Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 08:59:01 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Motion sickness meds  (Read 2352 times)

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I've tried most of them.  The patch works (at least to the point I can recover and keep fishing after puking).  Nothing else, including Bonine, Dramamine, ginger, CBD oil, voodoo rituals, etc works.  But the patch has a tendency to come off on the kayak, probably because of the wet environment, and occasional sub-conscious scratching.  I'd like to try the scopalomine pills (Scopace).  But I'm having a hard time finding them.  Apparently they quit making them for the US market several years ago, and even if I could find a pharmacy that would compound it I'd still need a prescription.  And I haven't found a local-ish pharmacy yet to compound it.  I guess it used to be possible to order Kwells (same thing as Scopace) from Australia or the UK, but every website I've tried is either out of stock, or won't ship to the USA anymore. 

Anyone have suggestions?  Or some extra Kwells they can send me?  I want to be able to go for halibut this year.  I FINALLY have clearance this year to go for WA halibut (the second weekend).  I want to be ready.
2012 ORC 5th Place

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Get ahold of Craig (Insayn) I know he uses it and gets someplace around here to compound it for him. 
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Have you tried taking the motion sickness pills the night before you head out? I always had issues as well when taking pills the day of, they never seemed to work well, but taking Bonine the night before has seemed to fix me up pretty well, it also has the benefit of knocking me out cold for sleep which can be beneficial as well.

In regards to the Scopace pills, it appears from a quick search on ebay that Kwells can be for approximately $20/12 pack which is certainly worth it if they work for you. They list with shipping price to the US so I would presume that they would ship it. One of the listings has sold 323 and the seller seems reputable.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Have you tried taking the motion sickness pills the night before you head out? I always had issues as well when taking pills the day of, they never seemed to work well, but taking Bonine the night before has seemed to fix me up pretty well, it also has the benefit of knocking me out cold for sleep which can be beneficial as well.

In regards to the Scopace pills, it appears from a quick search on ebay that Kwells can be for approximately $20/12 pack which is certainly worth it if they work for you. They list with shipping price to the US so I would presume that they would ship it. One of the listings has sold 323 and the seller seems reputable.

I've tried everything with the other remedies. 

Do you have a link to that seller for Kwells?  Was that Ebay?  I can't surf that at work, but if you send a link I can check it at home.
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Sumpz, when Hope Industries quit making the 0.4 mg Scopace pills in 2012 I was careful not to blow through my current stash until I found a solution. 

What I did was call my local compounding pharmacy and asked what my options were.  They said they can make capsules, cream and one other form that don't remember off hand what that was. They cannot make the actual pill form though.  So, I opted for the capsule form.

So, once I procured my source I had to discuss this with my family doctor on what Scopolamine is, what it is for and how I used it in the past for fishing on the ocean.  From there, he wrote me a prescription and sent it to the compounding pharmacy for me.  The compounding pharmacy filled the order within days and I was set! 

That was several years ago now and I still use this same pharmacy and get 30 caps a fill, with another 30 cap refill before I have to request another round from the doctor.  My son has also been given a prescription from his doctor so we are both good to go.  I think it works out to about $1 a capsule.

As for how these Scopace/Scopolamine caps work.
We take one an hour prior to launch to give it ample time to get set up.
The dose is supposed to last 6-8 hours, but I have felt them wear off as soon as 5 hours.
So, we take one every 4 hours to make sure they overlap without any gaps. 
This has worked really well for us.
Since this 0.4mg dose is fairly small, you can control the effects by taking two at a time or just more often if needed. 
The Scopolamine stick on patch can be too strong for some folks and cause dizziness and/or blurred vision, as well as cotton mouth.
The Scopace capsule hasn't given me any side effects whatsoever.  It completely kills any and all nausea that the ocean has ever tried to throw at me with excellent results.  One thing every other brand of motion sickness does to me is cause drowsiness. Scopace does not do this at all.

I just keep a plastic waterproof match container in my PFD pocket to have them on hand on the water without worrying that they will get soaked.  Works perfectly!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:17:54 AM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Do you have a link to that seller for Kwells?  Was that Ebay?  I can't surf that at work, but if you send a link I can check it at home.

