Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Deep Creek Planning May 7 (Sat)  (Read 5665 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok.  There are several folks from another Alaska fishing forum that want to try the kayak fishing off of Deep Creek.  I typically don't give out locational information but this place with the currents is one place where I want company.  Besides its a BIG ocean and this fishing is not structure based so there aren't really any true "hotspots" in the areas we have access to.

I don't want to really post this to a general Alaska fishing forum so I hope NWKA won't mind if I ask the kayakers in the Alaska forum to sign up here and comment.  Call it recruiting of kayakers.

So...

Why not plan?  I am NOT committing to going, but I am going to start planning for it anyways for a couple of reasons.  Long term forecast looks decent.  Tides are super modest.  The only problem is time of the tides.  So if I can go out, it sure sounds like the place to be.

MAJOR DISCLAIMER:  I am NEW to Kayak fishing.  I am NOT a guide.   I am not new to Alaska fishing and the area.  My personality for whatever is an on/off switch.  No dimmers.  So sometimes when i get an idea through my head, I do it...after calculating and preparing for the risks.  I have a family and two young beautiful kids so I am not suicidal, but this is pretty high on the risk factor of things most "normal" people do. I'd still consider it way below skydiving and loads of people do that!  So far I have pushed the limits a bit and have enjoyed it with a couple of near misses.  But learn and prepare appropriately.  respect the weather and say "NO" when you have to and I think it's safe. I'm more scared of the drive home after spending all day on the water.
**My attorney made me say that.**

Now the planning process for me...

Get all the info you can.  This forum is an EXCELLENT site with a lot of folks who know what the are talking about when it comes to kayak fishing.  So read up and ask questions.

Location & trip specific info:
Graphically the TIDES (at ANCHOR POINT above data is Ninilchik) for SATURDAY (had wrong graph earlier)

The CURRENTS look like...

So we can fish low slack, but after what i saw, i don't have half as much confidence as the high slack.  Besides, the low slack is around 12:45 so it's probably the highest chance of wind from my experience.  So probably best to watch the weather and try and hit the slack around 7:45pm.  With the small tides, I think we can fish 5:30 to sunset at around 10pm.  That's a bit of fishing. 

If we wanted to fish more we could start early.  Heck, we could even take turns.  One guy run the truck, the rest can backtroll against even a super fast tide for kings.  Pick the fishers up or down the beach, run the yaks back and do it again!  If we have enough people to do that, we can fish ANYTIME the weather allows. I'd say the water clarity is better during incoming tides. The faster the current I think would be better for kings near shore.  Herring or K-15 kwikfish, paddle against the current at whatever pace you want.  Keep in mind 50 yards or more off shore its still 10ft deep.  It'd be the first time I ever did it so I don't know if it will work.  but why wouldn't it?  Well let's try it and find out.

It will be an hour later on Sunday so I'd prefer not to do it on Sunday.  I might take Friday off.  If I do, I'd probably fish again Saturday too.

Planning is fun and even if it doesn't work out this time, the same planning for the most part can be applied to different dates or even different locations.

This will be fun with a few folks.  Rare are good fishing holes that you an share with the world and feel ok about it. 

Power boaters are going to be a safety factor.  The best thing would be to try this on a weekday.  But next weekend might still be early enough to avoid a lot of traffic.  I know I have the right of way as an unpowered vessel but always give the powerboats the respect everyone deserves.  Sounds weird but it was "their" spot first and we are trying to fit a new style in.  I don't mean that in a bad way at all.  It'd be a little like (emphasis on "little") some one trying to anchor right in the middle of where everyone is trolling.  Not illegal at Deep Creek, just not courteous or frankly right.

Hey let's do this!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:03:27 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
    As a new recruit from Alaska (thank-you kardinal-84) I look forward to learning more from members of this forum.I have been fishing with my kayak for roughly 20 years in Grays Harbor and in the waters of the Kenai Peninsula.Mostly in slower rivers and lakes but some in the salt around the jetties of Grays Harbor.It's time to expand my horizons and try new stuff so I'll be teaming up with others to try new waters.Should be some good adventures.Look for more info and sharing in the future.
                                                                                                   Mark
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
    As a new recruit from Alaska (thank-you kardinal-84) I look forward to learning more from members of this forum.I have been fishing with my kayak for roughly 20 years in Grays Harbor and in the waters of the Kenai Peninsula.Mostly in slower rivers and lakes but some in the salt around the jetties of Grays Harbor.It's time to expand my horizons and try new stuff so I'll be teaming up with others to try new waters.Should be some good adventures.Look for more info and sharing in the future.
                                                                                                   Mark

Welcome Mark!  Nice to see more people from Alaska make their way here.

