Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Whiskey Gulch May 21  (Read 2673 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ryu and I head out to Whiskey Gulch looking for Kings.  Didn't happen.  Bummer. 

The day I guess would have to be classified as a good day still.  We launched at about High tide and pedaled our way to the South Stariski Creek Closure line.  About that time Ryu's Gopro runs out of battery so we decide to switch to halibut gear so we can drift around and get new batteries and SD cards into his gopro.  We lower our halibut gear and instantly both of us are hooked up to Halibut.  My gopro of course was flashing SD card error...ARGH.

We managed to land what I guess to be about 40 pound and 25 pound fish.  Ryu puts on a smaller jig and immediately lands a 10 pounder that he released.  We continued to troll for kings with no luck.

The halibut we have been catching, even the super small ones have been ultra healthy so far this year.  They look "rounder" than the halibut from years past and the meat has been super good with zero chalkiness or mushy halibut. 

The 40 pounder had over 24 crabs in its stomach.  We didn't open up the 25 pounder but you could tell it was loaded with crab as well.  Obviously fish digest faster than crab shell, but I was surprised to not find any evidence of herring or hooligan in the stomach of the larger fish. 

Too bad about the failed gopro, I was using a Daiwa Single Action mooching reel on a Daiwa Saltist Jigging rod which made for a fun battle.  I will say, I now know why I don't use spinning reels.  It's a pain in the back end to deal with a reel below your rod when on a kayak.  Especially while jigging.  Still, I think I am going to use this setup when fishing under 100 ft of water.  The large arbor on the reel makes line pick up not too bad.  Lots of fun, though I am one day going to be unhappy when I lose a knuckle or two on a big fish.   As far as the gopro goes, I am going to rig up a system where I can hard wire power to Ryu's camera.  Then with a larger SD card, I will just delete video segments that have nothing on them using my phone. 

Though a little light I think for halibut, Ryu's Daiwa Lexa 300 line counter reel performed flawlessly on his Daiwa Saltiga jig stick. 

So we didn't catch what we were targeting, but the bycatch was pretty dang good.  lol.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:29:58 AM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Looks like a great day. I like your doing, looking for fun tackle, with your rods/reels. I've been looking to change up my halibut gear. I like using the lite tackle. I think we may all be surprised at the size of halibut we could bring up with liter tackle, especially on the kayaks. Think about some of the big fish caught on salmon tackle. I really think anything over 60 lb. braid is overkill for what we do. We're in lot different situation than being in an anchored boat where we need to pull the fish to us.

Looking forward to getting out there with the Tupperware Navy.

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
The halibut bite picked up right when you guys passed though. Glad to see you guys pick up some too. We kept 2 decent ones. I fried some up at home last night. Nothing better than fresh hali

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Great to see everyone out on the water this weekend! I had a great time and brought back a few small ones for the table...as a matter a fact, Halibut for lunch today!

P.S. I appreciated the help at WG on fish identification!

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Great to see everyone out on the water this weekend! I had a great time and brought back a few small ones for the table...as a matter a fact, Halibut for lunch today!

P.S. I appreciated the help at WG on fish identification!

Looks like the Slayer worked well for you!
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
[/quote]

Lacks the in-kayak storage of my Ocean Kayak Big Game II but more than makes up for it in increased trolling ability...was able to stay on the water for about 8 hours yesterday...I'm learning to leave extra gear in the truck and just go back to it for breaks...easier to accomplish in Homer than at WG....even on a small tide day!

Only issue I'll have to find a solution for is the raw spot develops on my backside from peddling...hard to sit up straight when peddling hard but the result of slouching forward is a blistered butt!

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015

Lacks the in-kayak storage of my Ocean Kayak Big Game II but more than makes up for it in increased trolling ability...was able to stay on the water for about 8 hours yesterday...I'm learning to leave extra gear in the truck and just go back to it for breaks...easier to accomplish in Homer than at WG....even on a small tide day!

Only issue I'll have to find a solution for is the raw spot develops on my backside from peddling...hard to sit up straight when peddling hard but the result of slouching forward is a blistered butt!
[/quote]

I would like a little more storage, but for me, being in the kayak is a minimalist approach to fishing in the first place - the less crap on board, the better.  I've not encountered backside issues from long periods of pedaling.  I lean my seat back a bit for a more comfortable pedaling angle.  Only issue I have is the seat of my drysuit is slick so my arse tends to slide forward. 
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Very well done fellas! I'm missing it already. Hey Rudy, did you ever try those crab jigs I saw you'd built awhile back? Be interesting to see them work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Nice work guys! That's great news about the fish quality. Seems like that anomaly has passed for the most part.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Very well done fellas! I'm missing it already. Hey Rudy, did you ever try those crab jigs I saw you'd built awhile back? Be interesting to see them work.

I need to break them out.  Havent trued them lately.  Have yet to cstch one on them but I know they will work.  Itd be awesome to catch a bonus octopus!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com