YMMV on this whole thing. It seems like Insayn's deal is pretty good as well if you're wanting to go the more legit route.

https://ebay.us/2vNrne
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Sumpz, when Hope Industries quit making the 0.4 mg Scopace pills in 2012 I was careful not to blow through my current stash until I found a solution. 

What I did was call my local compounding pharmacy and asked what my options were.  They said they can make capsules, cream and one other form that don't remember off hand what that was. They cannot make the actual pill form though.  So, I opted for the capsule form.

So, once I procured my source I had to discuss this with my family doctor on what Scopolamine is, what it is for and how I used it in the past for fishing on the ocean.  From there, he wrote me a prescription and sent it to the compounding pharmacy for me.  The compounding pharmacy filled the order within days and I was set! 

That was several years ago now and I still use this same pharmacy and get 30 caps a fill, with another 30 cap refill before I have to request another round from the doctor.  My son has also been given a prescription from his doctor so we are both good to go.  I think it works out to about $1 a capsule.

As for how these Scopace/Scopolamine caps work.
We take one an hour prior to launch to give it ample time to get set up.
The dose is supposed to last 6-8 hours, but I have felt them wear off as soon as 5 hours.
So, we take one every 4 hours to make sure they overlap without any gaps. 
This has worked really well for us.
Since this 0.4mg dose is fairly small, you can control the effects by taking two at a time or just more often if needed. 
The Scopolamine stick on patch can be too strong for some folks and cause dizziness and/or blurred vision, as well as cotton mouth.
The Scopace capsule hasn't given me any side effects whatsoever.  It completely kills any and all nausea that the ocean has ever tried to throw at me with excellent results.  One thing every other brand of motion sickness does to me is cause drowsiness. Scopace does not do this at all.

I just keep a plastic waterproof match container in my PFD pocket to have them on hand on the water without worrying that they will get soaked.  Works perfectly!

Only one local compounding pharmacy, and they'll only do the cream.  That's $45 for 20 doses at 0.25mg per dose.  Given it's probably 2 doses to be effective, that's essentially $4.50 per use. 

I'll have to see about other, less local pharmacies to see if I can get the capsule form, especially if that can be brought down to $1-2 per dose.
2012 ORC 5th Place

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon

YMMV on this whole thing. It seems like Insayn's deal is pretty good as well if you're wanting to go the more legit route.

https://ebay.us/2vNrne

Thanks.  I'll check them tonight.
2012 ORC 5th Place

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Found a pharmacy in Bellingham that will do it.  BUT.  It's a special order item, so I'd have to buy, up front, 100 pills.  At $140 to do so, that is a bit much.  Unless another guy or 3 (with a valid prescription) wants to go in with me I'm not sure I can do that.
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Mine is Pacific Compouds Pharmacy.  They used to be local to me in Hillsboro then moved to Portland, so they ship to me. Pretty painless.

https://www.pacificcompounds.com/

Did you look at Makers Compounding Pharmacy & Hallmark, is this your local one?
http://makerscompounding.com/

Looks like there are several more between Seattle and Olympia to choose from as well.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Mine is Pacific Compouds Pharmacy.  They used to be local to me in Hillsboro then moved to Portland, so they ship to me. Pretty painless.

https://www.pacificcompounds.com/

Did you look at Makers Compounding Pharmacy & Hallmark, is this your local one?
http://makerscompounding.com/

Looks like there are several more between Seattle and Olympia to choose from as well.

Makers will do the cream, not the capsules.

If your pharmacy will do smaller quantities and ship I might go with them.
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
You shouldn't have any problem getting 30 caps per fill from Pacific Compounds. 

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I asked for this in the past from a kaiser doctor and i was denied.  Now that i am off kaiser i will try a new doctor.  Hoping Zoomcare may have someone willing to offer it.  In the past i have used a combination of Dramamine and Bovine but have wanted to use Scopace.  Just have to get a doctor who is not scared about the way scopace can be abused
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon

Initial quote was $70 plus shipping for 30 caps.   :o

What did you pay last time?
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Initial quote was $70 plus shipping for 30 caps.   :o

What did you pay last time?

I don't remember exactly, but not that much.  :o

anything