-Allen

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Welcome to NWKA. Lots of good people and info here!

Like Pole said, it's really good to see the Alaska contingent growing a bit.
See ya on the water..
Roy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
How long a drive is it to Deep Creek from Portland?   ;D

Welcome Mark!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
   UHHHHHHH
  Spot,
  The drive from Portland,Oregon to Deep Creek,Alaska is about 5 or 6 days.Beautiful drive---come on up.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
PKZ140-041500-
Most current marine forecast looks good..except the two worst days are Fri and Sat.  but if they are off a little like they normally are, this could be good.  Its more important to watch the trends.  Impossible to tell the exact conditions until you are ready to launch, you are never certain. But if this holds, looks like I'd still make the drive down.

COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 PM AKDT TUE MAY 3 2011
.TONIGHT...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT. RAIN.
.WED...NE WIND 10 KT IN THE MORNING BECOMING VARIABLE LESS THAN
10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.WED NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.THU...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.THU NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.FRI...NW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SAT...NW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SUN...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Welcome, Mark, glad to see more Alaskans making thier way here.

Go Get 'em
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
I just picked up a new boat today--a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 hybrid.It looks like a canoe but I hope it paddles like a yak.Gonna try it out Wednesday at Deep Creek.I've gotta warm up those fresh kings and halibut for kardinal-84 before the weekend.I'll try to post some pics tommorrow nite.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I just picked up a new boat today--a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 hybrid.It looks like a canoe but I hope it paddles like a yak.Gonna try it out Wednesday at Deep Creek.I've gotta warm up those fresh kings and halibut for kardinal-84 before the weekend.I'll try to post some pics tommorrow nite.

Interesting!  Green with envy, the forecast looks perfect!  Leave a few for me!!!  Be safe!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AKS2000

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Kardinal_84,

Finally, after 2 whole years of lurking here in total stealth, you made me broke my silence.  LOL.

Thank you for planning this trip.  I'll keep my eyes & ears on the Marine forecast too.  Like you, I do not have any death wish either.   So if looks bad on Saturday we'll just go another day. 

Like they say in aviation - it is better to be at home sipping coffee and regret that you should have gone flying, then to be flying in bad weather and regret that you should have stayed home sipping coffee.

JT

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
FINALLY!!! I have found another kayak fisherman in Alaska!!! I have been quite in the forums and mostly just surfed them. I went out to Whittier for an outing and came in with 1 rockfish at about 5lbs. Fished all day and only one but hey i didnt get completely skunked. I have this week on leave just for some good yak fishing so let me in on the details and i will see if i can make it happen. Was planning on going out again tomorrow on some of the base lakes for some trout but i need some halibut and rockfish for the freezer. Hope to hear from you
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Alright, glad to see a few more folks.  I agree with many of the posts.  I am in a 9'3" mini-x so I don't push it too hard. 

Forecast is now good for the weekend, bad for Thur Fri.  Sure switched in a hurry. 

The lakes are going to be fun to hit as well.  For Spring time I want to try a trip to somewhere to try night time lakers.  I think I can do it at either Hidden or Long Lake.  Part of me wants to suck it up and go all the way to Lake Louise but that's probably June before the ice gives I would think.

I have an underwater light project on this forum somewhere I am gearing up for my yak. 
Here:  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6076.msg63769.html#msg63769

Okay, we are only three days out so a little closer look at the forecast over the next few days...

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
The weather forecast keeps changing everytime they update it.  Still ok to go North 10mph 2ft. 

Just a reminder that there are going to be more and more powerboats in the area.  I ordered a flag/light set up that should arrive tomorrow.  I think its a very good idea especially if there is any swell at all.  Since I wanted a light for night fishing I was debating between the Scotty version and the VisiCarbon.  Visicarbon was $30 more but I went with it anyways.  Service was great...though they were in such a hurry to help they called me at 6am...I guess it was 10am East coast time.  Will post a review once I use it.  here's a pic from their site.  Up till now, I just bungied a fluorescent orange spare paddle.

