Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Planning: Anchor River Inn King Salmon Tournament 5/14  (Read 9149 times)

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
polepole when he writes "30ft" he really means "30ft" if you really look at the charts of Cook Inlet you can tell which is for fathoms and which numbers are for the feet.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Calling for south 20knots, seas 4 ft. One level above my comfort zone. Checked the launch and it's nice and calm now of course.  Maybe we will be good early. Only one way to find out!!!  First four kayaks ever registered and this is the 17 th annual event!   Breaking the mold, baby!!! 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Halftime. No kings yet. Boated two small halibut, kept one 15 pounds maybe. A few cod a few Irish lords. Boats boated 3 or 4 kings but so far they all have been tiny. Well second half coming up!

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hmm, that looks to be the boat you just bought for Greta to use. Did you swap with her or did she do the catching again?

Good luck in the second half!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I caught it!  I just made her carry it!!!

So second half is slow. Irish lords and cod. We decided to call it at 3 pm.

Have I ever mentioned my motto in fishing? PERSEVERANCE PAYS!!!

Yes, pisco, you can re commence your mocking of me....

Greta hits one less than 100 yards from the takeout. I did everything I could do to lose the fish for her...once I caught up with her. Weird to not be able to catch a kayak where the person is not paddling or pedaling.

More once I get home. Hopefully the vids came out.

In the 17 th annual tournament, a king caught from a kayak was entered in the derby for the first time!!!  Way to go Greta!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:15:40 PM by kardinal_84 »

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
First king from a kayak was entered is what I meant. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
You telling us, Greta won?!
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Not quite that epic. Saw a couple of larger ones. I was frankly so excited, I didn't get the official weight. Hers was the first fish entered in this tournament in the 17 years they have been running the tournament that was caught from a kayak.  She might be top 5 though.... At least instead of eating crow, it will be fresh halibut so a small consolation prize for me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:57:02 AM by kardinal_84 »

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Rudy, I think I remember you've been consistently saying that (until this tourney) a yak halibut was your primary goal for the season. Now you've made your goal!

Greta came out on top with the yakkers (again) and she lugged in your fish? When is she turning pro and opening a kayak fishing guide business? :laugh:

dudemandude

• Lingcod
dude! Congrats on the halibut!!!!!!!! So awesome! how was the water! looks good to me! did u try anchoring?

Congrats to Greta!!! what like 32.5 pounds on the king???

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
dude! Congrats on the halibut!!!!!!!! So awesome! how was the water! looks good to me! did u try anchoring?

Congrats to Greta!!! what like 32.5 pounds on the king???

They were calling for south 20kts, seas 4 ft.  We got North 10kts, seas 2ft...maybe 3 ft rollers.  Perfect combination of tide and current to paddle around.   I did not try anchoring but I will when I try to upgrade my goal to a 50 pound halibut.

Greta's King was a feeder so we bonked another one heading south...sorry.  It weighed only 25 pound.  But that's what I love about Kayak fishing EVERYTHING is magnified....the risk AND the reward!

Video should be ready tomorrow.  It will be EPIC as in epic long.  Didn't want to cut out the audio and I am too damn tired to try and match things up better.  Fast forward if it bores ya but it's kinda cool to see the fight and how that king just pulls her around.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
sweet! looking forward to the video!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
When is Greta going to register to the forums?  If you're kardinal_84, she could be pope_84!!!

-Allen

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I just posted this on AOD before coming back to this forum.I hadn't read Rudy's report 1st.But here is a little more...
Good to fish with kardinal_84 and Greta---my wife even came out for a while.A really good day at the derby.All my wife and I caught were irish lords,and of course,she caught 5 to my 4.So no fillets for us but still a great time.

Here Is A Quick Report---Sure Others Will Follow
The 17th Annual Anchor Point Calcutta King Derby 5-14-2011 was a blast.For those who have never participated in this event be sure to put it on next years calender.
Friday night registration and auction was entertaining and fun--thank-you Stan Harrington.Folks bought ,at auction, their favorite boat--or the one they thought would win the derby for prices ranging from $125 to $375 .Don't quote me on those prices--the average bid was close to $200.There were about 25 boats that entered.Again these are not official numbers---but close guesstimations.
Of those 25 boats 4 of them were kayaks,so paddle power was well represented.
It was interesting to have a power boat pushing 500 hp pull up next to a human powered boat and feel a little under-gunned. (Obviously I was in one of the kayaks.)
The winner of the derby was Meryl Wolford with a 38 lbs king.This was the 4th time Mr. Wolford has won this derby so a heartfelt congradulations to Meryl.
I don't have the numbers for prize money but 25% of the procedes go toward kids activities sponsored by the Anchor Point Sportsmans Assocciation.So let's hope they made enough money to help funds some good activities for the children.
The forecast had called for 20 kts wind and 4 ft seas and fortunately it was wrong.The weather was 1/2 what was predicted--and nicely so.A great day to be on the water.There were some smaller fish caught of course and not everyone came home with fillets but regardless of that it was a great time.
On a side note--kardinal_84 finally got a small halibut on his kayak/barge--but I'm sure his story will be posted soon.Hopefully with video--the audio version,not edited too much....And an even better side note-- Greta Cox caught her very 1st kings salmon ever with a rod/reel out of a kayak and it was only the 2nd time she had ever been in a kayak.A 25 pounder------way to go Greta. She was absolutely on cloud nine and rightfully so.Her smile said volumes.......
As I said----this was a fun derby,it raised money for a good cause,and the odds of winning are pretty good considering the number of entries.Put it on your calender for 2012.Tight lines to all.........
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

anything