Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Foggy Bay 8/24-8/30  (Read 8615 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
In 1 week, I'll be here.   ;D  Man, I need a vacation.

Great ling structure.  Some nice flats in and outside the bay for butts.  Yelloweyes!!!  And schools of silvers outside.  A couple miles up Very Inlet there are also some tidal rapids ... play time.  I wonder how a T15 rodeos.   ???

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
On my way up now.  Yeehaw!!!

-Allen

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
go get 'em bruddah. sounds like yak fishing heaven!

hey, let us know if the DeLong Isl's to the west are fishy too. that looks like great structure for all the species you mentioned..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:00:34 PM by wanderingrichard »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Supposed to blow 40 tomorrow.  Fingers crossed we don't get delayed too much.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Off the plane in Ketchikan at 4pm, fishing by 5 for a quick evening session.  10# king in the box.  Lots of quillbacks.  Some pesty arrowtooth and a decent true cod.

Not bad for a couple hours "out front".  Darn ... forgot the camera.

Tomorrow is a prep day and the other guys are coming in.  Storm is still expected to hit full on tomorrow.  Fingers crossed it comes down enough by tuesday that we can get out to Foggy Bay.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm back now.  Out-fricken-standing trip.  Lots of butts up to 30#, swarms of silvers charging the yaks, giant yelloweye, and some nice lings too.  Full report coming tonight ...

-Allen

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

squidgirl

• Salmon
Welll paul Harvey (Allan) ... whats the rest of the story..................... :hmh: :happy1:
"Life is short lets go fishing"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I don't have my flash cards here with me at work, so no pics yet, but I'll just start telling story ... this trip was arranged by Howard McKim in conjunction with Field and Stream for an upcoming story.  I was lucky enough to get an invite to tag along and provide a little support (and fish my ass off!!!).  The plan was to get dropped off in Foggy Bay, 40 miles south of Ketchikan.  Foggy Bay is just north of the BC border.  There is very little information on this area as it is seldom visited.  Some boats cruising the inside passage stop here as it's the first safe harbor after crossing the Dixon entrance from BC.  There is also a fish tender anchored up in the Bay used by salmon trollers in the area.  But we couldn't find any real intel on the area, and Howard had never been there either, which is just what we wanted.  We wanted to explore, to figure things out on our own, to have that real sense of adventure.  The plan was to camp the whole time, avoiding the bears, while finding the fish and crab.  We'd carry all of our stuff on on kayaks and move at least once, probably up Very Inlet which goes a couple of mile back.

My personal goals ... to find a few butts, to get on a wide open silver bite (I had found some info on the net about the silver schools around here), to catch that elusive ling (they are getting rarer closer to Ketchikan), and fingers crossed, to get on a good yelloweye.

I packed large Kalin BigN's in glow for the butts, buzz bombs and coyote spoons for the silvers, various swimbaits and split tails, as well as a few Megabaits.  Yes, I packed too much fishing gear.  I always do.  But I did run out on some, which means next time I'll pack more!!!

Day 1, Monday, a storm is coming through.  The other guys (Eddie and Colby) are scheduled to arrive today.  Eddie is an editor for Field and Stream.  Colby is the photographer.  Eddie gets in first.  Colby comes in later that day.  His bags don't make it.  There is one more flight coming in later today.  His bags don't make that one either.

Day 2, Tuesday, we're scheduled to head out today at 6AM.  But Colby's bags still haven't arrived and there are 20 foot swells from the big storm.  We're going nowhere today.  Colby's bags do eventually show up on the mid-morning flight.  The forecast calls for the storm to blow through with the winds coming should come down overnight.  We're now scheduled to leave 6AM tomorrow.

Day 3, Wednesday, 6AM, we're off.  Finally!!!  We're making the 40 mile run on "The Boat" (http://www.chartertheboat.com/).  We have four T15's strapped down on the roof.  The Boat makes the run at 25 knots and we're there in less than a couple hours.  And thus begins a most glorious day, one of those days that you remember for a long time ...

-Allen

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:51:10 PM by polepole »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Watch out AOTY.. here comes our first batch of Alaska fish! 

Oh wait... are we going to have to have that whole "mothership" discussion again?
"What if the boat drops you off on shore (similar to what you do with you car/truck anyway) and then you paddle out from shore?"  I personally think this kind of trip should count.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the pics Allen.  Or do I have to wait for an upcoming issue of F&S?

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Watch out AOTY.. here comes our first batch of Alaska fish! 

D'oh!!!  I didn't measure a thing.  It was mostly catch and release, except for what we kept to eat that night.  So there won't be any controversy here.   ;)

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Day 3 continues ... the captain drops us off just inside Very Inlet where we unload all our stuff on shore.  We take a quick walk around to decide if it's a good place to camp (it's not) then decide to head offshore to the DeLong Islands where we spotted some sand beaches on the way in.  The thought was that we'd avoid bear problems if we stayed on the islands (which turned out to be a good thought as there were no bear signs at all out there).  Got outside the inlet and see some salmon jumping.  I decided to toss a megabait on them as I was a bit antsy.  No salmon, but immediately got hit by a rockfish.  Decide to keep going as the mission is to set up camp first.  We get half way out to the islands then remember that we need to get water and there is probably no water source on the islands.  We turn right into a cove and as Howard and Eddie head up to find water Colby and I drop back down.  Instant hookups on coppers, quillbacks, and greenlings.  This happens every drop for the next 20 minutes.  Howard and Eddie found a good water supply, but come back with no water.  Apparently Colby and I have the water filters on our yaks.  D'oh!!  Focus Allen, focus ... the mission is to set up camp.  Colby and I head up the cove to fill the water bags while Howard and Eddie will head over to the islands to scout a spot.  Success on both account, we get the water, Howard and Eddie find a great spot.  We take the time to set up camp, both the tents and a cooking area with a tarp about 100 yards down the beach, and by now it is pushing 2PM.

We decide (finally!!!) to go fishing.  Where to go?  Screw the inside and the rockfish ... we're heading offshore for butts!!!  It's a short paddle around the corner and we start dropping to the bottom.  More instant hookups on coppers, quillback, and greenling (notice a trend here?).  Deeper, we must go deeper.  And deeper we go ... heading out to what we think is the 180-200 foot range.  And lo and behold we find the butts.  We caught north of 15 of them between the 4 of us, with your truly pulling top gun CNR-ing 7 of them up to 30#, all on the glow Kalin BigN's (I love those things!!!).  Can you believe that?  We set up camp and paddled directly to the halibut honey hole right out front!!!  We also got some bonus yelloweye which became dinner!!!  It's pushing 5 PM, the time that we had set to head in, giving us enough time to finish setting up camp, cook dinner, and settle in.  No one is complaining because we already had a great day of fishing (even though it was only a couple hours).  We're paddling in, with Howard in the lead and me about 50 feet behind him, when all of a sudden ...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:53:33 PM by polepole »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

anything