Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie PA12 review  (Read 9349 times)

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
inside the sunken jetty.....Yeah, still not the same as rolling up on the beach and going for it I guess.

Indeed. Playing in the little stuff is fun and good practice don't get me wrong its just not the same as being punching through rows of breakers.

I look forward to that PA surfing video!

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I look forward to that PA surfing video!
No need to wait!

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

micahgee

• Sturgeon
Hilarious! Huli's galore! That wasn't exactly large surf either.

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Love it---way to show how it's done...........
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

micahgee

• Sturgeon

or not done!

www.heroesonthewater.org

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

or not done!

micahgee--I know that you were grinning when you saw that vid.I know I was.........bring on part 2.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Maiden voyage on my PA12 in fl yesterday. It's quite a craft! Gonna take some adjusting from fishing off my Adventure down here. Polar opposites.

I'll expand on this a little later...initial thoughts...
(note that I have no experience with the PA14 and am unaware of the similarities and differences. Also, I am a man and therefore have not read the owner's manual)

Lot of stand-and-fish down here, and this boat is perfect. And, with the high seat it's soooo easy to go from sitting to standing and back again. For me, this alone is worth the price. And that seat, deeeam. Luxurious!!

But even from sitting, you're high up enough to be able to give yer baits effective twitchy action.  and hooksets are far easier with light tackle than they'd be in my addy (at the waterline). And it's quite nice how stable everything is in every position. Low seat, hi seat, standing. I never had that "bout to fall in" feeling when standing.

Two things I did notice...

it spins out very easily. This is probably due to lack of a decent keel. Yah, beach launches and landings are going to be trickier for sure.

The rudder is a little short IMO. They may have a good reason to have a shorter rudder that I am not aware of... But being used to the sailing rudder on the addy, turning in this beast is just a bigger deal. Requires more room, even tho it's shorter.

Also, there may be a fix for this...but I had to keep my hand on the rudder control at all times while pedaling, or it spins out. This is different from the other hobies I've had where you can set your course and take your hand off the rudder, only making small adjustments from time to time. PA rudder is very smooth, but I could use a touch more friction to keep it in place. Maybe I should read the manual!

All in all a great first experience. I'll be taking it into the gulf soon and will report back on that.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Lot of stand-and-fish down here, and this boat is perfect. And, with the high seat it's soooo easy to go from sitting to standing and back again. For me, this alone is worth the price. And that seat, deeeam. Luxurious!!

Sorry, I must have missed it, but where is "down here"?  Plan to use it on fresh, inland, and/or ocean waters?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

Sorry, I must have missed it, but where is "down here"?  Plan to use it on fresh, inland, and/or ocean waters?

Florida, gulf coast side if if memory serves

Rory

• Sturgeon

Florida, gulf coast side if if memory serves

Yah, florida gulf. Storm finally let up so imma storm these waters in my PA.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y0ze2m
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Thanks for the notes Rory. You just about kayak fish more than anyone else I know so should be good.
2010 Angler Of The Year

redfred

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Lee,
how does the pa12 stack up against the ob, on glide and open water
thanks,
redfred
redfred

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Lee,
how does the pa12 stack up against the ob, on glide and open water
thanks,
redfred
The PA12 has a ton more glide. I had an OB for about 4 years and thought it pushed a lot of water comparatively. Rory has maybe the best POV because he's been using the OB for a few years and now has been using the PA12 quite a bit. Rory, what's the word?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:46:01 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

Rory

• Sturgeon
Hard to compare. But I'd say the PA12 moves faster thru the water despite being heavier. Not sure how they figured that out, but it's an engineering miracle!  I bet you could sustain at least .5 mph more on the PA12 using the same amount of energy (vs OB)

I have been spending nearly every day on my PA12 down here in FL, and have gotten to know it very well. Will be interesting to go back home and get in the outback next week. (I am soooo looking forward to getting some dungies)

Anyway, rambling. I am mentally arranging my thoughts on the PA. I will hopefully get that post together soon.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
A little testimonial to the stability of the PA 12. There was a south swell and the wind was from the south, so we sought some shelter on the north side of GP in DB. It was a much rougher day than it appears in these photos. Small craft advisories were in effect and the DB bar was restricted to >18'. I was impressed. 

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy