Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:47 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Anchor Point Calcutta King Derby - The Outcome  (Read 4679 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So for the first time ever in the 17 year history of this derby, 4 kayakers entered the tournament.  The team consisted of Mark Colett, his wife Lori, Greta, and Rudy.  We all had firsts for kayakers.  Mark was the first kayaker EVER registered in this torunament. I was the first Kayak ever auctioned off at the tournament, Lori had the highest bid for kayakers at $175 I think for her boat, and Greta recorded the first EVER fish caught from a kayak in this tournament with a beautiful chrome 25 pounder. Way to go TEAM!!!!!!!!

The marine forecast for Saturday calls for South 20mph, Seas 4 ft.  Hmmm..that's past my comfort zone especially since I am taking Greta who has been in a kayak twice and will be using a newly acquired Perception pescadore 12 footer.

We wake up to North 10, Seas 2ft.  Sweet!  thank you forecasters for being wrong AGAIN!

The day starts out at low slack and the action is fast and furious.  I was the last to launch and before I am on the water the team lands 2 or 3 fish...Irish Lords....great...  But the bite is on and fish are active.  Within 5 minutes of trolling my rod goes off and its peeling line!  THIS IS NO SCULPIN!  Yeehaw!  But soon with the head shakes I realize its not a salmon.  Up comes a 32 inch halibut which by the weight charts would be 14 pounds.  After dealing with it, I have no idea what I am going to do with a 50 pounder.  We will deal with that when it happens...

The rest of the day goes by with a Irish Lord here, a cod there, one more teeny halibut but nothing more.  Greta says she needs to be heading back around 3pm.  So at 2:30pm we call it a day and start paddling to shore.

100 yards from the launch Greta hooks up!  SWEET!  "LAST CAST" pays off once again!  As long as your line is in the water you have a CHANCE!  It was amazing to see how fast the fish was pulling her kayak around.

Greta does great.  Rudy...D-minus!!!  The only reason I get a passing grade is we GOT THE FISH!  There's no sense trying to explain everything when I have a video that really says it all. It makes the previous "how not to video" look like a lucky day...  Maybe its even with the both of us breaking rods on video.  The difference was a fish broke his = honorable.  I broke mine off on purpose because I was unable to manage a major cluster f%^K under pressure.

Tournament money on the line, the tournament's first ever fish caught from a kayak, Greta's first sport caught king EVER let alone from a kayak. Could there be ANY MORE PRESSURE??? I CHOKED!  Clear and simple.  But you can see on the video that the fish seemed to be taking off the other way but still.  No excuses.  Happy and a HUGE relief that we landed her nice 25 pound fish!

Met some great people, had a great time, and I feel every bit as good as if I caught the fish.  Well better really.  So satisfying to see happy smiling people because you helped them (well sort of "helped" them this time) catch a memorable fish!

Part II video is long but if anyone is going to appreciate it, it's this group.  Even the video doesn't really show how fast her kayak was being pulled around.

More pics at my blog at http://guidesak.blogspot.com

Part I : The TEAM and Rudy's halibut

Part II: Greta's first EVER king!!!!!

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I just watched the 1st video,waiting for the 2nd to load up...
Again Rudy---awesome weekend....a lot of fun,great company,and the fishin wasn't too bad either.
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get a better camera set-up.Your video's help share with others so well.
Greta did super---catching that king.Amazing considering her lack of kayak expierence.
It was outstanding finally getting together.I'm hoping we'll hook-up again and do some more,ie. lower Kenai River for some big boy kings.Maybe we can get you that flounder you're looking for.We both know they are there.And of course, there is also the Kasilof for more kings.....yeehaww.Bring em on.......
Time to wath the 2nd video...........download taking forever......
Holy crap----she was booking.That's just way too fun........I see what you mean about her pulling away.
And d I need to say anything about the net job-------priceless.
Way to go guys.The paddling crew came through.No 1st place but in my opinion (and a lot of the power boat guys) the paddlers made a statement........Power to the Paddle............
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
and that is what it's all about.... great job all around folks.. :hello2:
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Way to go guys.  Watching you try to net the salmon was hilarious.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Way to go guys.  Watching you try to net the salmon was hilarious.

It's funny now...

I have caught hundreds of Kings...but without a doubt this was the most physically AND emotionally draining fish EVER.  I felt almost queezy after I finally got the fish in the net.  The sense of relief was just overpowering. 

Either fishing guides are a different breed or they have to learn not to care so much because there is no way I could have lived with that screw up... especially if I had just taken money as a guide. No can do.... 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Good job, folks.

If Greta had let her feet drag, over each side, it would have slowed down her yak's speed through the water, making the king work harder (and you less).

I was a guide for several years (flyfishing from a raft or shore) and yes, netting someone else's good fish was nerve racking. It mostly takes being patient about it and waiting until the fish rolls over for good. The fish will often make another run for it when they see the net for the first time, even if they've rolled over. Rather than stabbing for it, I prefer to have the net in the water and have the client get the fish's head up and slide it head first in to the net. Trying to net them from behind doesn't work very well- they sense something chasing them and they panic.

The halibut in my avatar was a 40lber and the net I had that day was a little small. I had a heck of a time getting it in the net. The first attempt it bridged the frame (head and tail) and danced around before flopping out. Next attempt I got the head in but not all of the body- when I picked the net up it balanced on the rim for several seconds before tipping backwards and out. ( After each failed attempt, it would run halfway back to the bottom.) I don't remember if I finally netted it on the 3rd or 4th attempt- I was a mess by then. The relief I felt when it finally dropped down in to the bag was intense.

I was impressed with your great attitude- "Just enjoy it!"

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Greta, way to go. Pisco's right in hanging your feet over the yak on both sides slows your drift and puts more pressure on the fish. All you guy's/gals did great in showing " the force be with the Yak" ;D

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
LOL, that was wild! been there with a noncooperating net, lot of stuff for that thing  to grab on a Kayak.I think greta needs her own net. That's a beauty King and a decent Hali, great job!

See ya on the water..
Roy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Hanging your feet over the edge?  Whaa?  In the video the guy paddling like crazy has his feet over the edge, the person being chased is streamlined and moving FAST!  I will have to remember that.....

rookies...sheesh

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Marvin A

• Rockfish
  • AKA Buckwheat
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Fish Fever, ya think??