Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Buoy 10 Mooching Walk-thru  (Read 4620 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
If I go to YouTube what would I use to find the video? I'm looking at this on an iPad and it doesn't give me tha actual link... Just embeds it.

The piece that you and Pinstriper were looking for is that this is a technique you reserve for high slack in the Columbia estuary.  An hour before to an hour after are the best times.  Any other time and the currents are usually just too unruly. 
As dberd mentioned, at high slack, the anchovies will be feeding way up the estuary.  Often times you'll find jumpers and feeding sealions.  Paddle around till you find a bunch of bigger fish and deploy.

On the day that I shot this video, I'd been trolling for a couple of hours without a sniff.  Same for most of the boats I spoke with.  The fish were there but they were getting their fill without chasing down individual bait fish.  The beauty of mooching is that it presents your herring as being wounded and falling to the bottom.  Easy pickings for an already satisfied predator.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Mooching works great. Thanks for sharing Mark.

BTW-------- I saw about 40 boats above the bridge on Thursday. That usually means there are a few fish around.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:57:57 AM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Freeze

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Picked up the mooching gear shown on the video.  Hoping to catch my first salmon ever out here at Three Tree Point in Burien. Thanks for the vid 

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
What's that soft white "bow cover"????
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Great video Spot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
What's that soft white "bow cover"????

The "bow cover" is actually a Seattle Sports catch bag.  Gotta have somewhere to keep your fish cold.

To that end, I'm really liking my Ice Mule the replaced my old bag.  I've gotten 2 days (both with fish) out of the same bag of ice.

Freeze - Good luck on your 1st salmon!  If you need a break from jigging, let your bait hang in the bite zone.  Salmon will sometimes surprise you by taking a motionless bait... eh Mark Collett?

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
 :happy1: Bookmarked. Great material as usual and thanks again Mark. This will be a great way to fish during a high slack lunch break.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Picked up the mooching gear shown on the video.  Hoping to catch my first salmon ever out here at Three Tree Point in Burien. Thanks for the vid

If you're mooching in the sound you'll want to modify the technique Mark is using, he's mooching in 20'. In our neck of the woods that technique will leave you with a lot of dogfish. It is similar through.

1. Find bait and note the depth
2. Cast out your line so that when the weight and herring hit the water the line is straight.
3. Thumb your reel and let it fall until about 40' past where you marked bait (watch your line counter)
4. Your line angle should be about 45º. Adjust the weight if needed. 2-4 oz. is usually what you want
5. If a fish doesn't grab your herring and your line counter is marking the bottom of the bait ball, bring it back up at an easy pace. About 1 second per handle turn.
5. If a fish grabs the herring on the fall it will feel like it hit bottom. REEL IN LIKE MAD and don't stop until you feel the fish fighting back/running. When a fish grabs it on the way up, same deal but a little less urgency since your line won't have slack in it.

Shoot back with any questions.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:12:59 AM by ZeeHawk »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

It's like I said--------- mooching works.

Lots of boats out today- above and below the bridge. The flagger on the  construction told me he saw quite a few fighting fish.

I'll be taking the kayak with me next time down there....
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for the video - simple, to the point - I like it!

Freeze

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for all the great advice.  If things go as currently planned I'll be out at C/R with one of the kayakers on this site.