So is anyone considering going on Saturday? My current plan is to fish from say 3 or 4pm to sunset at 10pm.   I'm just trying to figure out if I should set up for a solo trip or not.  Solo, I'd take outriggers and the wife's SUV versus my civic, and fishing plan might be different.  No big deal, will probably have it all anyways. 

COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 PM AKDT WED MAY 4 2011
.TONIGHT...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.THU...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
.THU NIGHT...N WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
.FRI...NW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.FRI NIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
.SAT AND SUN...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.MON...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
Went down to Deep Creek an hour before low tide today.Minus 1.8 ft @ 10:53.Actually I put in at 9:25.Headed west by northwest for an hour before I turned around to see where I was in relation to the tractor launch.Holy current---I was more than a half mile south of the launch.There were 2 foot waves coming at me and they were close together.My new boat (a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 hybrid)was handling the waves ok.But when I'd go over a crest ,the boat would take a little water over the bow.There was a 15 mph +/- wind blowing and it didn't seem like it would lay down as the day wore on.So ok,what to do ? I was ready to drop a line but didn't really feel comfortable trying to control the boat in the wind/waves and get fishing gear working as well.Time for plan B.
Plan B--With a wnw wind blowing I thought " There shouldn't be any wind ,or at worst,very little on the east side of the Homer Spit.And I'm already more than half way there,so it's noon and I'm heading south.
Drive to the end of the spit by Lands End and the water is like glass.Awesome.I should have come here in the 1st place,duh.Drag the Ultimate down the rocks to waters edge,rig-up a pole,and shove off.When I got to the ferry pilings I dropped a cut-plug herring with a 6 oz. banana sinker to the bottom and start back-paddling out.I had taken 3 strokes and tick-tick-tick.Grabbed the pole and went to cross eyes the next tick-tick.Darn-----missed.Rebait and do it again.5 strokes later--tick-tick-tick.Ok I'll let em eat it this time.No more tick-ticks.Kept back-paddling east,no tick-ticks for awhile.Ok,check bait---empty.Rebait and drop er down.By now the water is 150' deep,and still flat as glass.A few private boats have gone by,into or out of the harbor.Their wakes were tollarable (sp) you could always hear them coming.The only wake that had me concerned was from Rainbow Charters 52' boat.As long as you point your bow into the wake you'll be ok.Don't think I'd want to be broadsided,that could be a problem.
Next bait down---tick-tick-tick---------------------connect....yahoo.After a very welcome tug of war---up comes a 5 lbs cod.Coolness.
Next bait down----tick-tick-tick-----------whack em........irish lord.Ugly but pretty good sized.
Went through a few baits and a lot of kelp beds before the next bite.By now the afternoon wind had started up,not as strong as out at Deep Creek,but enough to geet your attention.Keep an eye out for that..
Wind started getting a little stronger--okay--time to mossey back to shore.By now I'm over a mile from the spit so I figure it's time to get a little more serious.Chop kicking just a little bit,so I made the run in.As I got near the ferry pilings it got calmer so one more bait out.Tick-tick-tick------------------------pow  another cod.Alright.
There was a grandma and 2 young kids on the beach by Land's End so I didn't unhook the last cod.Of course they came over as I beached.The 4 year old boy was all excited "did you catch a salmon ?"Grandma helped make it a learning expirence for him and said no ,it sounds like a fishin rod.Sure as heck ,he got it,"A Cod" I unhooked the fish and tryed to revive it but it went belly up.So,feed the crabs.Within 30 seconds a mature bald eagle swooped down and snatched that puppy.Way cool.For the kids and me both.
Kayaking out of Deep Creek is certainly an option if a person pays very close attention to all the many variables that come into play.Cook Inlet is basically a river.It drains so many watersheds that an in-coming tide will not push you back to your starting point.There is too much pressure.
Kayaking in back of the Homer Spit,especially on an incoming tide is comparitively easy.Deep water is not that far from land,you can intercept fish that were planted in Nick Dudiack Lagoon,and there are a lot of fish on the "protected side".But with an east wind,that side can get ugly in a hurry as well.Plus you'd have to deal with other boats wakes,especially on busy weekends.
I will try Deep Creek again when the stars all align.I will definitely be back to the dark side of the spit.I have done well there with my Klamath (which I sold this past weekend)(bummer kinda).Rudy's idea of a flag on board is a very good one because yaks sit so low in the water other boaters need help to see you.Or a better target-----whatever..