Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Looking for opinions on an alaskan yak  (Read 3994 times)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Sounds like you're already set on a Hobie, but if you want to test ride a Native Propel 13 after break up, I've got two of them.  I'm also a bigger dude and find the P13 to be very stable, easy to paddle when necessary and can confidently stand up to fly fish in lakes.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Sounds like you're already set on a Hobie, but if you want to test ride a Native Propel 13 after break up, I've got two of them.  I'm also a bigger dude and find the P13 to be very stable, easy to paddle when necessary and can confidently stand up to fly fish in lakes.
I can second the stability as TLW has a Slayer propel. I’m 235lbs

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

ppwack02

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
AKfishon,

I'll probably be in touch once break up finally happens. I haven't tried any peddle/prop driven kayaks so i'm really open to everything at the moment. Is there a a native dealer up here?

Thanks,

-pp

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
AKfishon,

I'll probably be in touch once break up finally happens. I haven't tried any peddle/prop driven kayaks so i'm really open to everything at the moment. Is there a a native dealer up here?

Thanks,

-pp

Once in a while REI will get one. And I have noticed that Cabelas is selling them online, so they nay be able to get em up here?  I bought mine second hand.  I've fished a Hobie PA14 and liked it, but I like the cycling motion of the Native better.

leith010

• Herring
It’s interesting that no one has talked about the Hobie Adventure Island.  I bought a used one couple of years ago (single person)  and couldn’t be happier. I can car top it easily. It is set up with two outriggers and is very stable . I only use the right outrigger so I can fish off the left, and I have a downrigger mounted on the left as well.    The outriggers each have trampolines, so there’s a ton of room for gear (or black lab) if needed. I’m hoping to run four shrimp pots this summer at once, and I should have enough room to do that. It’s pretty fast. I don’t feel like I’m wasting a lot of energy when pedaling.  It also came with a mast and sail which I have only now begun to use. The problem is, I’m not sure how many Adventure Islands are available in Alaska.  Also, I weigh about 200 pounds and have no problem. I really don’t know how 270 pounds would work.

ppwack02

• Krill
AKfishon,

I'll have to go in to Cabelas and ask if they plan on getting any shipped up for summer. I do like that the weight capacity is 500lbs. What do you think of the overall quality of the yak? Any complaints or noticeable things to look at? I have heard about grass getting stuck around the drive. I have a 600 dollar gift card to Cabelas so that may sway me a bit.

Thanks,

-pp

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
AKfishon,

I'll have to go in to Cabelas and ask if they plan on getting any shipped up for summer. I do like that the weight capacity is 500lbs. What do you think of the overall quality of the yak? Any complaints or noticeable things to look at? I have heard about grass getting stuck around the drive. I have a 600 dollar gift card to Cabelas so that may sway me a bit.

Thanks,

-pp

Love the quality, only complaint I could make may be the turning radius, any other issues you may see folks discuss such as cracked drive housings and steering cables breaking have been addressed by Native the past few years.  There are also a few manufacturers selling after-market upgrades that are awesome. Again, not to bash Hobie, but when I stood in my buddy's 2015 PA, I could feel the floor flex which did not give my a lot of confidence for long-term durability and from what I've heard, the new models have even thinner plastic in some areas.  But, if you follow kardinal84, he has been in Outbacks for a hell of long time and I've never heard him complain.  Guess the best advice I can give is try out as many as you can and decide for yourself.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Not in AK, but I run a Slayer Propel 13 around Puget Sound.  Quality is rock solid construction, no problems with the rudder system or drive unit (for me, I know others have had issues).  I do have the aftermarket aluminum rudder from Boonedox, which helps with turning radius.  There’s also an aftermarket rudder control lever from Berleypro, which would help even more (increases the swing range on the rudder).  The prop drive is susceptible to wrapping up grass and weedy growth, but there’s a gizmo called Weed Guardian that takes care of that too.

The choice between a Hobie and a Native, for me, came down to how my knees liked the drives.  Our local harbor has a dealer for both, so I got a side by side trial run.  The push-pull stair stepper motion of a Hobie caused painfully stabby feelings in both knees after about 20 minutes test drive.  Flipped over to the rotary bicycle pedaling of the Native, and both knees felt just fine. Made the choice really easy!

So do yourself a big favor and try both!
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I've got an adventure island I'll make you a deal on. 

If you don't want that, Wilderness Way in Soldotna has a selection of Hobies to look at.  And I prefer their customer service to the other place in AK.

I've fished out of revo 13, outback, original PA, and an AI.  All have their pros and cons.  For someone your size, I would be leery of the revo without a test ride.  They can be difficult to get in and out of for a big guy.  The outback is an awesome platform for a bit of everything.  The PA and AI are very very stable and have lots of room to fish from.  My favorite setup for the ocean around here is the AI rigged Polynesian style.  Lots of stability and you can still pedal it pretty quickly to gain some ground if you're fighting the current.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I can't remember what boats they had, but West Marine had a couple pedal kayaks for sale when I was in there last fall. They were propeller style boats.

One more comment on the Revo. I can remember fishing with someone who had a Revo when the wind came up. He headed for shore and commented how he had to be on top of his game all the way in. I took my time, fished, and caught several more fish on the way in. The water wasn't real fun in the PA, but I never felt unsafe and I was able to float and land fish without any problem.

I'm starting to get the itch to start fishing again. I missed the derby and will wait for a little warmer weather.

nautal

• Krill
I would try all that you can before you buy, I tried the hobies ( I like the back and forth instead of bicycle motion) and they are adjustable length for your legs.
I am 6', 220lb. on my hobie drive I use the 5th of 7 leg length setting and I straiten my legs out full.
so you would have two more adjustments on the 180 drive which should be more than enough for your height.
I have put almost 100miles this year on mine without any problems just grease and rinse if you do salt.
I tried the compass and found it too small but very agile in the water.
I put the outback on truck rack but that is getting old.
Get a truck bed extender from harbor freight or someplace.
The Outback is 88lbs empty can be carried but PA is alot more.
Dolly/carts are nice, don't buy a cheap $30 on ebay though.
The seat is very important if you fish all day. My Outback 2017 and the PA's have, in my opinion much better adjustibility and comfort than compass for 8-12hr in the seat. If you want to troll a lake you can do 1-2mph all day without wearing yourself out.
but at the 8-10hr mark you should head to shore for 30min to rest your butt and stand up.
On lakes or rivers manuverablitity is important, unless you fish wide open places you want to be able to get in tight spots and maneuver around trees, sunken logs, rocks.
Saltwater had the outback in 8-10ft swells at 13 sec (noaa bouys) in the ocean can peddle and paddle/fish 8am-630p no problem, I think a longer revo 14-16 would have a much nicer though.
In the ocean or bay the hardest part is the shore break going out and coming in.

Oh and if your going 4mph and dead stick a rock with your peddle fins it will severely bend even the solid stainless masts they put into them.  Luckily, you can still make it home and straiten them no problem. Don't ask how I know this.

Overall you need to try out the different systems Jackson, hobie, etc to find out what fits you before you buy.

ppwack02

• Krill
I ended up going with an outback. I absolutely love it, just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

PP