Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Squid fishing  (Read 2431 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Got to watching YouTube for some squid fishing Oregon doesn't seem to have a fishery due to lack of marinas/piers with deep water around them.  However, Washington's Puget Sound obviously comes to mind as the PS is deep just about everywhere, and there are many many docks, piers, and marinas around the deep water, thus the reasonable squid fishery.   

So, it gets me thinking.  (I know, I know...I'll hurt myself doing this)

A trip to the PS for a few overnighters in the late fall/winter months could get me into some squid from the docks or piers for sure, but how about from kayak?  Is this a thing up there?  Can a guy launch from a nearby beach, boat ramp, and tour over near a dock/pier and jig away?  Maybe soak a waterproof LED flood light or two? 

Now, here's another idea and one that might show up on the scale of 1 to stupid. 
Launch from Depoe Bay into the darkness (or moonlight) on as calm of ocean as possible via a Hobie Island/Tandem Island.  Cruise out to the 100ft deep hole between the north and south reefs, aim some waterproof floods straight down and jig for squid right there.  Clearly, this would require me to be off to one side or the other to avoid being in the center of the channel and potential boat traffic (if there would be any at night).

Doable?   ???

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Now, here's another idea and one that might show up on the scale of 1 to stupid. 
Launch from Depoe Bay into the darkness (or moonlight) on as calm of ocean as possible via a Hobie Island/Tandem Island.  Cruise out to the 100ft deep hole between the north and south reefs, aim some waterproof floods straight down and jig for squid right there.

You've earned your pseudonym with this one.   :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:56:05 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
The Squid were everywhere at Pacific City last summer.  I would be interested in joining you to try Oregon squiding.  Needs to be an ankle slapper day for night time and lots of lights lol.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Sounds doable...and intense/crazy/possibly lots of fun.
Dave

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
A trip to the PS for a few overnighters in the late fall/winter months could get me into some squid from the docks or piers for sure, but how about from kayak?  Is this a thing up there?  Can a guy launch from a nearby beach, boat ramp, and tour over near a dock/pier and jig away?  Maybe soak a waterproof LED flood light or two? 
Doable?   ???
Seacrest Park,  Elliott Bay (westside).   There used to be a lot of squid there at certain times.   Kayak launching north at the Armeni boat ramp.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Market squid is in Puget Sound year-round. The best months to target them are Sep-Jan. During these months, the mature ones migrate to the shallow waters to reproduce. This happens during the dark hours in about 20-60ft depth. During the day they will migrate to deeper water...about 100-200+ft.

From kayak:

From pier:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:09:52 PM by Pixster »

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I live in West Seattle and usually do a lot of squidding from piers (Seacrest) Oct-Feb. This last year was unusually slow, all the regulars were bummed and most threw in the towel mid-season.

When it is on it’s epic fun, madness even. Boats are often just off the pier with lights at Seacrest, haven’t seen kayakers do it yet at night but I was planning to go this winter until it wasn’t really happening. I have caught a lot of squid jigging during the day for blackmouth, usually point Wilson darts near the bottom.

There’s a website www.squidfishingwa.com that has a “catch reports” section that most years is very active. The site also has some good basic videos etc.

Hitting a school of squid is nuts, and some nights the bite is on for hours. Other times you are jigging without a bite for hours, but it’s still enjoyable and nice to be on/by the water. Good luck and have fun!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I may have to revive this thread closer to fall/winter and see if there is anyone going out, and make a drive up to join.  8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I may have to revive this thread closer to fall/winter and see if there is anyone going out, and make a drive up to join.  8)

Timing can fluctuate, but Nov & Dec have been the best/peak months. Feel free to ping me during those months.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Timing can fluctuate, but Nov & Dec have been the best/peak months. Feel free to ping me during those months.

Will do!  :occasion14:

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Pixster, I grabbed a frame from your video ... post something like this to the WDFW picture thread!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
You'll need LED waterproof lighting.

http://hydroglow.com/

I've squidfished off the Edmonds Dock in Puget Sound. It was the worst combat fishing I've ever encountered--elbow to elbow, tangled lines, bad tempers.

This is what the dock looked like.
https://www.squidfishingwa.com/

I love the squid, but cleaning them is a bitc*. It's that damned spine and skinning them.

demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

anything