Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Future of the Oregon Rockfish Classic  (Read 5816 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Regarding charities that ORC raises money for, I really don't want to see it drift away from "Neighbors for Kids" to just raising money for HOW.  HOW is absolutely a great purpose and can use money, however they are supported by several other events throughout the year, where as Neighbors for Kids does not. 

Back in 2010 or 2011 ORC was taking off and the NWKA crew here wanted to give back to the locals and we did an area search for a good charity that ORC could support in the Depoe Bay area.  Neighbors for Kids was one of the charities that was highlighted as a group that could really use extra funds to give the local kids a safe place to go after school and stay out of trouble in the community. 

So, I feel it's important that if ORC lives on, so should the charity support continue to be directed to Neighbors for Kids.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I agree with the Neighbor's for Kids sentiment.  One nice thing about supporting a local charity is the local officials supported us to include: finding us overflow parking, setting up a separate launch lane, keeping the boaters calmed down, and putting notices out in advance that we would be descending on the launch that day..

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
In the past we've done a 50/50 split with HOW and NFK, and I think that's cool.

TBH we had a pretty tough year of fundraising for HOW in comparison with past years. There was no Chinook Showdown (the fish were MIA), no Bonneville Bass Bonanza (Kayak Shed fire), and no ORC. We would have been in a big hole if not for CBY and his amazing effort at Sunset Bay Angler Of The Day. Pretty sure Mojo's Tilly tourney was the North Coast Chapter's only fundraiser for them.

I think it's important for us to support NFK too. That program is a real pillar in that small coastal community where the tax base is not large enough to fully fund a community center and the public transportation options are pretty slim to travel the 13 miles south to Newport Rec Center or 14 miles north to Lincoln City Community Center.

Regarding charities that ORC raises money for, I really don't want to see it drift away from "Neighbors for Kids" to just raising money for HOW.  HOW is absolutely a great purpose and can use money, however they are supported by several other events throughout the year, where as Neighbors for Kids does not. 

Back in 2010 or 2011 ORC was taking off and the NWKA crew here wanted to give back to the locals and we did an area search for a good charity that ORC could support in the Depoe Bay area.  Neighbors for Kids was one of the charities that was highlighted as a group that could really use extra funds to give the local kids a safe place to go after school and stay out of trouble in the community. 

So, I feel it's important that if ORC lives on, so should the charity support continue to be directed to Neighbors for Kids.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I agree with all of the sentiments about the charities, but if I'm understanding Brian's comments, trying to do a highly organized fundraiser event complete with entry fees and prizes, but without a sponsor to carry that load, is where ORC got way too complicated this year.  A Fish & Chill with a "suggested cash donation" amount might not be the worst thing to do to keep it going during this transition period.  Just saying.

And again, I'm making a suggestion for an event that I never attended and now I never will, so this comment isn't worth the paper it's printed on.  My brain is just leaking.  Again.   :angel:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:04:41 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
For what it's worth:  the Sunset Bay Angler of the Day event, based on info from their FB page, scores fish per inch as follows:

"Cabezon 7 points  Chinook 4 points  Coho 5 points  Flounder 8 points  Greenling 10 points  Halibut 4 points  Lingcod 5 points  Rockfish 8 points  Surf Perch 12 points"
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
In the past we've done a 50/50 split with HOW and NFK, and I think that's cool.

TBH we had a pretty tough year of fundraising for HOW in comparison with past years. There was no Chinook Showdown (the fish were MIA), no Bonneville Bass Bonanza (Kayak Shed fire), and no ORC. We would have been in a big hole if not for CBY and his amazing effort at Sunset Bay Angler Of The Day. Pretty sure Mojo's Tilly tourney was the North Coast Chapter's only fundraiser for them.

I think it's important for us to support NFK too. That program is a real pillar in that small coastal community where the tax base is not large enough to fully fund a community center and the public transportation options are pretty slim to travel the 13 miles south to Newport Rec Center or 14 miles north to Lincoln City Community Center.

I really like the idea of supporting NFK for all the various reasons mentioned, though particularly the local good-will.  I might suggest they be the "official" charity supported by ORC.  Then also have a hat to pass around for HOW donations as many of us like donating to them too.  Perhaps the taco feed/potuck/whatever it becomes partly (along with NFK) or wholly supports HOW with any funds raised.
2012 ORC 5th Place