Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Looking for a New Kayak here in Alaska  (Read 2652 times)

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I have called several stores in the lower 48 like Austin Kayak and a few others and the dang shipping is almost as much as the yak. For the Hobie Pro Angler it was 655.00 just for shipping and for any of the 13-15 ft sit on tops it was just about 550 or so. I have a Mad River Synergy and i love it but i am wanting one with scuppers and maybe a little wider for my ocean trips. Any of the Alaska guys have any clue about purchasing a good sit on top like ocean kayak or wilderness systems and all the others? Let me know if anyone has any info
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I have called several stores in the lower 48 like Austin Kayak and a few others and the dang shipping is almost as much as the yak. For the Hobie Pro Angler it was 655.00 just for shipping and for any of the 13-15 ft sit on tops it was just about 550 or so. I have a Mad River Synergy and i love it but i am wanting one with scuppers and maybe a little wider for my ocean trips. Any of the Alaska guys have any clue about purchasing a good sit on top like ocean kayak or wilderness systems and all the others? Let me know if anyone has any info

REI in anchorage should have Ocean Kayaks.

-Allen

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Fast Lane sailing in San Diego is one of the biggest Hobie yak dealers so they may be more willing to take a hit on shipping.  It would be worth a call to find out.  www.FastLaneSailing.com
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I've been talking to alaska raft and kayak. They are working with a dealer in Seattle. I think they have the one pro angler in stock. Not sure what they charge.

Shipping to rei store in anchorage is free. I want a hobie but might settle for a ocean kayak 13footer.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
The Pro Angler is a barge! Basically a row boat with fins. The Trident 13 is a pretty sweet boat 15 really nice too. Can't go wrong with the normal shaped Hobies and if you are bucking wind or current they are hard to beat!

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Thanks polepole! I called there and the first thing out of there mouth was this is Alaska there are no sit on tops here!!! I asked about the website and they did offer free shipping to the store.

And for the Alaska Raft and Kayak......They are too proud of that pro angler. So i may be purchasing a new trident 13 and wait on the pro angler till i get back to the lower 48 for some bay florida fishing.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
BTW, shipping a kayak to Alaska can be done for much cheaper.  It just involves a bit more work.

I had 4 kayaks shipped from Bellingham,WA to Valdez.  If you're able to drop off at the shipping terminal at one end and pick up at the shipping terminal at the other, it was about $150 per kayak.  The additional trucking to the shipping terminal and from the shipping terminal would have made it about $300 more.

-Allen

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
AYA,
Is that sporting goods store, ( log cabin style building with a white barn in back, next to the new church), still open at the far end of College in Fairbanks? it would be just before the intersection with University Ave and Farmers Loop road going into the college, on the right. Was there last Sept. and they had a butt load of yaks on sale, mostly SiNKs but one or two SOTs,. Honestly i think they were trying to liquidate them.

BING Maps will give you a good close arieal pic. tried to add it in here but proofing it just showed a standard US map.

gosh i wish i was up there right now. it's the perfect time to visit, everything is starting to thaw out and come into seaon...

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything