Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Transducer Proximity to Mirage Drive  (Read 5506 times)

koboabe

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
So... I think I have a unique question, at least one I cannot find the answer for on this or other boards.

I recently picked up a new 2014 Revo, and a new Raymarine Dragonfly depth-finder.
after much research I believe I cannot shoot this signal thru the hull, even if my hull is made from polyethylene.

I have decided that I will be installing GT90s on the gunwales of my boat.
my plan is to use a section of starboard, attached to the rails with mightybolts.
to this starboard I would attach the Dragonfly head unit, RAM 1" ball to RAM Transducer Arm mount with the cables all neatly tucked on the underside of the board.

my question is about distance to the mirage drive.

if my transducer were slightly aft of the drive, but off the side of the boat, would I see interference?

I can always mount the RAM TDA behind my seat, but I would like to keep it contained on the same board similar to this product
http://madfroggear.com/sideboard/sideboard.html
this would allow me to move it (minus power) between kayaks with ease.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The 2014 Revolution is supposed to have a pocket in the bottom for a transducer, and is supposed to be all set up with waterproof wiring arrangements for fish finders.  Why can't you mount the Raymarine Dragonfly transducer in the pocket?

I have just ordered a 2014 Revolution.  I could have bought a 2013 Revolution for a lot lower price, but after wrestling with the options for mounting a transducer on the 2013 Revolution (shooting through the hull, Lowrance scupper mount, or the Ram transducer arm or similar arms from other companies), I decided that the transducer pocket was the easiest and most effective way to mount a transducer, and I would avoid the costs, inconvenience, and/or technical problems associated with the other ways of mounting a transducer.

In particular, I decided that the transducer arm would be a hassle.  It would be hanging over the side of the kayak, it could catch on things, I'd need to swing it up out of the way when pulling into shore, and it would be one more thing to put on and take off my kayak every day.  The advantage of putting the transducer in the pocket is that once you mount it, you should never need to mess with it again, and you shouldn't need to worry about it when beaching your kayak or dragging it along the ground.

On the other hand, mounting the transducer permanently in the pocket wouldn't work with your goal of being able to move the entire fish finder setup easily between different kayaks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:50:45 AM by pmmpete »

koboabe

• Rockfish
So... I made the same decision; in hindsight the 2013 would have been just fine.
O well.

Sadly I cannot use the Lowrance ready plate as the transducer is too wide and too long (8")

I have thought about gluing it into the scupper (idea from a Cuda install on many kayak fishing forums)
I think the TDA is my best bet... unless the TDA needs to be behind my seat.
May have to ditch the idea that this will not be a permanent install.

I am committed to installing a 12v power quick release (2 pin trailer harness or cigarette lighter marine plug) maybe I should  just install the TDA on a trac near the rear well and route cables thru hull.
I could still remove the head unit, but the transducer would be pretty much stuck to the side of my kayak even when not in use, so I guess that isn't really an option.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Why can't you mount the Raymarine transducer inside the hull?  I'd try it there first and check the performance first hand.  MUCH less hassle than a wand.  I started with a wand years ago.  You WILL forget to pull it up and you will forget often.

Have you read the "Foam puck and water transducer installation" sticky thread? 

There is another GREAT thread on power supplies and wiring.  Search for "blue brick".
When in the water my Humminbird will read the bottom to over 800 feet.  Inside the hull it fades after 500 feet.  Good enough.  It's not like I'm dropping a line to structure at 500 feet.

Typical transducer cone is 60 degrees, but I have no idea about this particular unit and technology. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I recently picked up a new 2014 Revo, and a new Raymarine Dragonfly depth-finder.
after much research I believe I cannot shoot this signal thru the hull, even if my hull is made from polyethylene.

Curious, why can't you shoot through the hull?

-Allen

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

-Allen

Doesn't read KFM  ;)

Sent from my GD300

koboabe

• Rockfish
You guys have convinced me to at least try to shoot thru the hull... I called Raymarine and they told me it would not work. I also read on a few forums, where a number of folks tried with limited to no success to get it working in a thru-hull configuration.

It's easy enough to test the water/puck method...

I was reading thru the Blue Battery thread earlier this week, but sadly I already own a sealed brick.
I may decide to upgrade the battery soon.

koboabe

• Rockfish

-Allen

Doesn't read KFM  ;)

Sent from my GD300

I do not read KFM
it is embarrassing, I know
if there an issue I should take a look at?
maybe one with thru hull down-imaging info?

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Doesn't read KFM  ;)

Sent from my GD300

I do not read KFM
it is embarrassing, I know
if there an issue I should take a look at?
maybe one with thru hull down-imaging info?

From just last week ... http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/139-kayak-fishing-how-to-articles/1822-down-scan-imaging-down-imaging-shoot-through-demystified.html

-Allen

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Unfortunately, the article does not describe the in-hull mounting technique. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Unfortunately, the article does not describe the in-hull mounting technique.

That's because it doesn't actually matter that much, but you're right, it would have been good to talk about it.  The difference between a water bath, goop, or grease based are negligible as it is the poly material of the kayak that has the greatest effect.

-Allen

anything