Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Planning: Anchor River Inn King Salmon Tournament 5/14  (Read 9148 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Well a few us discovered that there will be a King Salmon tournament along the beaches of Deep Creek.  Apparently in a typical year about 40 boats fish.  If that holds true this year, 10% of the entries might be kayakers!  Woohoo!! 

So we might as well disseminate some information and try and maximize the odds of one of making a good finish if not winning the thing.  So far I think Mark Collett, AK Yak Atak, Greta, and I are up for it.  Any and all are welcome to join.

$20 per boat.  25% goes to a kids charity fishing thing, 25% goes to biggest fish, 50% goes to whoever "bought" the winning boat at an auction.  I guess the typical bids range from $50 to $500 or more.  I think I will be able to buy "my" boat since its fishing one rod and is a formidable 9ft long.  lol

Forecast is looking do-able.  It was better, degraded slightly. 

PKZ140-121500-
COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 PM AKDT WED MAY 11 2011

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY TONIGHT...
.TONIGHT...S OF KALGIN ISLAND...N WIND 30 KT DIMINISHING TO 20 KT
AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 6 FT. N OF KALGIN ISLAND...N WIND 20 KT. SEAS
3 FT.
.THU...N WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
.THU NIGHT...NW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.FRI...SW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.FRI NIGHT...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SAT...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SUN...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.MON...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.

Tides look like:

Currents (approximate slack times pictured):

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Heres the general area we plan to launch from.  Whiskey Gulch.

Has anyone been there??  I think the launch is where the pin on shore is.

It's steeper than Deep Creek but you still need to go 0.4 miles to get to 30 ft by this chart.  It's been fairly accurate.   Salmon will be close. We will see where every one is fishing. 

It may be advantageous or at least worth considering if hitting both deep creek and whiskey gulch might not be better?  I normally wouldn't do it but I tend to do what I can to add every tenth of a percentage point to my favor within reason.   

So digest all the info and I am going to think out loud my plan soon.  Be interested in what everyone else thinks!!!! So chime in.

Closer view:

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Hoping the wife will go for it lol. Its quite the drive from here to that area. But i am ready for Kings and have been since last year lol. You going ot troll kwikfish with a banana weight and plug cut herring? i need to know if i need to pick up somne herring before the trip down
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

daveo

• Rockfish
  • Dave Ohlsen Photography
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Hi Kardinal. What software app are you using on your iPhone for the tides and for the GPS?  Thanks, DaveO

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Hi Kardinal. What software app are you using on your iPhone for the tides and for the GPS?  Thanks, DaveO

Navionics Mobile.  Works great.  Love the fact that the maps don't need cell connections.  But it is a memory hog!  Pay $15 bucks for the app but I'd pay another $100 for a good compact waterproof case so I could use it on my kayak!  Works great on a boat though!

http://www.navionics.com/NavionicsMobile.asp

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Hoping the wife will go for it lol. Its quite the drive from here to that area. But i am ready for Kings and have been since last year lol. You going to troll kwikfish with a banana weight and plug cut herring? i need to know if i need to pick up somne herring before the trip down

If you spoke to me last year, I'd say no bait.  Been a bait soaker all my life and a goal last year on powerboats was to try and outfish my friends soaking bait.  Was pretty successful on many fronts.  But its a tournament and I got to fall back on what I have complete confidence in.  In addition to that, my primary seasonal goal is landing a halibut.  So that's a long way of saying I am planning on using  the largest troll herring I can find and rigging it whole so it will spin.   It's not a time to test, but I will be testing a few different flasher and dodger combos and rod positions to see if I can tow a flasher without doing circles in my rudderless kayak.  Even now, if I stop paddling, a 4 oz banana sinker and a whole herring will casue my yak to swing around the instant I stop paddling. 

Most of the time, it's not even trolling.  It's more power mooching.  So bait will be more effective.

The only other twist to my lure/bait selection is I need to add to the arsenal a sand lance imitation of some kind.  Haven't decided if I am going to strip herring or use small hoochies with scent. 

I may take one or two kwikfish along if I feel comfortable with the anchoring system I am trying to develop. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
I made a reservation at the Anchor River Inn last nite.They are still using winter rates so the cost is reasonable.If anyone needs their entry fee covered that won't come down til Saturday morning Let me know and I can take care of the registration.All boat bets have to be taken care of Friday nite,in person.
When I talked to the president of the Anchor River Sportsman's Association last nite ,he said they have never had any kayaker in this derby before.Now we have at least 4 people going.That's awesome........Don't know about the rest of you---but I'm getting pumped--big time.
Tactics------I agree with Rudy that herring will work probably best.But if that doesn't produce I'll have a few metal jigs,some plugs,and maybe some big T spoons.Heck the water will be less than 50 ft.Lots of options to try.I'll be bringing a net for the salmon.Rudy---are you gonna bring yor harpoon ?
Looking forward to an outstanding weekend___________this is gonna kick butt.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I made a reservation at the Anchor River Inn last nite.They are still using winter rates so the cost is reasonable.If anyone needs their entry fee covered that won't come down til Saturday morning Let me know and I can take care of the registration.All boat bets have to be taken care of Friday nite,in person.
When I talked to the president of the Anchor River Sportsman's Association last nite ,he said they have never had any kayaker in this derby before.Now we have at least 4 people going.That's awesome........Don't know about the rest of you---but I'm getting pumped--big time.
Tactics------I agree with Rudy that herring will work probably best.But if that doesn't produce I'll have a few metal jigs,some plugs,and maybe some big T spoons.Heck the water will be less than 50 ft.Lots of options to try.I'll be bringing a net for the salmon.Rudy---are you gonna bring yor harpoon ?
Looking forward to an outstanding weekend___________this is gonna kick butt.

Well its not just going to be the first kayak entry but its going to be the first year a kayaker wins this thing!!! 

Yup, will have harpoon at the ready.  Well given what I know about these kings, we have every bit of a chance as the power boats.  Yeah, if this was a million dollar tourney, I'd use a powerboat.  But its NOT so let's go get'em!

I am psyched!  Let's do this!  CMON WEATHER...hold for us PLEASE!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
I have several metal P-line jigs and lots of the big pixies and what not. I am hoping for good weather as well cause i have no scuppers lol but i have a good sponge for bilge. I am going to bring some whole "blue" herring and some trolling king rigs for the giggles of it. Wife still hasnt made up her mind whether or not she wants to go. If she doesnt i am leaving friday night and sleeping in the truck at the park or something.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I have several metal P-line jigs and lots of the big pixies and what not. I am hoping for good weather as well cause i have no scuppers lol but i have a good sponge for bilge. I am going to bring some whole "blue" herring and some trolling king rigs for the giggles of it. Wife still hasnt made up her mind whether or not she wants to go. If she doesnt i am leaving friday night and sleeping in the truck at the park or something.

Wife ever been to Homer?  That's an interesting little town if you never have been there and looked around.  A couple of us might be getting rooms at the Anchor River Inn.  We might have space.

P-line jigs and pixies will certainly work, but for maximum "in water time" and theincrease chances of the occasional halibut, I don't think you are going to beat using herring on double hooks.  If you aren't a veteran "herring" guy, I'd highly recommend picking up the "helmets" that you can clip the herring into.

I plan to brine my herring as I like to toughen them up a little bit and I add fish oil and krill oil to the batch as well.  Depending n the quality of the herring, I sometimes add powdered milk which seems to help firm up the herring a little more.  Also if the herring I get look "dull" I sometimes add Mrs. Stewart's bluing into the bait as well. 

I'll post a how I do it thread after work today since it's usually best to brine them at least overnight. 

Brining isn't a requirement.  It just makes the bait last a little longer.  To add to the scent I also always carry some type of oil or gel. 

More later.  Got to get back to work!!!!  I'm stoked.  hard to stop daydreaming about it!  lol.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
After looking over charts and maps I think putting in at Whisky Gulch is our best bet.We'd be out of the "no fishing zone",very few bigger boats will launch there,and we might have the area to ourselves (can always hope).I have never been down that road and when I went by there last week on the way to Homer,the sign was missing.Don't know what's up with that,but I'm sure we can find it.
My wife is coming as well.She will probably not take her kayak out unless the water is smooth as glass.But she is happy fishing off the shore with a 10' surf-casting pole.If we get blown off Whisky Gulch I might be able to talk her into pickng us up further down/up the beach.So that way at least we wil have options if needed.
Tommorrow can't get here soon enough............
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I am leaning towards your line of htinking.  My only thought was that if we fish early, from 8am to about noon the currents will be headed north.  I think they are calling for south wind so it's only a little over 2 miles I think to the stariski closed area.  We will cover that distance in no time.  So during that time  I was considering the option of heading as far south as the beach would allow at Deep Creek and float North gives us a little more room.  But if its possible to drive North from the Whiskey Gulch Launch, then making several runs along that two mile stretch seems do-able. 

If we start at 6am, the wind will be 90% of the cause for boat movement I think. 

I prefer Whiskey Gulch for many reasons.  But the area is tighter so we will have to make sure our shuttles are in place.   

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
Kardinal...Here is my plan for gratuitous amounts of fish in my yak....I cast out ..reel it in a few times...yak full of fish ......rinse and repeat lol... Nah just playing lol. Its looking like it is a go for me. What time in entry time and all of that stuff for the derby? Need to know when we are starting and when we will be done so i can let her know the details. I am going to try and make my buddy bring his butt and yak with so we can both enter. Let me know times though ..Thanks!!

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
You guys are getting me all fired up and I'm not even going.  I do plan to wear my lucky hat around the house this weekend in your honor.   Least I can do.  Good luck.
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
As of right now.  The base plan is to meet at Whiskey Gulch at 5:30am for 6 am start on Saturday.  Full post on my plans probably after the 4am update on marine weather on Friday morning.

My understanding is the tournament runs 6am to 6pm but don't know if the fish has to be back by 6pm which means pretty much finish up 2 hours earlier...especially if we have a contender.  Well any real contender should be weighed right away.  You are basically done fishing and all you are going to do is lose weight as the day progresses.  If it's a weight tournament, remember not to bleed your catch...you can lose a bit of weight through that and dehydration through the day.

Mark says the sign is down at Whiskey Gulch so we want to go check it out.  I have never been there despite living on the Peninsula for over all my childhood. 

PMing phone numbers now.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com