Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: DIY Battery Box  (Read 101900 times)

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Where do you have your fuse?

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
My syst is almost exactly like Lee's. Wallyworld waterproof box(cheap)with a hole to accomodate the plug in(sealed) and the in-line fuse is in the box with the battery.
Extra foam pieces to keep the battery secure in the box and also spare fuses and dialectic grease housed in there also. Works great. Too lazy to take a pic. Thanks Lee. I see you all have Cabelas 12 volt batteries. I have both a Powersonic and a Cabelas in case I need to trade out batteries on an extended trip with no way of recharging. Glad to see Cabelas is popular as I start working for them this Friday at the new store opening up in Tulalip. Drop by and see me if in the area.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
pretty much the same thing i did except for the pass thru on the box. there i used the old waterproof trailer connector trick. mostly the same parts to assemble it tho....

BTW, Freddie's has a nice waterproof Lexan box that works well for this, usu. listed @ $18.00 i've caught them on sale for $9-10.00

If you go the trailer connector route and use a Lexan box instead of ABS plastic, drill a 9/64th hole in the side of the box to allow wire sizes up to 10 guage., Use water to lubricate the side of the box while drilling s-l-o-w-l-y.. this is information i'm passing on from our resident fabricator after talking to him via PM.

Defnitely use the liquid electrical tape., it provides and added measure of sealant that you otherwise wont have . 
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My battery hides in my Hobie dry bag and that clips to the mast so it doesn't go anywhere during fishing.  While in my T-13, I just use the provided battery bag and haven't had any corrosion issue since day one in 2008 when I purchased it.
I do use dielectric grease religiously. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Since the battery is already sealed, I saw no reason to do anything other than seal up the connections with marine goop. Going on 4 years now without any problems! I did at one time have a fuse in line. I ended up removing it because it wasn't really needed, and could present a corrosion problem.

Love this Dave!  What connector are you using there.  It's surely better than the eartabs.

-Allen

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
I do really like the simplistic approach that Dave's solution takes, but I can't personally hook up a $300 electronic gadget without the fuse, which is recommended by the manufacturer.  A fuse might never be needed, but when it is, it's really nice to have it.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I do really like the simplistic approach that Dave's solution takes, but I can't personally hook up a $300 electronic gadget without the fuse, which is recommended by the manufacturer.  A fuse might never be needed, but when it is, it's really nice to have it.

So, put a fuse inline and then completely encase it and all connections in Goop. 
You get your security with the fuse, and don't have to worry about corrosion. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The fuse I was using was encased in a water resistant rubber holder. I guess if the battery somehow shorted out there could be a problem, but it hasn't happened so far. The connector that I use is a standard automotive type like you would use on a trailer connection, except it only has two prongs. I suppose if one did want to have a fuse inline, it should be on the FF side of your connections.
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I just recreated Lee's setup but they were fresh out of 3a fuses at AutoZone so I bought 4a. Does anyone forsee a problem with using a slightly larger amp size? I'm running an Elite 4 gps/fishfinder off a 12v battery.
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
For future reference, I would suggest going under rather than over.  I'd rather blow more fuses than let more than three amps of current flow to the device.  I don't really think you'll have a problem though.  If you ever come across some fuses rated for 3 or less though I'd pick them up and swap them out. 

Let's just do a little number work for the halibut... err... helluvit.  These devices are usually rated to operate between 8 to 18 volts.  If you have 3 amps flowing through for some weird reason and are using a battery that can supply 18 volts(I don't know anyone that does this), that's a worst-case of (3*18) 54 watts.  I really doubt they used electrical components that are rated past 50 watts in these devices since those are pretty pricey and bulky. 

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Fuses are super cheap too.  I got a box of mini bus 3amp fuses for under $2. 

Just stop into another auto parts store when you see one, and grab a box of 3amp.  Your FF is worth it IMO.

Pretty sure warranty wouldn't cover it if they figure out your device blew due to overload.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Your FF is worth it IMO.

I always wonder about this.  Here's my thought process.  You'd need a decent short somewhere to trip the fuse.  One likely cause for a short is physical damage to the wiring.  But really, what is that going to do to your FF?  Likely nothing except cut the power to it.  The other likely cause is a fault in the FF itself.  If it is bad enough to trip the fuse, you're FF is likely hosed anyways.

The more important aspect of a fuse is that if you have that short, what happens next?  I believe gel cell battery can source enough current to heat up the wires and potentially cause a fire or melt a hole through your kayak.

-Allen
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:51:42 AM by polepole »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
The more important aspect of a fuse is that if you have that short, what happens next?  I believe gel cell battery cause source enough current to heat up the wires and potentially cause a fire or melt a hole through your kayak.

That sounds like the more important reason to have a fuse.  I've seen people use a lead acid gel cell without a case or a fuse.  Just some wires and a battery hanging out in the bottom of the kayak.   :o

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
The more important aspect of a fuse is that if you have that short, what happens next?  I believe gel cell battery cause source enough current to heat up the wires and potentially cause a fire or melt a hole through your kayak.

-Allen

That's what I was talking about when I said "A fuse might never be needed, but when it is, it's really nice to have it."  But for clarity's sake, the 4amp fuse would stop hot wires / fire / melting hull, but it isn't enough to protect your head unit. 

Having a fuse is essential IMO, whether it's to protect your head unit, or to keep you from sinking.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:03:01 AM by Lee »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I've seen people use a lead acid gel cell without a case or a fuse.

I didn't use a fuse for years before "waking up".  You'd think the electrical engineer in me would have known this from day 1.   :-[

-Allen

anything