Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Easter walleye  (Read 2787 times)

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I had been itching to get out for walleye again after not getting much time last year and no way was I going to go battle the water below the dam with the high water.i had to go on the hunt for the tastiest of the warm water fish.weather on sunday was perfect.warm, mostly cloudy early on then partly cloudy later with no wind.

I went out and found a flat out of the main current  with a slow pace flow.upon finding a suitable place to start I dropped my crawler harness down behind a 2oz bouncer and downhill I trolled.i hadn't gone far when my rod shot Back like I snagged a passing motorcycle  and 12lb pline shot off my reel for a second. I grabbed the rod and played the  mystery fish for a good minute. I was thinking  I have caught enough walleye over the years to know they don't run like that, if they take line it's not much just short turnes and a few head shakes. So I wondered what it could be.it fought dirty like a big smallmouth with short bursting runs and head shakes. I thought it could be a small steelhead from the bursts till I got a look at the culprit. It turned out to be a hog of a Squaw fish. I have never caught one that big. I know they are a problem fish for many reasons and have been plagued by them myself fishing eggs, but when they get that big they can test your gear. After a net job and hard swift bonk of wood shampoo I tossed it on the board to measure it. 21" holly moly! I have to wonder how many smolts I saved. I fed it to the birds and got back trolling.

My first pass was uneventful. My second pass yealded a smallmouth at the top end of the pass and then I got the first sign of what I was looking for half way down the run.i was a bit rusty on the hookset and pulled it away but inspection of my crawler showed I was in the right spot. Deep slashes in the worms head.i put on a fresh bait and finished the troll with another hit from a short bite that took the back half of my crawler.

I ran up to start my 3rd troll.i modified my bouncer a bit.added fresh bait that I had to admire, it hung perfect on the hooks and I remember saying to myself " that should get bit".I dropped down in 13ft a few yards farther out from my last passes.about half way down I was looking at something to my right and when I looked back to the left my rod was hanging heavy like It momentarily hung up but it slowly pulled back, relaxed, and pulled again. Holy shit fish! I grabbed the rod from the holder and lifted. I knew it was a walleye from the lack of spunk that they are known for but tell tale movements and subtle head shakes.got my net and it dodged my first attempt. I got a few more cranks on the reel and lifted again and slid him right in the net. Fat and healthy 21" male.after i admired him for a minute I lifted him from the net it got a look at how easy it could have lost the fish with the wrong move.my rear harness hook was through a tiny piece of skin in the roof of his mouth. Got him taken care of and got back fishing.i finished the next pass and a half with several torn up worms and bad hook sets.

On my trolls about 1/3 of the way down I kept hitting a spot with a slight rise and I would always get bit or bumped but no matter what I couldn't hookup.this time I held my rod with my left hand so I was ready as I rolled over the spot and again I got a bump.i stopped peddling and reached back and gave the fish the rod, and when I felt the weight I swept forward and fish on! This one came up with out much fuss and slid right in the net just as the top hook popped loose but it was to late to escape. It taped at 14".

The next 2 passes yealded more bad hooksets, bites that didn't stick and 2 more smallmouth.

The bite was on fire but the catching was slow.it was still a great day on the water.i got some tasty fish for the table and hopefully helped some other tasty fish make it to the ocean to return in a few years.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

yaktastic

• Salmon
Pic
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:49:01 PM by yaktastic »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Nice walleye and sounds like it kept your interest even if the hook-ups where slim.  Nice pics and report. How far from the back was the second hook on the harness?  Sounds like tail nippers.  Pretty nice eats.  I tried Moses Lake last weekend and it's was windy and SLOW.  There was a big bass tourni and many boats came in early and wer growling about slow fishing and wind.  I brought in two really nice carp scales on a 1/8 ounce jig, fun for just a moment.  Ended up being a scouting trip and talked with some NWKA guys in the tri-city area and we'll have to try a meet-up again.

yaktastic

• Salmon
My second hook is about half way. If I had run a 3 hook it would have improved my odds probably.but that's walleye.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Nice looking 'eye! I need to target them more this year. My one trip for them last year turned into a smallmouth day (still fun.) Do want to get into some walleye though this year.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice report!  Your tale describes nearly ever walleye fishing day I've had.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

yaktastic

• Salmon
Nice looking 'eye! I need to target them more this year. My one trip for them last year turned into a smallmouth day (still fun.) Do want to get into some walleye though this year.
I only target them for a short time with work,weather, and springers.
Nice report!  Your tale describes nearly ever walleye fishing day I've had.

-Mark-

Thanks mark.yeah they can drive you mad in their own way but you forget all that when you taste them.

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Great fish and report!  Heard they are very tasty. Tacos?
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

yaktastic

• Salmon
Great fish and report!  Heard they are very tasty. Tacos?

Last night I did parmesan crusted fillets baked in the oven.so good. Thinking beer battered tonight. If I have enough I will do tacos

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Awesome report! Glad to hear the fish are turning on up there. That is a huge pikeminnow! And a nice walleye too. Thanks for sharing your tactics - gives me hope!  ;D

SrDesigner

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Excellent write up, very inspiring...thanks!