Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Use of a weight release in Washington  (Read 2452 times)

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Hi Folks,

Being new here, and reading the WA DFW pamphlet, I am not sure if I understand if it is permissible or not to use a weight release when salmon trolling or not.   I know dropping 28-48 ounces of lead to the bottom doesn't sit well with many people and I understand if it isn't allowed. I saw the article and image of the set up for trolling with the weight 12 inches behind the bait/lure. So how do you fish with a planning board, or other device if you need to go deep?  I don't run foul of any game wardens in regards to this.

Thanks
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I saw the article and image of the set up for trolling with the weight 12 inches behind the bait/lure.

Welcome to the PNW.  I hope you've already changed your license plates. ;D

I'm having trouble visualising this.  Do you have a link to the article?

In any case a downrigger is probably the way to go.  Besides the environmental and legal concerns, dropping 28-48 ounces of lead to the bottom every time you hook a fish would get expensive quickly. 

Behind a planer board you could go with a deep diving plug, dipsy, or jet diver. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:09:52 AM by snopro »

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Got that done in the first month, never was an easier transfer done in my life!

That said I have attached some basic images of a "Dog Whistle" set up. When the fish hits the bait/lure, it creates enough tension that it pulls on the wire inside the release which opens enough to "release" the weight. The weight falls, and the fish basically self hooks itself, as the preload on the rod is no longer there.

There are different types of releases, and different ways of setting up trolling with weight.  A method I prefer over using a down rigger on a paddle kayak. 
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Here are some other forms of weight release, or methods of trolling with a weight:

I will of course reach out to WA DFW, and get their thoughts on this, but I wanted to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum to see what their real world experience was.

Thanks for the assistance.

K
aka Kevin

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks for the images, I know what a weight release is and their use.  The part I was trying to understand, " the weight 12 inches behind the bait/lure".  From the images it looks like it is actually in front which now makes sense.

In freshwater most people just clip the weight directly to a slider in front of the bumper if using a skateboard style flasher, or suspend the weight under the slider using a dropper line if fishing a triangle style flasher.  When you fight the fish the weight stays attached.  Most used weights would be in the 8-16oz range.

If you want to hit 50' or deeper fishing flashers in the salt I think a downrigger is the way to go.  If you really want to use a weight release system think about making your own release weights out of rocks to save money.

In any case it would be a rare occurance to run across anyone using a weight release system up here. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Start with 8 oz drop weight on a slider then to your flasher then a shock absorber (mono) to your bait leader, once you see your pole start to bend, peddle or paddle faster WITHOUT touching your pole till the fish is starting to pull on your drag and taking line.... fish on its bay difficult to real and net a salmon with the weight still attached to the line. Not sure what the concept behind dropping the weight is except one of the big lead mfgrs made it to a increase sales of there weights.  :spittake:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
It falls under Page 12 Anti-snagging rules:

Weight may not be attached below or less than 12 inches above the lure or bait.  IMHO this is kind of vague.

aka Kevin

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Nothing vague about it.  It says the weight must be ABOVE the lure/bait/whatever by AT LEAST 12 inches.

I see no disadvantage to using a downrigger in this situation.  You might want to explain your reluctance a little more thoroughly so we can understand it.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Regarding your question of using a weight release and dropping lead weights, I highly suggest you contacting fishregs@dfw.wa.gov to get an official answer.

So how do you fish with a planning board, or other device if you need to go deep?  I don't run foul of any game wardens in regards to this.

Thanks

What species do you plan on targeting? What body of water (Puget Sound, river, lake)?

"Anti-snagging rules" are generally applied to rivers (iirc).

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Species I have had experience with : King Salmon

My reluctance to down riggers: the bigger you are, the longer the paddle you end up using, and anything hanging off the side is going to be in the way of your stroke.  So that leads to having any device like that behind me, which doesn't lend it self to being convenient to trying to retrieve it and then fight and land the fish , not get off balance. That may be my "uncoordinated self", but I am not thrilled with the concept.   I also have learned over time, less is more for me, and try not to carry the kitchen sink with me, and just the bare essentials. 

I have tried using DD6's with various degrees of success, but was limited as to how far down I could get to something. Anything below 45-60 feet depending on current becomes more challenging and seems to force you to paddle faster to keep it and a lower depth.  That tends to push you out of the trolling speed that you would ideally want. 

As the depth that trolling occurs in Puget Sound (live and work in Bremerton), seems to vary on conditions, some seem to be going to depths well outside of what I can do with a DD6(based on what I have read off of various sites). This made me think of the release and what we used down south on both charter boats and kayaks.   I hope that helps clarify my thoughts on why a release would be something I would look at if legal.  If not, I will send my stuff back south to my NCKA buddies and let them get use out of them. 

aka Kevin

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Squidder, what about using your weight releases gear, but make up some sinkers of rocks instead of lead?  I’ve seen a number of these on YouTube and Pinterest, and making them doesn’t look too bad...  A diamond drill bit, some wire and epoxy, and Bob’s yer uncle...

Hell, I’m retired and got the stuff, and I’m in Gig Harbor nearby, so might be a fun project.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Try watching this and see if you can adapt the technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJE0HsiCRDk&feature=youtu.be.  If works with paper-mouthed kokanee, it could be effective for salmon.

It's also here: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=20040.msg212466;topicseen#msg212466
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:50:41 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
   I hope that helps clarify my thoughts on why a release would be something I would look at if legal.  If not, I will send my stuff back south to my NCKA buddies and let them get use out of them.

Wait a second this is LEGAL in California?!?!?! :o

The state that had to have its own warning on labels...... “ Has been none to cause cancer in lab rats in the state of California” or some shit like that....... the state where you can’t use lead ammunition?? WTF maybe “The state of California is known to cause stupidity in politics” should have to be on labels as well?!?!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
So how do you fish with a planning board, or other device if you need to go deep?

The waters that I target king salmon and how:
  • Strait of Juan de Fuca - troll with deep six diver or cannon ball weight down to 40-50ft. Jig or mooch in deeper depths.
  • Puget Sound - Jig or mooch.
  • Rivers - troll with no weight up to about 12-16oz cannon ball weight depending on lure/bait and river.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
   I hope that helps clarify my thoughts on why a release would be something I would look at if legal.  If not, I will send my stuff back south to my NCKA buddies and let them get use out of them.

Wait a second this is LEGAL in California?!?!?! :o

The state that had to have its own warning on labels...... “ Has been none to cause cancer in lab rats in the state of California” or some shit like that....... the state where you can’t use lead ammunition?? WTF maybe “The state of California is known to cause stupidity in politics” should have to be on labels as well?!?!

Trust me they are working it so that lead will be banned.  You can't hunt with it, can hardly use it at a range, give it a year or two and it will also be a thing of the past.

Nothing in CA will surprise me.  There will be a time when being a straight male in CA will be banned...lol
aka Kevin