Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: U-DA-MAN tourney - Oct 13 - Yaquina  (Read 4922 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
[url]https://www.facebook.com/events/260318387926541//url]

**Registration Now Open!**

U-DA-MAN Fishing Tournament is almost here! "Where size DOES matter!"

Come on down to Englund Marine in Newport, OR to register and check out the awesome Willie Drift Boat that will be raffled off. Ask inside the store for raffle info. Out of town, but want to register? No problem! Call us at 541-265-9275 for how to register by phone/mail.

$35.00 Sign up fee per angler (non refundable). Early sign up bonus: The first 250 applicants will receive a free t-shirt!

Proceeds from the event will be donated for use in the continuing enhancement efforts of the Yaquina River salmon stocks.

Event info:
Check in: 10/13 5:45AM-8:00AM at the South Beach Marina (free launch thanks to the Port of Newport!)
On the water: 7:00AM-3:00PM (sharp) from Yaquina Jetty tip to Toledo Red Barn.
Weigh in: 3:15PM-3:45PM adjacent to New South Beach Marina Fish Cleaning Station

Other locations to register:
Newport Marine Store & Charters
Harry's Bait & Tackle
Sawyers Landing

Champ = $500, Runner Up = $300, Show = $200
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:24:57 AM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

lil_cowboy

• Perch
  • Cowboy up
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
are you entering into the tournament with your kayak

2nd place Tillamook Bay May Day for largest legal crab limit
2018 2nd place Tillamook Bay Day for largest legal crab limit
2010 yellow Hobie mirage outback

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
are you entering into the tournament with your kayak

I have paid my entry fee, but my plans aren't set yet.  I may fish with a friend on his nephew's boat or we might fish off the kayaks. At any rate it's a cool tournament and a worthy cause. That salmon fishery could be a helluva lot better than it is with a little help. I would be super stoked to see someone in a kayak walk away with the quinientos dólares.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:26:31 AM by Ling Banger »

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Who-Da-Man?! I've got a really good itch going on; meaning I have a hunch that there's going to be a good bite this day. I'm really excited to fish this tournament this year but it's going to take quite the effort and a pretty penny $$$ to arrange a babysitter for the day to get out on the water for a couple hours. I'm up for the challenge and hope to see you guys out there! It would be great if there was a decent turnout of the "Plastic Fleet" to represent. If there's someone fairly new to salmon fishing that would like to give this tournament a try, feel free to PM me for a primer or meet me OTW! Cheers :banjo:
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

lil_cowboy

• Perch
  • Cowboy up
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014

2nd place Tillamook Bay May Day for largest legal crab limit
2018 2nd place Tillamook Bay Day for largest legal crab limit
2010 yellow Hobie mirage outback

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I could be into trying this one.  Even though I live only a few minutes from Yaquina Bay, I've never actually fished it for salmon before.  From what I hear, it's a generally low-yield fishery, but it does kick out some nice fish.
aMayesing Bros.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I could be into trying this one.  Even though I live only a few minutes from Yaquina Bay, I've never actually fished it for salmon before.  From what I hear, it's a generally low-yield fishery, but it does kick out some nice fish.
That’s the spirit! Im really excited to just support the cause of this event. With that said, I knew you’d bite Chris lol. I too have never fished Yaquina Bay, which makes this fishery & event that much more awesome! Mark my words, a kayaker has a phenomenal chance of placing in this tournament & the quality of fish is well worth the dream. Let’s have a good time & stick some serious competition to these power boats!
Hugh
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Clayman

• Salmon
Hugh, maybe I'll give it a scouting run this weekend and let you know what I find  8).
aMayesing Bros.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Is the red barn upstream of the runway ramp?  Might be time to mix it up with the PBers again.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
Is the red barn upstream of the runway ramp?  Might be time to mix it up with the PBers again.

(according to an old post on ifish)

The Red Barn hole is designated by a large red barn along the bank about 1.1 miles up river from Cannon Quarry County Park/Boat Ramp.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
"The first 250 applicants will receive a free t-shirt! "  Wow, it's going to be crowded if they're expecting more than 250 anglers.  100+ boats!

Dan_E

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
"The first 250 applicants will receive a free t-shirt! "  Wow, it's going to be crowded if they're expecting more than 250 anglers.  100+ boats!

Dan_E

It's always a pretty well attended event. Used to be a good number of old-timers at The Barge Inn and Mad Dog that wanted bragging rights. Also quite a few Salty Dogs over on ifish likely wait until after the tourney to fog their carburetors. My guess is that the 2-fiddy number is just the minimum order quantity, or where they get a price break on the shirts. There's usually a bunch of them on a rack for sale at Englund after the tourney.

Clayman

• Salmon
Scouting report from yesterday: I found a nice little beach launch spot off Yaquina Bay Road, started trolling a cut-plug herring with the outgoing tide.  Five minutes in, and I hooked a coho.  Ten minutes later, another coho.  For the first hour of fishing, it was non-stop coho action with five takedowns and four fish landed.  I spent more time re-rigging herring than actually fishing!  Most of the action was in the big bend in the bay, near the oyster docks.  I could see the fish stacked up on a slope that went from 12 to 20 feet.  Every pass resulted in a bite.  The coho were nice, fat fish in the 8-10 pound range.

Bite died at slack tide, but fish were still jumping and I was still marking them on the depthfinder.  It was strange, as I usually have good success on slack tides.  Once the incoming tide kicked in, the bite turned back on and I landed a large coho in the 12-13 pound range right in front of my launch site.  Only a handful of boats out fishing, but they seemed to have the same luck as me: lots of coho, zero Chinook.  While I didn’t take anything home, the coho kept things exciting and it was a pleasure to troll for salmon on such quiet water.  It's also cool that this spot is only a five mile drive from the house  8).
aMayesing Bros.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great looking fish photo.  Thanks for the intel.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Great report Clayman!

How much lead were you using? Fishing close to the bottom or were the fish suspended?

anything