Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How do you pee from a kayak?  (Read 34540 times)

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
There are a couple female friendly options on the market that I've heard good results from my wife's realm of friends:
The Shewee and the Go-girl; both are more or less a plastic phallus.

I'm not a fan of kneeling up while in rough seas. Somehow the rougher the water the more apt I am to have the urge. If it's calm, I can hold it forever. Regardless, I always try to kneel first, but abort the attempt before establishing a stream. This is usually due to the thoughts of a future me falling in the ocean with gallons of seawater rushing in through my nether-regions.

I have had the thought of some type of hose similar to the above mentioned devices, but anatomically shaped to fit dudes. Anybody try that? Don't astronauts use a similar hose so they don't pee all over in space?
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm glad someone else brought this up so I didn't have to. I'm pretty much screwed with my current setup on the ocean though: farmer john = no way to zip down without taking off everything including PFD. When I'm not wearing immersion gear I just water the scupper holes.

Good tip(s) for the ladies!

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
In my Caper, the footwells don't drain out the scuppers so that option is out. I have always taken a ziplock baggy, but it's kinda tricky. Last couple of times I just used the hog trough and managed to get everything over the side ok!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

YakBasser

• Perch
  • Days spent fishing are days well spent!
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Ironic timing on this thread. I was just pondering this yesterday, now that I've ordered my dry suit w/relief zip. Part of my motivation was being tired of having to head ashore with the dry top/waders combo.  Some of my coworkers have used the term "baby bladder" on me, so this topic is a real concern for me. Valuable info!
Fishing Kayak - Sunrise OK Trident 13
Cobra Triple - Slate Gray
Most Targeted species: LM/SM Bass
I'm into building and repairing fishing rods

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have two methods. One is to straddle the kayak with my legs hanging off the side. Then I lean forward and hook ankles on the underside of the boat. Then pee into the footwell or drivewell. Option two is to just lean back and make the rainbow. Option one is less messy but option two is faster and I can even do it while pedaling. If you are working hard to cover a good distance staying hydrated is pretty important.

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I have two methods. One is to straddle the kayak with my legs hanging off the side. Then I lean forward and hook ankles on the underside of the boat. Then pee into the footwell or drivewell. Option two is to just lean back and make the rainbow. Option one is less messy but option two is faster and I can even do it while pedaling. If you are working hard to cover a good distance staying hydrated is pretty important.
+1 on the second method...though I've never tried while pedaling!
+2 on staying hydrated. Mucho importante.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
+1 on the second method...though I've never tried while pedaling!
+2 on staying hydrated. Mucho importante.
pedal peeling is a must while trolling. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I'm fine with taking a break from the troll so I can water the sea weed. I don't think it's that important.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

The Bike Rat

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
A relief tube like is on some aircraft would work.  Just a flexible tube that goes overboard with sort of a funnel on the end.
Steve
USAF (Ret)

Eagle Talon

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
Assuming you can unzip......A plastic "male urinal" from Wally-World works well....about $6.00... :angel:

ColdFusion

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Kokatat has (had?) dry suits with specific "women" relief zipper.

I don't have a dry suit, I have wet suits only, so I bought some neoprene, zipper, velcro and I took one of my wet suits to a sewer who for $40 sewed in the zipper exactly the Kokatat way. Not sure what SINK people would do in a such case.

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
This thread is AWESOME!!!!  :banjo:
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I had a relief zipper installed in my farmer john at Eugene Skin Divers years ago. I think it was $35. Best investment ever!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Ditto on Noah's method for me. As an aside, I am told there is a fine if the game warden catches you putting urine in the water. One has to wonder about proof on that one... "You have a video officer, really, you pervert.  Oh, now you have handcuffs and you want me to get in your van?"  I'm sure this sounded funnier in my head.
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If you do a lot of fishing in cold turbulent water a long way from shore, frequently wear a dry suit, and don’t like the idea of trying to pee through a relief zipper in those conditions, you could install a pee valve in your dry suit.  It’s an expensive option, but works great.

I do a lot of spearfishing from my kayak.  I set up a line of diver down buoys along a weed line, anchor my kayak over the weeds, and snorkel around whacking pike.  I typically spend 4-6 hours in the water during a day of spearfishing.

During a day of spearfishing, periodically I would think, “huh, I kind of need to take a pee.”  Then fifteen minutes later I would realize “wow, I REALLY need to pee.”  The character of the shorelines and lake bottoms in the lakes where I do most of my spearfishing makes it tough to swim into shallow water, stand up, and pee.  So I’d need to churn a hundred yards or more back to my kayak, climb into the kayak, and then struggle with the process of peeing through my relief zipper, hampered by the many layers of insulating clothing I was wearing.  It was a big hassle, which I’d often need to repeat several times during a day of spearfishing.

Scuba divers who use dry suits have the same problem on long dives.  Their solutions are (a) dehydrate yourself, which creates other problems, and doesn’t always work, (b) wear disposable diapers, which is messy and disgusting, or (c) install a pee valve.  A pee valve is a valve which is installed someplace on the thigh of a dry suit.  There are “balanced” and “unbalanced” pee valves.  Balanced valves work better on deep dives, but cost more.  A hose runs from the pee valve to an external catheter.  A male external catheter is like an adhesive-lined condom with a short section of rubber hose on the tip.  The catheter is attached to the end of the hose which runs to the pee valve.  There are external catheters for women, but I don’t know anything about them.  External catheters are available at medical supply stores. 

I have installed a balanced pee valve in my spearfishing drysuit, and have been really happy with its performance while spearfishing.  Any time I feel the urge to pee, I can just let loose, without any interruption in the spearfishing process.  If members of this forum have any interest in pee valve systems, I could do a posting on the details of these systems.

However, when kayak fishing, I only use my pee valve when the weather is so cold and inclement that I’m wearing my dry suit, and I’m going to be a long way from shore.  Consequently, usually when I’m fishing I’m trying to pee like everybody else.  And I haven’t figured out a way to do it yet which is convenient and safe.  One option would be to attach an external catheter to a length of hose, and run the hose down my pant leg.  When I want to pee, I could just hang my leg over the side of my kayak.  However, I’m looking for a lower-tech method which works when wearing pants in warm weather, and probably a different system which works when wearing waders or dry pants in cooler weather, and appreciate all of your thoughtful and insightful suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:34:38 PM by pmmpete »