Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: TIDES  (Read 2419 times)

msstcoastie

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Can someone tell me which source for tides is accurate? "The book" says one thing, and online sources say another.  Every Friday night we have a debate about when to launch because no one knows which is accurate!!
2016 Hobie PA12
2015 Hobie Outback

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
If you're having a brew during the debate, why would you want to change that.  Various factors affect tides, such as inlets, bays, open areas, etc. This is a nice summary:
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/tides/tides08_othereffects.html

Picking a chart for an area and testing the chart against reality might be your best bet?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
For kayak fishing, I find that current predictions are more important than tide predictions.

If you're lucky enough to be fishing an area where NOAA has a current prediciton, this site can be very helpful.
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Regions

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I know a lot of the sites don't account for daylight savings times which may be the inaccuracies you're seeing. The "tides near me" app is accurate as is the tide book that they give out for free every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have definitely had issues with the online data.  What I found interesting is that it appears that the NOAA site is incorrect.  I have found tides4fishing com to be wrong as well.

The books they hand out appear to be correct.  My Navionics app also seems correct.  I need to do more research.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Look at the bay if all the waters gone it's low tide, if all the waters there it's high tide, only time I worry about the tides is if I'm fishing Tillamook bay and I use http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/year/2103.html
It seems to work for me in the bay's here.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

msstcoastie

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
ok.  Sounds like the book and navionics is the way to go! Thanks!
2016 Hobie PA12
2015 Hobie Outback

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Look at the bay if all the waters gone it's low tide, if all the waters there it's high tide, only time I worry about the tides is if I'm fishing Tillamook bay and I use http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/year/2103.html

Mojo, the OP is in Alaska. "Eyeballing" the tides is flat out dangerous in the Cook Inlet. Our tides can swing as much as 25 feet on a big day, and generate currents over 5 knots. Hitting the water at the wrong time can have pretty rough consequences.

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Mojo, the OP is in Alaska. "Eyeballing" the tides is flat out dangerous in the Cook Inlet. Our tides can swing as much as 25 feet on a big day, and generate currents over 5 knots. Hitting the water at the wrong time can have pretty rough consequences.

Guess I should have quoted "smartass" before the looking cuz I can be one, let me know if the website at the  link I posted is accurate for Alaska. Also we don't launch in Tillamook until two hours before low (we check) so we don't get flushed out the ol Pacific drain.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I've found the Tides Near Me app to be reliable. It tends to match up well with the printed book.

Another thing to keep in mind is the size of the tide. Remember that the smaller tides take a long time to turn (long slow/slack period). The larger tides turn more quickly. Just think about the volume of water that is changing. Moving 25 vertical feet of water in six hours (some of the very large tides) results in a very short slow/slack period. Moving 10 or 11 vertical feet feet of water (very small tides) in roughly the same period of time means a much longer slow/slack period.

TALL FORCE

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I have used the NOAA website and another this summer and both were incredibly inaccurate. The most accurate information I have used is looking up Deep Creek in the free booklet and adding 30 minutes.
"You will not catch anything with your hook out of the water, well nothing worth keeping anyway."

anything