Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New species for this year: Halibut!  (Read 4919 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Summary: Who is ready for halibut this year? Great! Want me help me get ready for halibut, too? :)

Verbose version:
As many of you know, I just started kayak fishing a couple years ago and had taken about 20 years off from fishing entirely before that, effectively since I moved to the PNW from Alabama. I've been checking off new species each year and I've decided that the three target species this year are halibut, kokanee and coho (only keepers count). I think I have a reasonable shot at achieving kokanee and coho, but I'm very far from ready for kayak halibut fishing.

I've gotten most of the gear, including a drysuit, VHF radio and heavy duty rod/reel (same one I used for sturgeon successfully down in Portland in December). I'm figuring out the harpoon and float thing. Even once I get all the gear and watch all the videos that I can find, it won't actually give me the skills to do it as effectively as learning from someone who is experienced. With the very limited number of days that we can fish for halibut, a slow learning curve just isn't something I want to risk.

Which dates and where are the best spots to try? What are the top few things that I should keep in mind? What are a few things that those who are new to fishing for halibut, especially from a kayak, usually miss?

I'm posting this mostly to get advice, but I live in Snohomish and I'm up for heading out with anyone who is chasing halibut this year, of course. I've fished with a few of you now at various locations in lakes and the sound, as well as the Salmon Slayride in Hoodsport and the Sturgeon Social. I'm a safe and reasonably competent fisherman, so won't be too much of a hindrance.

I'd appreciate any advice you might be willing to share. I'd be happy to buy a beverage or food in return, too.  8)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
This should go well.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I've done kayak ocean bottom fishing for the last 10 years and I STILL haven't gotten the nerve to chase halis...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Skilledge

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2016
It’s not as big of a deal as people make it out to be, just go on a day that you know the weather is calm for a few days. Also if your not comfortable with going on the water even after the 3+ hour drive then don’t go it’s that simple.

I would go on a few bottom fish trips before attempting halibut fishing, reeling in a halibut from a kayak in rough conditions is interesting. Also a semi dry suit isn’t going to cut it, fine for places like nisqually flats on 80+ degree days, but not when your life depends on it. Last year I ended up having a 2nd guy on the trip back on my TI that wasn’t there when I left the dock. Successfully recovering back on a SOT kayak in rough conditions takes a lot of strength, something to be aware of and might be worth practicing. One of the reasons I bought a Hobie TI.

VHF radio isn’t going to do you much good when nobody is nearby, much safer to go with someone else for times when you end up off the kayak (which will eventually happen).

I do know of a few spots that are relatively calm that time of the year and are productive but I’m not going to give them away publicly.
I think it’s best to find out the info on your own then having other people feel liable after telling you where to go.
Kyle

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I would try the SEARCH button first before going out on this forum and asking to tag along. It takes years of trust for this type of fishing to join the off shore ranks.
Scott

JasonM

• Lingcod
I would try the SEARCH button first before going out on this forum and asking to tag along. It takes years of trust for this type of fishing to join the off shore ranks.
Thanks. I have searched both here and on the NorCalKayakAnglers forum and read all that I could. I have also watched the videos linked in both forums and other halibut fishing videos, both kayak and larger boat.

JasonM

• Lingcod
done much ocean bottom fishing anywhere?
I have bottom fished for smaller flatties and jigged down to around 200 feet for king salmon, but not bottom fished in structure for rockfish or lings.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Have you ever caught a halibut before? You would benefit greatly to get some introduction to this halibut species in a more controlled environment before stepping into the vulnerability of kayak fishing for halibut.  I'd suggest you go out on a power boat charter or a sport boat and target halibut to get a first experience under your belt.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
done much ocean bottom fishing anywhere?
I have bottom fished for smaller flatties and jigged down to around 200 feet for king salmon, but not bottom fished in structure for rockfish or lings.

ok so u have experience on the ocean?? the fog? shit conditions?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:09:09 PM by dampainter »

JasonM

• Lingcod
Have you ever caught a halibut before? You would benefit greatly to get some introduction to this halibut species in a more controlled environment before stepping into the vulnerability of kayak fishing for halibut.  I'd suggest you go out on a power boat charter or a sport boat and target halibut to get a first experience under your belt.
I have actually thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend one of the few days that we can fish for halibut on a charter boat instead of the kayak. I wouldn't be heading out after halibut on the kayak unless the weather and water were both calm. What are the differences that I should worry about between sturgeon and halibut from a kayak? I had the same "try it from a boat first" advice about sturgeon, but catching a sturgeon that was just over 60" long from the kayak wasn't nearly as challenging as most people had made it out to be. That's my closest experience to halibut so far.

JasonM

• Lingcod
ok so u have experience on the ocean?? the fog? shit conditions?
Yep.. crappy conditions, unexpected changes in weather that put me in fog heavy enough that I had to use the chart on the fish finder to head the right way back to the launch (freaked me out a bit the first time), and a couple times in very rough water. I haven't had to deal with either dragging a big fish on or beside the kayak yet, though.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
It would not be a waste of a halibut day to go out on a power boat to gain a first experience.  Hey, at least you would get a waypoint.

Skilledge

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2016
The first time I went halibut fishing on a kayak if I remember right I just got in my truck and drove to the coast. I’ve seen you fish before, 2-3 ft wind chop as “rough conditions” give me a break the sound is a pond compared to 9-12 ft swells and all afternoon fog that are common during the early season. Also the season is actually kind of long, you will be burned out well before the end.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
ur ocean experience is the puget sound?? where have u ocean fished? u just started yakin a couple years ago?? u have zero time on the actual ocean huh?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:08:11 AM by dampainter »