Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Winter Willamette Springer  (Read 3958 times)

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I got a wild hair to get out of the house today despite the cold weather and see if the myth of the February springer might possibly come true for me. I got on the water bright and early around 12:30 and had my usual area to myself. This was nice but not productive, so I moved above the bridge and joined a couple of the real old time Sellwood dudes trolling the shallow shelf up there. I love trolling around these awesome guys year after year and it is always fun to hear their stories about the springer fishing in the 80's and what it was like back then. It usually makes me jealous because it took me so long living in Portland to start doing this. Today I didn't have to feel as jealous because I got the only bite up there and the old dudes had to watch. It wasn't the biggest springer on earth but it was one of the most thrilling, simply because I got it a full month earlier than I usually land my first. The only downside is that I am going to be pathologically obsessed with these sebaceous white-bellied diamonds for at least another four months now.
It took a red label behind an inline flasher trolled very slowly close to the floor.
The herring was brined in the tears of Jesus.
Cheers!

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Awesome!  Any shots of the fillet I can drool over?

Almost forgot.....F'n minnowmagnet!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:22:14 PM by snopro »

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Outstanding man!  That's so cool to see a February springer from a kayak.  Well done!

Where can I find those Jesus tears?  :D
aMayesing Bros.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Great fish!
Trying a new way to have new line/hooks ready if I happen to get that lucky. I cut about 3 inches inches off a pool tube and sliced in an inch on one side. Starting on the side away from the highlighter marked slice, set the hook and start winding slowly toward the slice and hook the end in the slice. Repeat with two sets. Like usual, they unwind very nicely from my chair while watching the olympics. I stuck one in a small ziplock in my pdf pocket last time and it seems to work well. Switch out in about a minute with cold fingers. I’ve stuck a small snap swivel on the end of the weight and a double end closed swivel on the end of the shelled lines. Just takes a second to switch and if you start from the cut mark end they come off nicely. I stick the old hooks away from the cut line. Thought someone else might like a shot at it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:50:01 PM by Trident 13 »

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
Awesome!  Any shots of the fillet I can drool over?

Almost forgot.....F'n minnowmagnet!
Snopro, I'm not sure if these shots do the fillets any justice, but I can affirm that the meat has a definite oily sheen to it and I'm sure it will pustulate heavily on the grill later.

Thanks ya'll for the congrats and I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of you on the water this spring.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Congrats!  If you're game for company next time you decide to brave the wild I'm game if you want company.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Very nice!  I'm staring out the window at sideways blowing snow thinking about the new salmon and trout poles I set up yesterday.  Looks like you snuck out at the just the right time!
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
 Nice job ,MM! I was just saying to Hugh that it was my job to head  them tasty morsels off lower in the river before they could get to you guys. And then I went to Merwin,dang it.
Great write up....have a nice bask in the glory of first kayak Springer...I remember those good old days....but NEVER in February!  :o 
 Continued luck to you sir!
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Way to go, Brian! 
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Fantastic! Great work  ;D

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
Nice job ,MM! I was just saying to Hugh that it was my job to head  them tasty morsels off lower in the river before they could get to you guys. And then I went to Merwin,dang it.
Great write up....have a nice bask in the glory of first kayak Springer...I remember those good old days....but NEVER in February!  :o 
 Continued luck to you sir!
Well dberd, maybe it was fear of having to settle for your sloppy seconds that got me out in February in the first place!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Congrats! This is something I want to try for the 1st time this year. If you don't mind sharing, where do you launch from around there? Thanks!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Congrats on the first  :o ...of many I’m sure   ::)

Oh ya almost forgot ..... That F’N Minnowmagnet  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
You know that guy you secretly hate because of his success.  Yeah, that's you Brian.   :laugh:

Way to beat the odds!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
This is awesome! Congrats on this early springer!!

anything