Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Deep Creek Planning May 7 (Sat)  (Read 5664 times)

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice planning and reports!  You guys keep up the conversation and more Alaskans may show themselves soon.  Lemme know if ya'll make it down K'town way and if I'm not on the job we'll hit up a few spots in my neighborhood.
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice planning and reports!  You guys keep up the conversation and more Alaskans may show themselves soon.  Lemme know if ya'll make it down K'town way and if I'm not on the job we'll hit up a few spots in my neighborhood.

Would LOVE to fish Southeast AK.  Lived pretty much in Alaska since 1971 and have only been to Juneau in teh Southeast...and then only to meet up with politicians...yuck! :BangHead:

Will have to take you up on the offer.  Same to you if you are in our neck of the woods!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Hey Yak Monkey,
I spent a week and a half on Wadleigh Island(just across the water from Craig)afew years back and there is some outstanding fishing down that way.I wasn't in a kayak down there but a 32 Bayliner so we fished mainly on the outer banks.It was an incredible trip.So I can appreciate your offer.As kardinal says,"if you get up to south-central let someone know and we can all hook up,literally.
I have a question for the forum moderators-----are there not very many people from Alaska that have discovered this site ?I see many vehicles driving around with yaks on their roofs up here on the KP.Could be they are "eco-tourists".not fishers.Thats ok by me.Just curious because of several responses so far.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Hey Yak Monkey,
I spent a week and a half on Wadleigh Island(just across the water from Craig)afew years back and there is some outstanding fishing down that way.I wasn't in a kayak down there but a 32 Bayliner so we fished mainly on the outer banks.It was an incredible trip.So I can appreciate your offer.As kardinal says,"if you get up to south-central let someone know and we can all hook up,literally.
I have a question for the forum moderators-----are there not very many people from Alaska that have discovered this site ?I see many vehicles driving around with yaks on their roofs up here on the KP.Could be they are "eco-tourists".not fishers.Thats ok by me.Just curious because of several responses so far.

Mark,

I think the issue is not so much the lack of kayakers, but the lack of Kayak anglers.  Nobody carries a sit on top kayak here in Anchorage that anybody with any experience would call a real fishing kayak (including my mini-x).  When I go to Whittier I always run into a dozens kayakers.  I don't have a lot of history yet,  but I have NEVER run into another person fishing from their kayaks. 

I have a ton of friends who fish.  I would say that 90% of them think I am totally insane.  Their discussions always center around how much horsepower or range they had. 

Heck, if I can get some more interest, I might truck up several dozen from Seattle and try to sell them.  Even if I don't make a ton of money, maybe I can get a few more folks fishing.  Hmmmm..........

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
Hey Rudy
  I agree that there are a lot of kayaker's up here.I see boats out in Ressurection Bay and Kachameck Bay a lot during the summer.I think most are rental/touring type outfits.Only once have I seen a fishing pole in one and that was during the Seward Silver Tournament.Maybe that'll change soon.It sounds like there is a lot of interest.Look at all the views on our post on AOD.
  Oh,and your 90% friends are probably correct.....just funnin ya.
   I'm sure you've seen the forecast for Cook Inlet this weekend.NOAA is calling for 3' seas.Not good in my opinion.Maybe it's time to hit the lakes that are mostly thawed out.You've mentioned Hidden for lakers.That could be a great idea.Lakers are still on my bucket list.What do you think ?

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hey Rudy
  I agree that there are a lot of kayaker's up here.I see boats out in Ressurection Bay and Kachameck Bay a lot during the summer.I think most are rental/touring type outfits.Only once have I seen a fishing pole in one and that was during the Seward Silver Tournament.Maybe that'll change soon.It sounds like there is a lot of interest.Look at all the views on our post on AOD.
  Oh,and your 90% friends are probably correct.....just funnin ya.
   I'm sure you've seen the forecast for Cook Inlet this weekend.NOAA is calling for 3' seas.Not good in my opinion.Maybe it's time to hit the lakes that are mostly thawed out.You've mentioned Hidden for lakers.That could be a great idea.Lakers are still on my bucket list.What do you think ?

Chris at Liquid Adventures (http://liquid-adventures.com/) does run some kayak fishing trips out of Seward, but he mostly does touring.

-Allen

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
4pm Update of weather looks stable.  I am still good to go for Saturday.  There's been some discussion of a back up plan. Final "go/no go" decision for me happens 4am Saturday for the last weather update. 

