'd be down to take my grandson, hopefully seeing other kids kayak fish will help him loose his fear of being on the kayak solo.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Casey

• Salmon

I'd be down to take my grandson, hopefully seeing other kids kayak fish will help him loose his fear of being on the kayak solo.
That would be great! Teenagers can be really capable paddlers! My buddy Skip ate it pretty hard in the surf and was separated from his kayak. It was Zach who was near him and pedaled over to rescue him out of the surf. Skip held onto the back of Zachs kayak while Zach brought Skip and his full waders to shore. Although I was really proud of the boy I'd like for him to get his own butt out of the surf. Tough to chew him out for doing the right thing.
A little off topic, but the point is there is no reason they shouldn't put the cellphones down and catch some fish! Chances are they are more athletic than most of us.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

That would be great! Teenagers can be really capable paddlers! My buddy Skip ate it pretty hard in the surf and was separated from his kayak. It was Zach who was near him and pedaled over to rescue him out of the surf. Skip held onto the back of Zachs kayak while Zach brought Skip and his full waders to shore. Although I was really proud of the boy I'd like for him to get his own butt out of the surf. Tough to chew him out for doing the right thing.
A little off topic, but the point is there is no reason they shouldn't put the cellphones down and catch some fish! Chances are they are more athletic than most of us.

My grandson's only 5  ;D Although he does know how to use an iPhone, iPad, nook ,pc , and PS4

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014

My grandson's only 5  ;D Although he does know how to use an iPhone, iPad, nook ,pc , and PS4
And a fishing rod hopefully.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'll be signing my son Zach up for AOTY this year, he's 15. I noticed there are not many entry's for the youth division. This is probably a silly question, but is it safe to assume he can complete with the rest of us? Based on some of the fish he's caught in past years he has a good chance at doing really well, especially in the rockfish challenge. 

bSteves and I talked about this last year and what we came up with was this: If you have to have an adult license, then you're in the Main Event. If you don't have to have an adult license then you're in the Youth division. I can say that if a Youth division participant would benefit from their placing in the Main Event I would let them choose their prize (between the two).

*EDIT* If you have to have an adult license in your state of residence then you're in the Main Event.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:31:06 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Casey

• Salmon

bSteves and I talked about this last year and what we came up with was this: If you have to have an adult license, then you're in the Main Event. If you don't have to have an adult license then you're in the Youth division. I can say that if a Youth division participant would benefit from their placing in the Main Event I would let them choose their prize (between the two).

*EDIT* If you have to have an adult license in your state of residence then you're in the Main Event.
That makes good since. Thanks for the response.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
^bump^

Added sponsors and some prize info to the first post - check it out!

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
All you have to do is sign up and fish?  You can win all of that for fishing!  It supports our Veterans (HOW)  I'm definitely going to have to get signed up.  You're doing a great job this year.  Thanks for putting this together again.
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thank you! It is a group effort with several other people contributing as well, and a small panel of judges to help keep entries flowing to the leaderboard.

Glad to see you're going to be back at it this year, mister 2016 3rd place!  :)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
For the purposes of AOTY scoring are Spotted bass acceptable for the "Largemouth" category? I know they're not common in Oregon, but several lakes hold some.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL