Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Fishing for Blackmouth at Point No Point.  (Read 5210 times)

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
As a new yak fisher,  I'm slowly gearing-up my Trident 13.  I haven't had my outboard in the Sound for several years,  but I'd like to try for Blackmouth at Point No Point (Jan. 1st season).  Is it still a worthwhile fishery? 

Any tips about PNP:  hazards for a newbie,  launching,  general observations?  I've fished PNP before,  but I was in an outboard. 

Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
WDFW has a place you can launch from right there. It's not a place to go if you're scared of current or boats. I do really well there and plan on going the 1st.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Sounds like a fun place to fish from what I've read about it. What's the usual way to fish there? My jigging skills are a bit better than last winter (thanks in part to workhard), so I hope it's a jigging thing. :)

kaz

• Perch
Hey Jason.  For winter Blackmouth fishing,  I used to fish Mid Channel Bank off Port Townsend.  The few times I tried PNP in the winter,  I was mooching with plug cut herring,  but  many others were successful jigging Pt. Wilson darts. 

I suspect that I'll be jigging more often as a yak fisher.  Mooching plug cut herring in a yak might be difficult for a newbie.  I really don't know; I always liked to use bait.

BTW: Are we going to get a preview of your "acquisition"? 

kaz (Glen)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
Sounds like a fun place to fish from what I've read about it. What's the usual way to fish there? My jigging skills are a bit better than last winter (thanks in part to workhard), so I hope it's a jigging thing. :)

You can jig if it's not plugged with bait. When it is plugged with bait, usually mid-ebb, mooching is better. Beware of the boats, it's like a washing machine in there from boats wakes. I broadsided two boats getting towed by Chinook during the summer. The current will let you know how much you're in shape, especially if you get caught on the flood. Probably one of the best places to fish in the Sound for Chinook if you have the skills or fortitude to do it.

Fish hard.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
You can jig if it's not plugged with bait. When it is plugged with bait, usually mid-ebb, mooching is better. Beware of the boats, it's like a washing machine in there from boats wakes. I broadsided two boats getting towed by Chinook during the summer. The current will let you know how much you're in shape, especially if you get caught on the flood. Probably one of the best places to fish in the Sound for Chinook if you have the skills or fortitude to do it.
Sounds like I better be on the stationary bike for an hour every couple of days if I'm not out on the kayak then...  ;D

kaz

• Perch
WDFW has a place you can launch from right there. It's not a place to go if you're scared of current or boats. I do really well there and plan on going the 1st.

Yeah.  Years ago, I remember seeing several simultaneous  hookups an hour after the start of ebb tide.  Without prior experience,  it's difficult to gauge the hazards.  However,  I'm anxious to fish PNP.  It's a unique fishery.  I usually return from back east (holiday travel) on 12/31  so I might miss Jan. 1,  but  I'll get there.  A mango Trident 13.

Thanks,  for the tips.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon

Yeah.  Years ago, I remember seeing several simultaneous  hookups an hour after the start of ebb tide.  Without prior experience,  it's difficult to gauge the hazards.  However,  I'm anxious to fish PNP.  It's a unique fishery.  I usually return from back east (holiday travel) on 12/31  so I might miss Jan. 1,  but  I'll get there.  A mango Trident 13.

Thanks,  for the tips.

If you're using a paddle kayak boat positioning would be extremely difficult. It's not talked about a lot, I don't think people realize just how important it is to catching fish 100ft down, but you would have a hard time being effective jigging. Just mooch.

Fish hard.
Fish hard.

kaz

• Perch
I understand your point.  I learned to motor-mooch  at the old sportsman's show that they used to have in the Kingdome during winter (late 90s) .  The mooching instructor was Tony Floor.  He taught a method using: light lines,  long leaders,  sliding sinkers,  single hook-plug-cut herring,  and  back-motoring to maintain a nearly vertical line.  I've had some good results,  but with a paddle-yak  I'll have to make adjustments. I used to specialize in deep-water mooching.  At Mid Channel Bank,  I'd often be fishing at depths to 140' +. 

I'm expecting challenges.  I'm still awaiting new gear to rig my yak, but I plan to experiment on the water  on weekends.  New FF and Marine HH radio should be here this week.  I am even going to sign-up for a paddling class. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
If you have a lot of experience from a boat mooching you'll be fine fishing-wise. For your first trip out I'd recommend something with a little less wind, boats and current though. You don't want to be learning your kayak and balance there,  it's seriously a washing machine. Trident13 rolled his there last summer, I wouldn't want to do that in January.

If you think you can do it go for it though, I fish in crazy current, wind, and numbers of boats at lot - I'm not one to bring you down. Kill em.

Fish hard.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
PNP is a good place to fish, you just need to respect it. My flip was due to a fish hookup, followed by canon ball hangup during a significant ebb flow all at the same time a large wave from a passing container ship passed.  I was prepared for each, just not all at the same time. Make sure you know when slack tide hits, as it won't take long AT ALL for conditions to change significantly.  If the combat type fishing WorkHard thrives in isn't you're cup of tee, you can always move west in the flats and mooch in 70-90 FOW.

Now living 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh and playing with two grandsons.  Brought cane poles from the back yard and looking forward to fishing for pan fish with out 2.5 year old.  Talking with folks about stripper fishing and looking forward to that.  Watching deer in the back yard while typing this and I wish good safe fishing for all.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
January 29, 2009----mooched there with a friend, we were both in Hobie Revolutions, about 1/4 mile out from the Coast Guard station, I heard a cry "TER---I'm in the water!!", my buddy was unable to get back on his boat.  Had tried to take a pee, kneeloing on the back deck and went over--Water temp was 45 degrees, he was wearing a Farmer John wet-suit bottom and cotton parka on top, I pedaled over and tried to help him get back on, was nearly upset myself when he grabbed the gunnel of my boat, so I grabbed him by the back of his  PFD and pedaled for shore, with him hanging onto his boat took about 10 minutes, his time in the drink was about 20 minutes, got him in his truck with heater full blast, he was shaking uncontrollably for 20 minutes or so, he drove home to Tacoma and spent a couple hours in the hot tub before he felt fully recovered...that week we both bought Kokatat dry suits. Thank God for the Mirage drive, if we were in paddle yaks I could not have rescued him. Unfortunately, he died this past April from colon cancer. RIP Rob...

Back to PNP----start at low slack tide, there's a nice beach to launch from. in front of the Coast guard station, the tide will take you west, mooch or jig in about 90-100 feet, right on the bottom. PNP is where I got my first jigged chinook, it was 22#, about 25 years ago, from my little 14 ft Livingston.  I doubt that winter blackmouth have that kind of size anymore, biggest I got past winter was 16#, the next biggest less than 10#.  Most around 5-6#.

Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

kaz

• Perch
PNP is a good place to fish, you just need to respect it. My flip was due to a fish hookup, followed by canon ball hangup during a significant ebb flow all at the same time a large wave from a passing container ship passed.  I was prepared for each, just not all at the same time. Make sure you know when slack tide hits, as it won't take long AT ALL for conditions to change significantly.  If the combat type fishing WorkHard thrives in isn't you're cup of tee, you can always move west in the flats and mooch in 70-90 FOW.

Now living 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh and playing with two grandsons.  Brought cane poles from the back yard and looking forward to fishing for pan fish with out 2.5 year old.  Talking with folks about stripper fishing and looking forward to that.  Watching deer in the back yard while typing this and I wish good safe fishing for all.

I appreciate your perspective.  I've experienced the "combat" fishing at PNP,  but I was in an outboard...not a kayak.  Even then,  I avoided the  crowded drift off the Point.  I've had success fishing the western flats,  and starting a drift (at the Point) in much deeper water.  I'm reasonably certain that the Blackmouth follow the bait,  and the bait can be scattered all over this area.

Good luck with the kiddies.  My earliest memories (3 or 4 yrs. old) are fishing trips with my Pa.  We'd be heading-out in the early dark-hours for bass and pickerel fishing.  We'd bank-fish,  with a bobber-live minnow rig.  I can remember it,  like it was yesterday. 

If your interested in striper fishing you might like, stripersonline.com.  It seems to be a widely popular fishing forum.  There are also some fabulous videos by John Skinner.  Skinner is a fishing wonder.  My brothers,  who fish the Jersey coast and Long Island (NY),  use Skinner's methods for measurable success.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch
January 29, 2009----mooched there with a friend, we were both in Hobie Revolutions, about 1/4 mile out from the Coast Guard station, I heard a cry "TER---I'm in the water!!", my buddy was unable to get back on his boat.  Had tried to take a pee, kneeloing on the back deck and went over--Water temp was 45 degrees, he was wearing a Farmer John wet-suit bottom and cotton parka on top, I pedaled over and tried to help him get back on, was nearly upset myself when he grabbed the gunnel of my boat, so I grabbed him by the back of his  PFD and pedaled for shore, with him hanging onto his boat took about 10 minutes, his time in the drink was about 20 minutes, got him in his truck with heater full blast, he was shaking uncontrollably for 20 minutes or so, he drove home to Tacoma and spent a couple hours in the hot tub before he felt fully recovered...that week we both bought Kokatat dry suits. Thank God for the Mirage drive, if we were in paddle yaks I could not have rescued him. Unfortunately, he died this past April from colon cancer. RIP Rob...

Back to PNP----start at low slack tide, there's a nice beach to launch from. in front of the Coast guard station, the tide will take you west, mooch or jig in about 90-100 feet, right on the bottom. PNP is where I got my first jigged chinook, it was 22#, about 25 years ago, from my little 14 ft Livingston.  I doubt that winter blackmouth have that kind of size anymore, biggest I got past winter was 16#, the next biggest less than 10#.  Most around 5-6#.

Thanks for the recollection,  kallitype. Before I read all of the forums, here and at other sites,   I had planned on wearing my waders and a drytop.  However,  thanks to all the good advice,  I've purchased a Kokatat Hydrus Angler Drysuit.  I also made sure that the drysuit came with a "relief zipper". 

What you have suggested seems like a plan.   I'm familiar with these locations and conditions ,  but I've always viewed them from  a fairly well-equipped outboard.  I might try a test run at PNP before the season opener.  It's probably beneficial to  see what the conditions are like in a yak. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch
Well workhard,  I've had 2 outings on little ponds.  I haven't geared-up the Trident 13 for fishing,  but I'm perfectly comfortable in the yak.  This weekend,  I gotta get out on the salt.  I need the experience of surf-launching,  current,  wind and waves.  My drysuit is so comfortable,  I considered taking a little nap. 

I checked the tides for early January.  The first high is at about 2:15 AM,  and the second high is at 12:48 PM.  After the second high,   there are minus low tides.  The current will be ripping. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14