Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Drysuit layering question  (Read 1800 times)

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Today was my first day in a drysuit, and I was expecting to not overheat. The outside temperature was about 50 degrees and I had two very thin layers underneath. I had to stow away the drysuit in the front hatch after about a half hour of trolling, and I only have about 6% body fat (natural insulation ;)). How do you guys even wear a drysuit if the outside temperature is above say, 55 degrees? Maybe I'd be a lot cooler on an overcast or rainy day, but was surprised my Kokotat Hydrus suit got so warm while trolling at no more than 2 mph.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
How do you guys even wear a drysuit if the outside temperature is above say, 55 degrees? Maybe I'd be a lot cooler on an overcast or rainy day, but was surprised my Kokotat Hydrus suit got so warm while trolling at no more than 2 mph.

We pour water on it.  A Big Gulp cup will do it.   :D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
my observation is that sun is more of an issue than air temperature (another reason to love cloudy coastal days). 

second issue for me is level of effort, covering 2 miles in 30 minutes for example on my Oasis is going to include, in safe conditions, unzipping the front once or twice for a quick venting. 

I almost always wear thin merino wool base layers, including long sleeve top, under my Kokatat Supernova Angler, mine are Icebreaker 200 weight (the camo patterns go on big sale now and then, 60 to 70% off), these thin layers provide warmth and and insulating layer if I go swimming.  On days over 65F I will go to short sleeved top.  on 40F or lower, I'll add fleece bottoms and a thin wool sweater top.

cheers, roger

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Dark colored dry suits or areas on the top of the legs that are black can really absorb the heat of the sun. 
Keep this area cooled with water.  You can also take a big white cotton T shirt and wear it over your suit and keep it wet.
Being cotton, it won't dry as fast as the dry suit will so you can take advantage of the evaporative cooling effect.  You can also lay a cotton T over your legs to reflect the effects of the sun. 

My feet tend to hand over the sides in the cool water while fishing, and when I am not actively covering water.

I also use a neck tube to keep the latex gasket about a half inch from touching my neck.  This allows the inside of the suit to vent hot air out and take in cooler air as needed.  I'm 6' 225# and keep fairly comfortable even on the hottest days on the water.

Bottom line, dress for the water temp, not the air temp.  Do what ya gotta do to keep the suit cooled from the outside. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks, guys. I'll try some of those ideas. Yes, it was full sun yesterday, and my suit is mostly black with some dark blue. I plan to use the drysuit for the ocean, which is generally overcast. I did put it back on and tested it by walking into the 45 degree water, and realized I would have been under dressed for long term immersion. I've been using a wetsuit in the ocean and needed a relief zipper, so looking forward to that feature.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks, guys. I'll try some of those ideas. Yes, it was full sun yesterday, and my suit is mostly black with some dark blue. I plan to use the drysuit for the ocean, which is generally overcast. I did put it back on and tested it by walking into the 45 degree water, and realized I would have been under dressed for long term immersion. I've been using a wetsuit in the ocean and needed a relief zipper, so looking forward to that feature.

I feel ya on the zipper Kyle, I have been debating getting one stitched into my wetsuit.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Kyle, your dark suit is the biggest contributor to your over heating.  Try wearing an oversized white button up shirt over your dry suit. That and have a white cotton shirt to put over your legs to help keep from absorbing the sun's rays.

You should see a dramatic difference in comfort.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

I feel ya on the zipper Kyle, I have been debating getting one stitched into my wetsuit.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I am almost constantly too warm in my drysuit if it's sunny until the temp gets below 45 or depending on the amount of wind. I feel your pain!

I dump a lot of water on my lap, fresh water on my head/hat/buff, hold my hands and feet in the water, etc. to help cool off.

Ironically some days when my body is roasting my feet are numb. Thanks genetics!

Ek-Balam

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
This may be of interest:

https://www.colormatters.com/color-and-heat-absorption

(the last three paragraphs are the meat)

Insayn and the Captain are correct, dark colors do thermal load more quickly. However, there are numerous factors that skew the rate and amount. In optimal conditions, i.e.; White v. Black, cloudless day, etc. the % differential is between 5%-7% more for dark shades (the conclusion in the article above seems to support this also). 5-7% is not all that much unless it's your back end sweating!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
This may be of interest:

https://www.colormatters.com/color-and-heat-absorption

(the last three paragraphs are the meat)

Insayn and the Captain are correct, dark colors do thermal load more quickly. However, there are numerous factors that skew the rate and amount. In optimal conditions, i.e.; White v. Black, cloudless day, etc. the % differential is between 5%-7% more for dark shades (the conclusion in the article above seems to support this also). 5-7% is not all that much unless it's your back end sweating!

I keep it simple for myself. 
Similar to black or dark blue cars with black interiors on a 90 degree day.  TOO DAMN HOT to just simple jump in and drive away, as it usually requires running the A/C for a bit to get the temperature of the car's interior to drop and reduce the thermal transfer of heat from the interior to the air you are sitting in.  However, with a white car with light gray interior on a 90 degree day it will be warm inside, but not scorching hot.  Just opening the doors to let the hot static air out usually is all that is needed to make the interior more than comfortable to just get in and go without the need to run the A/C. 

Wearing loose fitting white clothing over your suit will do wonders to keep your body heat in check on a warm sunny day.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
It's easier to cool down than it is to warm up!

If I get hot while kayaking in a dry suit, I splash water on my arms and legs and dunk my hat in the water.  Or I take advantage of the warm weather to slide into the water and practice climbing back onto my kayak.

If the weather gets cold and windy during the day, and you don't have enough clothing under your dry suit to keep yourself warm, it's harder to warm up.  The first thing I do is put on a warm hat and some gloves.  In a pedal kayak, you can keep knitted gloves dry, but in a paddle kayak I put on neoprene paddle gloves.  If the weather looks threatening, I toss a light parka and/or a pile jacket big enough to fit over my dry suit inside my kayak.  If adding a hat and gloves doesn't keep me warm, I take off my PFD, put on the parka and/or pile jacket, and put my PFD back on.  If your parka is big enough, you may be able to put it on over your PFD.  Remember, however, that if you end up in the water while wearing a pile jacket over your dry suit, it will soak up water, get heavy, and make it harder for you to get back into your kayak.  A parka won't add much weight if you end up in the water.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hey Kyle, I've found that having two layers on my legs almost always causes me to overheat. I like to wear a single bottom layer and layer up my upper body as needed. I figure my core is still well insulated and I'm always warm enough when practicing reentry in cold water. The boat ramp at Chinook Landing is a great spot to give it a try in sub 50 degree water, or some where like Lost Lake. My goto drysuit outfit is long underwear, shorts, long sleeve light-weight breathable base layer, optional middle layer(depends on temp), and a medium/heavy columbia fleece.

anything