Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Fish and Parasites  (Read 20591 times)

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
You will never find a fish in market left in round as it is unsanitary an fish meat will take on the flavour of its stomach and contents.

-Rodney-

Ummm ... lots of Asian food markets carry fish in the round.

-Allen
lol I realize there are accept ions to every rule. By market I meant modern north american markets ie Safeway,wallmart ect. not all markets will practice the same preparation methods. Traditional preparation methods will vary by culture. None the less all persons grow up consuming different flavours and as I have noted above the only way to tell is to compare finished flavours between alternate methods of preparation.

-Rodney-

I'm sorry you consider Safeway and Walmart your fish stores of choice. Though that does speak directly to your general lack of understanding about seafood handling.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
i do not buy of of the shelf fish. I prefer to catch and eat my own fish because I have no faith in the way others may handle such a sensitive staple food. For best quality product I suggest to all to dress the fish as soon as possible.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
If you have bought fish from Safeway and Walmart you have.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon

There aren't species that keep better in the round. Just some that it is unnecessary to gut.
Namely rockfish. Their guts will not eat through the belly lining like salmon or cod will. Simply bleeding and chilling is plenty of prep.
If you want to gut your rockfish on the water go for it but you are asking to cut, spine or otherwise hurt yourself for no marked benefit. 

Fungunnin, could you expand a bit on gutting salmanoid species? By that I mean, say you're fishing kokanee, trout, or steelhead all day and you've got a couple in the fish bag on ice. It's going to be another 7-8 hrs before you get home to fillet them. Assuming the fish stay cool till then is there a drastic difference in the meat quality between a fish that was bled, gutted, and stuck on ice as opposed to one that was just bled and iced?

7-8 hours isn't going to change much as long as you get the fish cold.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012

There aren't species that keep better in the round. Just some that it is unnecessary to gut.
Namely rockfish. Their guts will not eat through the belly lining like salmon or cod will. Simply bleeding and chilling is plenty of prep.
If you want to gut your rockfish on the water go for it but you are asking to cut, spine or otherwise hurt yourself for no marked benefit. 

Fungunnin, could you expand a bit on gutting salmanoid species? By that I mean, say you're fishing kokanee, trout, or steelhead all day and you've got a couple in the fish bag on ice. It's going to be another 7-8 hrs before you get home to fillet them. Assuming the fish stay cool till then is there a drastic difference in the meat quality between a fish that was bled, gutted, and stuck on ice as opposed to one that was just bled and iced?

7-8 hours isn't going to change much as long as you get the fish cold.

Thanks FG
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
I like to gut my salmon on the boat for a couple reasons. One being that I always fillet my salmon after they are gutted and it just seems silly to gut them then fillet right away. Plus a get to leave the messy part out in the water.

Commercial guys will hold salmon round for 12 to 36 hours anything much over 48 hours you will start to get belly burn.

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon

I like to gut my salmon on the boat for a couple reasons. One being that I always fillet my salmon after they are gutted and it just seems silly to gut them then fillet right away. Plus a get to leave the messy part out in the water.

Commercial guys will hold salmon round for 12 to 36 hours anything much over 48 hours you will start to get belly burn.

I know you can toss the guts and carcass overboard in the ocean, but is it against regs to do that on lakes and rivers?
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
I have no idea what the Oregon regs are.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

I know you can toss the guts and carcass overboard in the ocean, but is it against regs to do that on lakes and rivers?

I can't find much either way in the WA regs.
2012 ORC 5th Place

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I'm always surprised to hear the the charters fillet fish when still on the boat.  It is my understanding, from one of the game wardens (or whatever we call them) that you can't do this unless you are completely done fishing for the day and off the water... or at least I am not allowed to do it. 
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon

I have no idea what the Oregon regs are.

I live in Washington but fish both. You would think its illegal in lakes, but if its not specifically prohibited in the regs, maybe it's not an issue.
RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
ODFW marine regulations, page 11 (http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2013/2013%20Oregon%20Sport%20Fishing_Marine%20Zone%20Regs.pdf)

"It is unlawful: for anglers fishing from a boat to mutilate fish so the size or species cannot be determined prior to landing; to transport
mutilated fish across state waters; except that albacore may be partially cleaned at sea. Partial cleaning means only the head and
entrails may be removed; the clavicle (collar) must stay intact and the tail must stay intact. It is also unlawful for anglers fishing from
shore to mutilate fish so that size or species cannot be determined prior to reaching their automobile or principle means of land
transportation, and having completed their daily angling. These restrictions do not apply to herring, anchovy, smelt and sardine."

That reads to me like you could gut a fish, but not fillet it, while at sea (with exceptions as noted).

anything