Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Poll

What date should the AK YAK Classic be held in 2017?

June 24
14 (77.8%)
July 8
3 (16.7%)
Aug 5
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: May 29, 2017, 09:13:53 AM

Topic: Let's Pick dates for the 5th annual NWKA AK Yak Classic!!!  (Read 3436 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Obviously I am open to other dates with the caveat that it has to be June 24th or after.  I also am trying to avoid the peak sockeye/King Salmon run on the Peninsula.  It will be one day for Halibut @ Whiskey Gulch.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
June 24 would be perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I'll have to check the work schedule. 24th would be good for me too I think.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
It was absolutely flat today

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I voted for the 24th because that is the weekend I consider my summer break will start. In reality though, any of those days work for me. It does seem that we tend to have more fish in close earlier in the summer.

July 8 might give me a an unfair advantage as I might catch a birthday fish. (The biggest fish I ever landed while chartering happened on my birthday.) 

Come to think of it, I'll take any advantage I can get...unfair or not ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:27:22 PM by easyyakker »

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
A beach bum limited on two chickens with his surf rod from the beach at the mouth of the Kenai yesterday morning in front of the sewer plant. Then last night a guy pulled a 55 pound halibut out of the evening high tide on the north beach.

I'm swinging through Kenai today to check for hooligan netters and see what the city dock ramp looks like. Might have to stop by the beach and see if anyone is fishing. That is all easily doable for a kayak too.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Thanks KK!
I'll have to check the evening high tide for this Saturday and time my return from Homer/WG so I hit the Kenai Beach about an hour before high tide (assuming I don't already have a Flatfish limit for the day).  Do you have a preference for kayak launch spots at the mouth? Any beach access would work but parking closer to the water is always more convenient... 

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
The North beach has a massive parking lot. And a gap through the sand dunes for vehicle access right on to the beach. No motor vehicles allowed to the left towards the river mouth but wide open for everything going North or straight out from the gap where a lot of guys fish.

The Kenai city dock ramp is free to launch except during dipnet season. But that is a mile+ to the mouth and the tides would be a major factor. No bait fishing allowed inside the line at the mouth dividing saltwater from freshwater. From the Nav light tower to the opposite side.

Access and launching from the South beach is where the dippers drive down to fish. Also free access until dipnet season and on that side you can drive all the way to the river mouth to launch. Or just straight out from the access point. You can Google Earth the areas for a birds eye view.

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I'll definitely conduct a satellite recon of both parking areas. Once again the information provided exceeds all expectations! Thank you!

Jonathan

jsfishndreams

• Herring
So i heard you are not allowed to boat within a mile or two of the mouth of the kenai.  Anyone know if this is true or does it not apply to unpowered boats? I tried from the surf there last monday and only one butt was caught, but the guy i went with had already pulled 3 out this year.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
So i heard you are not allowed to boat within a mile or two of the mouth of the kenai.  Anyone know if this is true or does it not apply to unpowered boats? I tried from the surf there last monday and only one butt was caught, but the guy i went with had already pulled 3 out this year.

I would need to verify, but I can't see any chance it would be closed to boating.  Maybe closed to fishing...which I still doubt but that's a port with commercial and recreational traffic.  KK?

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal

I would need to verify, but I can't see any chance it would be closed to boating.  Maybe closed to fishing...which I still doubt but that's a port with commercial and recreational traffic.  KK?

Rudy, I've spoiled you!  :D

jsfishdreams - I'd venture to say that your source is confusing the king salmon management Zones along the lower Kenai Peninsula streams and probably hasn't read the new regs, especially now that BOF has made some new changes to that management plan. PAGE 71 has all the details. So for all other streams except Ninilchik, Deep, Stariski, Anchor, there are no restrictions for fishing, boating, etc. offshore from the mouth.

Stopped by the Kenai beach last night, here are a couple of snaps of halibut anglers working the incoming tide on the dipping beach along with a Willey Predator and lone angler just dropping anchor 1/4 mile out from the saltwater line at the mouth to try his luck for halibut too.

Rudy and clan, as you can see this seasonal opportunity may give rise to the Kayak Crowd coming up with a great Springtime Kickoff Competition for halibut right here in Kenai. Much closer for Valley and Anchorage folks to reach too. And does have potential for some good catches at this time. I've seen 75 lb. fish in an oldtimer's boat at the ramp...and all he ever used out there was....get this....cheap greasy hot dogs on a J hook. Swear to God. He opened his bait cooler and it was filled with 99¢ Bar S hot dogs. He discovered that secret one day when he ran out of bait. He also went out on a falling tide and fished through low water until the ramp had enough water to pull out...just when others were launching. Wish I had a photo of that guy's boat covered in slime and blood with a 75 lb. tail sticking out of his fish box.

Later in the year, in August the offshore area is "plagued" with dogfish sharks which at one time were commercially marketed for human consumption in Europe until the east coast wiped them out. We might consider a Shark Fishing Classic to fill the void then. Maybe even a 2 day event of sharks one day, silvers in the tidewater of the Kenai on the next since the Kenai provides some great and easy kayak fishing from the mouth to above Bluff Hole. Just some thoughts about developing future activities and events to encourage participation and get more newcomers to get on board.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Bump...for those on tapatalk, there is a poll at the top that I can't see off my smartphone. Will decide in the next week so get your say in!! 

Thanks KK!  Yah, for info on the Kenai Peninsula you spoil us, why guess when I know you know!  lol. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
POLL is visible in my browser on my Tablet when not using Tapatalk. Since I have not installed the app I don't know if once its running on your mobile if you can close it and just browse normally. That way you can see and participate in the poll.

Korean Angler

• Herring
Voted for 6/23 but can not make it 7/8th would be better.
Thanks.

anything