Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Whittier, AK March 27  (Read 5408 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Took the newly modified yak out for the first time.  It was blowing 13mph with gusts to 30 when I arrived but it was supposed to calm down so I waited and it couldn't have been 30 minutes later when the sun comes out and the winds die down.  Sometimes it just works out. Ususally its calm in the morning and windy in the afternoon.

Stayed close to the launch given the wind conditions and the modifications.  Spent about 3 hours fishing.  Caught a flounder and a copper rockfish.  Yak worked as expected.  Getting some water inside from one of the rod holders.  Not enough for concern.  Pirhanamax 160 depth finder seemed to work fine using the thru hull install to 450 ft then started to lose a bit of the signal.  Didn't paddle anywhere that was over that depth. 

Here's a video I threw together quickly.  Its pretty choppy where I sped things up.  I made it to show some friends the "Whittier experience" going through the longest highway railroad tunnel in the US...one lane of it...

Definitely need to work on camera angles and overall ability to paddle the dang kayak.  Rusty!

Apologies in advance about the video quality but you can at least get an idea of my "home waters".  Hour from door to launch...if you can catch the tunnel openings just right.

The best part of the trip is I actually got out on the Ocean in my own boat in March for the first time ever!  I've lived here since 1971! Love these yaks!

Link:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:46:12 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Awesome report!!  That's a pretty sweet video for "...threw together quickly."

LOVE the scenic shots!  Looking forward to more reports!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice!  That place is beautiful!!!  Thanks for sharing the trip with us.  I can't wait to see your Salmon and Halibut reports.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Great report.Looks beautiful, and a bit chilly!
See ya on the water..
Roy

FishSniffer

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Mirage Adv., Outback SUV, OK Scrambler XT's
  • Midcoast Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Thanks for posting your report.  Great scenery.  What's you average water temp there?

For some reason I always thought fish in Alaska were bigger, maybe Texas sized!!!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Thanks for posting your report.  Great scenery.  What's you average water temp there?

For some reason I always thought fish in Alaska were bigger, maybe Texas sized!!!

Hey now!  It made "a" good sandwich! lol.  Yes and no about the bigger fish.  Cohos are MUCH bigger it seems in WA and OR.  Steelhead are tiny here in southcentral Alaska.  It really seems like you have to get away from the ports to get into larger fish these days in southcentral Alaska. 

Water temp in my thru hull was 39 deg.

It's one of those historic shots, but I need another one of these soon! We have a few decent fish...though sadly it seems fewer and fewer.
Oh yeah, my grandmother is 6ft tall...yeah I wish!

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Great video. I really need to make it up to AK.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice job, love the video! Looks like you did a great job of rigging your yak.  Looking forward to more!

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Water in Puget Sound not much warmer---was out this morning, the water temp was 44.2
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Brian,
You goign back up to Howard this summer?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
kardinal_84 - give me a hollar if you have a chance to head down into SE.  I have a beat up old Hobie Adventure you can take for a spin, and maybe we could get some fishin' in too.

Brian,

Hell, ya!  It's all set. Other than being totally buried in house, school and work projects, I have only one other hurdle at the SCCA to leap, but that won't be a problem.  Everything will go according to plan.  Period.

I'm hoping to be able to have time to go North at the end of the season and visit some friends in Juneau, Anchorage and up near Fairbanks.
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
kardinal_84 - give me a hollar if you have a chance to head down into SE.  I have a beat up old Hobie Adventure you can take for a spin, and maybe we could get some fishin' in too.

Brian,

Hell, ya!  It's all set. Other than being totally buried in house, school and work projects, I have only one other hurdle at the SCCA to leap, but that won't be a problem.  Everything will go according to plan.  Period.

I'm hoping to be able to have time to go North at the end of the season and visit some friends in Juneau, Anchorage and up near Fairbanks.

Sure will! Thanks. Southeast has got to be the place to be. Hopefully I can make it soon.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com