Backup spots I am considering:

1) Homer (but rather work back towards Anchorage) (Cod, dollies, maybe halibut and kings)
2) Mouth of the Kasilof River (starry flounder, cod, halibut)
3) Float the Kenai or Kasilof.... I lean towards the Kenai River for a few reasons (Kings & Dollies)
4) Kenai Lake (Lakers, rainbows, dollies)
5) Seward/Ressurection Bay. (Herring and Kings, maybe some small rockfish)

PKZ140-061500-
COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 PM AKDT THU MAY 5 2011
.TONIGHT...N WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING BECOMING VARIABLE LESS THAN
10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.FRI...SW WIND 10 KT INCREASING TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS
2 FT.
.FRI NIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT BECOMING W 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
2 FT.
.SAT AND SAT NIGHT...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SUN...N WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
.MON...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.TUE...NW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok.  Forecast is pretty much the same but on the edge of my comfort zone.

I will make an initial call after the 4pm marine forecast update.

Alternate plan is to float the Kenai River from the Pillars to Cunnigham Park.  I think Mark is considering that float.  I think the conditions are PERFECT for it.  My only reservation is its still VERY early in the season for the Kenai and closer to prime time for the saltwater kings and halibut.

Either fishery it'd be fun to hook up with some folks.  When it comes to kings, the more rods we have out, the better the chance of success!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
   Yup I Got A Plan,
 I will be fishing the in-coming tide on the lower Kenai River.I have a lot of hours down that way in my power boat but this will be a 1st in the new Ultimate 12.With an incoming tide----current shouldn't be ripping.Fishing smaller plugs,spinners,and maybe jigs under a float to match the hatch in the clearer water is gonna be exciting.Be at the Pillars State Park at noon Saturday for shuttling......See ya there and bring friends if you want--the more the merrier.
                                          Mark

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
4pm update of the marine forecast came out a few minutes early.  Looks a little iffy but got to try it.

Today and Sunday are rougher at 3ft.  Saturday is still looking good N10mph switching to variable 10MPH, 2ft.  That's doable.

My only issue is that if I am going alone, I am going to launch earlier so I can paddle/drift out of the closed fishing area.  I need to think about this...I might have to kick the wife out of her SUV.  The tides are such that it will be much better to launch further down the beach...hmmm....if I am alone, I may have to launch out of Whiskey Gulch if she has something planned.

The plan due to tides is to drift north as the tide comes in and come back a little bit as the tide slackens.

At any rate, Mark Collett will be floating the Kenai River, I am headed to Deep Creek or Whiskey Gulch.  Backup plan is to try the float with Mark.  I think that is going to be a super fun trip but I am just addicted to this notion of trying to catch a halibut.

Let me know if anyone else is interested if you want to meet.

PKZ140-071500-
COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 PM AKDT FRI MAY 6 2011
.TONIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
.SAT...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SAT NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

.SUN...NE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SUN NIGHT THROUGH MON...NE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
   Best of luck to ya Kardinal,                                                                                                                                               If you get blown off down in Cook Inlet keep my plan B in mind.I won't be leaving Pillar State Park til I'v given a few other people time to get there and hit that in-coming tide at 2:45.
Above all else-------be safe out there......
Catch a big one and have fun too.We'll all look forward to your video.
                                                                                                Mark

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
You too Mark.  I think I will have more fish around me than you but a LOT more water.  The one that is close to you though could be that NEXT WORLD RECORD! It was caught May 17th, 1985!  97 pounds! 

I will definitely keep plan B in mind.  If the forecast is looking bad, I won't wait and head down your way.  I got your Cel...

Good luck!! Be safe!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AKS2000

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Rudy,
I'll go with you.  Where and when should we meet?

Mark,
Love to go with you too, but I can hear a halibut calling my name!
Let us know how you make out.  I am trying to picture you fighting and landing a new world record King.  Wasn't there a guy many years ago that made the newspapers by fighting a King for many hours up and down the Kenai? 

JT

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Alright!  Let's do this!  Cross your fingers for good weather.  AKS2000 and I are meeting  down at Deep Creek Campground at 2:30pm ish.

Anyone else is more than welcome to join.  I am in a maroon civic Si with a grey malibu mini-x.  If you show up later, we will likely be 3 to 5 miles south of the campground launching in that area.  Should be able to see us since we will likely be fairly close to shore.

I can check this forum from my mobile so PM or post if you need more info!  basically if the marine forecast at 4am is NOT over 15mph and seas a 4ft and nothing from the east there is a chance.  In reality if the conditions are the forecasted North or variable 10mph, seas 2ft, it's doable but might be a bit wet.

Plan B if the forecast is terrible is to meet Mark at the Pillars launch on the Kenai or try to catch up to him if we are late!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
No butts. BUT one king!  More tomorrow.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything