Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Age Old: PA or Outback?  (Read 2397 times)

michilutiiq

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
So as my 50th bday approaches, the wife opened up the purse and says I can buy a new kayak to replace my 2010, hole-filled (b/c I loved accessorizing) outback.

I loved the Pro Angler when I first saw it in 2010, but bought the outback b/c weight, drag, and turn radius; however, that was the 14'. The 12' weighs only 19 more lbs (unloaded), and it looks soooo sick! Practicality tells me to go with another Outback, but 'dat PA, though!

Talk some sense to me (either way)...

Mak2014

• Rockfish
  • Natural born fish killer
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Personally if it was me, I would go for PA.  You’ll still have the outback if you need it...unless you’re trying to get rid of it.

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Revolution 13! Fast, efficient, stable enough.

WestFork

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Ah, one of "life's persistent questions!"  :-)
As an OB fan I have to point out I've noticed the greater drag of the PA affects top speed and range of some. Would sure be nice to have an objective measure of drag with a specific weight between the two with new, unscarred hulls.
There is, btw, no bad choice here.
        Dave

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
Buy a Native Slayer Propel  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
From a performance perspective the higher the fineness ratio (L/W), the narrower it is, the more efficient.  The wider it is, the more stable it is, the harder it is to fall out. These things matter after several hours of peddling towards your 50th (or 62nd 😀) birthday.

Also depends on the type of fishing you do.  Standing flyfishing on a calm lake or bottom fishing in the ocean.

I picked the revo 13 for efficiency and it is lower to the waterline, for easier getting ass back on.  It is a little narrower hence easier ass going off in first place.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

michilutiiq

• Lingcod
Thanks all for input. I'm going with the known, back to another Outback. I think I could lift/heft the PA around, but for $1k more I'm not sure the stability is necessary. That is the original fishing kayak I fell in love with in DC when I bought my current Outback 10 years ago, but the salesman talked me 'down' from PA to Outback for maneuverability and weight.

I'm doing ocean fishing with very little standing...well...with NO standing when going Outback b/c I'm old, fat, and clumsy. We have a Revo 13 and going with that and an Outback is kind of the equalizer between me and the wife for speed. We also have a second Outback already...which was what made me think a PA would be a good boat to add to the "fleet," but yeah....I'm going Outback. I LOVE (and probably will forever love as if she is the one-that-got-away) the PA...but I think that extra $1k will be much better spent on accessories! :-) [Strike strong when the purse is open!]

michilutiiq

• Lingcod
@mojo ...do you find the Native Propel to be better than (or significantly favorably different from) the Mirage drive?

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
@mojo ...do you find the Native Propel to be better than (or significantly favorably different from) the Mirage drive?

I've got one too.  For me, the drive and how it feels with my old, creaky knees is the big difference.  The straight stair-stepper motions on the Hobie drive gave me sharp little stabby pains under the kneecaps after about 20 minutes of pedaling a trial boat around our little harbor.  Switched over to the Native trial boat (our local shop handles both), and the pain went away with the rotary bicycle-style drive.

The instant reverse is nice but not a huge factor out in open waters.  Stability is great, I have never felt like I was pushing the boat's limits.  There are gear tracks all over the place, lots of accessories you can rig, etc etc.  The downside (for me) is that there's no factory sailing options, no mast step like Hobie provides.  So I have done a home-built version that, let's just say is still in early experimental stages...

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

I don't think he has ever owned a mirage drive haha.  He is just being difficult.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:14:25 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

I don't think he has ever owned one haha.  He is just being difficult.
Just like Roxndox I have old man issues, granted I’m only 46 but I beat the crap out of my body when I was packing trash. Arthritis in the hip as ZachDennis mentioned I have never owned one, however I have peddled a couple revos with the same results as Rox. The circular motion makes my hip WAY happier then back and forth and I can adjust my chairs distance to the drive. Having a bad lower back for reversing I don’t know if I could lean down to pull the 180 drives pin but reverse in the Propel is simple peddle backwards. Speed isn’t an issue I can troll, an out back is about comparable in speed but I get m cavitation where a hobie doesn’t. Revo is a faster ride but I’m not in a hurry. Try them out before dropping several grand on a boat, I’m in Garibaldi if you want to try a Slayer out and I’m available.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Ps. Just noticed your local, a bit of a drive for a test ride  :spittake:

Shannon