Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:57:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:33:08 AM]

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Ugly stik tiger for sturgeon  (Read 6259 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Looking for a sturgeon rod that could also serve double duty if I ever make it to the salt.  pretty much centered in on uglystik tiger series.  Went to cabelas tonight to look st them (side not: the fishing selection at the tualatin one is really expanded since the bps merger).  Seems like most people recommend the 7ft medium 20-50 lb. I was also looking at the tiger elite and the 7ft heavy is a 14-40. I liked the handle and overall feel of the elite more but worry that it may be a little underpowered for sturgeon.  Not intending to specifically targetivoversize

Curious what people’s thoughts are. I think the elites are similar to the older Lite.

Also! I s an okuma coldwater 202 sized reel too small for sturgeon or enough line cap?

Thanks!

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have been running the new tiger medium 7'  1-6oz. I'm impressed on keeper size fish and wouldn't feel undergunned on bigger fish.Would be great for lings and rockfish also. The size of the reel isn't as big of a deal as the ability to put the brakes on a fish. Guys have been using the coldwater low pros on Sturgeon  and rockfish/lings with great success. That reel should be fine.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The Tiger Elite is not under powered for sturgeon. In fact sturgeon fishing with the regular tiger is boring (IMO).  And for salt water it would be worse unless you like to just crank the reel and not feel the fish. It is a meat stick.   If you are absolutely wanting the Ugly Stik brand get the Elite.  Or, for about $40-50 more get a Shimano Trevala in medium heavy http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-TREVALA_S_JIGGING_CASTING.html
I have landed many over-sized sturgeon and a 6 foot halibut with one and have never felt under-gunned.  It is probably one of my favorite rods.  They also make smaller fish like lingcod, rockfish, and Cabezon more fun to fight, are much lighter for jigging with all day, and are much more sensitive.  But the aforementioned is all just my opinion.  All I can say is I started with the Tiger because it was cheap.  I did not like it so I got the Tiger Elite. It was ok, but I have now moved on to the Trevala and am finally happy.  If I would have spent a little more in the beginning, I would be much further ahead financially.  This seems to apply to tools too. ::)

If you really want the Elite, I have one that I used for about one season before moving on that I would be willing to part with. It has hung in my rod rack for a few years as a back-up, but since I never fish for sturgeon anymore, it is just taking up space. That way you can spend less to test it out. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:27:54 PM by craig »

Shin09

• Salmon
Thanks for the responses! Craig, sent you a PM.

YAKTASTIC, thanks for the response on the reels. At the sturgeon social saw alot of guys with the 202 and 153 Coldwater so figured that size would be OK.  Seems like people also recommend and Abu 6500 sized reel too.   Or the used penn 209 or 320 if you can find one

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I would second the Shimano Trevala and Coldwater combo for sturgeon and bottom fish.

If money is of concern checkout this rod which is dollar for dollar a pretty doggone good deal https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triton-Tuna-Series-Jigging-Rod-66-20-80-LB-20N/132526780311?hash=item1edb362f97:g:wogAAOSwGOtanKXE:rk:7:pf:0  The guy is nice, and has a shop in Vancouver so you can save on the shipping.  I own both the Trevala and this one and I can't see any difference with the two. I've used both on the ocean and for sturgeon and it's a heck of a lot more fun than the ugly stik tiger.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
3rd the Trevala series rods. My wife and I both use the Medium Light spinning for the ocean and it's handled big lingcod and cabezon gracefully. I wouldn't use it for sturgeon but it would be fine until you got into oversized fish.

yaktastic

• Salmon
Thanks for the responses! Craig, sent you a PM.

YAKTASTIC, thanks for the response on the reels. At the sturgeon social saw alot of guys with the 202 and 153 Coldwater so figured that size would be OK.  Seems like people also recommend and Abu 6500 sized reel too.   Or the used penn 209 or 320 if you can find one

You cant go wrong with the 209. I have one. Simple and tough. It's the most budget friendly. It is suuuuuuper sloooooooow on the gearing lol. Even on Sturgeon  you got to reel like a madman from time to time to catch up to a fish. Penn squall levelwind or openface reels are great to. I have a levelwind squall size 20 with 22lbs of drag. Works great for anything from rockfish to Sturgeon.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I will keep echoing the Trevala rods.

For the reel- if you wanted to save some money- i would go with the Penn Warfare.  That reel does 36 inches per revolution.  I love having reels that bring the line in easily and quickly so you can keep the line tight on the fish.  With a drag properly set you shouldn't face too many issues.  I believe that the warfare can handle most fish just fine.  This reel is often found on sale for $50-60. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Shin09

• Salmon
Yeah I handled the Trevala rods in Cabelas and they did feel very nice in hand, light and balanced.  I just don't really know if I am wanting to spend the $$ on one at this point for a rod that won't get used that much (and it would be my most expensive rod actually!).  I see people on here use them as salmon rods (at least the 7' ML) so maybe could get more used out of it.  I want to make it into the salt for the first time this year, but otherwise would just be using it on sturgeon.

For reel, thinking I should just use my Okuma CW303 that I have on my salmon reel and get something more appropriately sized for Salmon.  I did handle a Warfare at Cabelas the other day too and they feel really solid, more so than the Coldwaters for sure. 

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
I don't know many people that use the Trevala for salmon as it is so short- maybe if they are mooching but typically not for trolling.  I use it mainly for the ocean while jigging and for sturgeon

If you have a salmon rod, it can be used for sturgeon- it will just prolong the fight. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Shin09

• Salmon
Yeah I used my Salmon rod down at JP the other week and I would like a rod with a little more leverage, plus the long salmon rod was kinda a pain.

yaktastic

• Salmon
I don't know many people that use the Trevala for salmon as it is so short- maybe if they are mooching but typically not for trolling.  I use it mainly for the ocean while jigging and for sturgeon

If you have a salmon rod, it can be used for sturgeon- it will just prolong the fight.

I know of 2 guys that do. One of them landed way more salmon than me this last fall.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

I know of 2 guys that do. One of them landed way more salmon than me this last fall.

Interesting!  I am sure it would work.  I have trolled 16-20 oz weight with it in the past and it has worked well. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I troll 16 oz weights on my 10 1/2 foot Lamiglass X-11 1-6 oz salmon rod  at B-10 when necessary and it has never been an issue.  Usually 8- 14 oz is plenty, though. 

Shin09

• Salmon
Fishfield has the trevalas on sale so thinking may go that route.  would the 7' ML 20-50 be enough for sturgeon or would you step up to the 6-6 M (30-80)?   Thinking the 7' could be a backup salmon rod or second rod in the willy, but the 6-6 would be a bit too stiff and short.   

anything