Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:10:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Photobucket has stopped providing free 3rd party image hosting!!!  (Read 3025 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
For several years I have used Photobucket to provide third party image hosting for pictures I post on this forum and other forums.  In other words, when I wanted a picture to appear in a posting, I uploaded the picture to Photobucket, and then inserted Photobucket's IMG code for that picture into the posting.  When the posting is viewed, the picture appears where the IMG code is located. 

Today I went to respond to a thread I had posted in earlier, and discovered that instead of a picture, my prior posting contained a notice from Facebook stating "Please update your account to enable third party hosting."  I went to Photobucket, and discovered that as of June 29, unless you pay $399.99 per year, you don't get third party image hosting from Photobucket.  WTF!!!  I am definitely not going to pay that kind of money for third party image hosting.  This means that all of the posts which I have made over the years no longer contain pictures, and in order to post pictures in the future, I need to find a new webpage which provides third party image hosting.

What webpages are other people using which provide third party image hosting?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:02:00 AM by pmmpete »

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hey Pete,
That's certainly a kick in the _____!!! Flickr is a pretty decent photo sharing site a'la photobucket. It allows you to create an account so you can manage the photos in folders, it also has a pretty decent mobile app as well...

Further if it's just a simple share IMGUR is a great site for simple upload and share, although I don't think it's great for managing photos for pulling at a later time and adding to multiple sites, more just a one time upload, share, and forget about it.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I am in the same boat. I did not know this until I read your post and I am not happy about it.

At one point I was a premium user because I had a couple very popular picture intensive project threads on another forum. I assume those are all broken now. Great.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I have used deviantart.com for my pics.  It's not as convenient an interface as many, but it's adequate, even with their free accounts.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Wow...what a bummer. 

I used to use Picasa but then Google took it over and without the ".jpg" extensions, I can't seem to use it. 

Then I went with imgur but now can't seem to link it very well from the mobile app.

So to make a long story short, I use tapatalk when i am on mobile and Imgur as a desktop application for sharing. 

I am not sure at all though if what I am doing is optimal.  I doubt it.  I am very curious to hear other people's perspective on this.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
It sucks.  I just switched to Flickr and canceled my photobucket.
Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
That is unfortunate - so many blogs, forums, etc have been built/contributed to, relying on image hosting that people have thought could be a permanent solution.  I've never used photobucket, but know many have - and many more will lose out when they go to detailed posts with broken image links that will now be lost to time.

I've been using Google picasaweb/photos for a number of years now, and always wonder when the magic that holds together the random links and points them at the photos that I've shared in this manor will go away.  Hey, with Google, ya never know!

I used to use Picasa but then Google took it over and without the ".jpg" extensions, I can't seem to use it. 

Even with Google Photos, and the right incantations through their sharing mechanism, it is still very possible to create publicly viewable links that work just fine with forum img tags.  Hint:  for the .jpg issue, you should/may be able to append "?.jpg" to the image path, both tricking the forum software into accepting and building the proper img tag, while also working with the way Google resolves their image links.

Like Kardinal, I will often use tapatalk if I'm posting from mobile.  I will continue to use Google Photos as long as they maintain support for their links to our shared images.

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Youtube has an option for a slideshow. I don't know how flexible it is but you can stop the slideshow and view individual slides one at a time by scrolling through.

This is a project I uploaded to Youtube.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:57:26 PM by Idaho Brit »
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I use google photos. Unlimited storage, great tools to manage photos. You can choose photos and albums to make publicly share-able via a link as well.

I really like it as a tool to manage and share my photos. Here is a review of the service:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/9/15762170/google-photos-how-to-master

https://www.theverge.com/a/sundars-google/google-photos-google-io-2015

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I felt like that was only a matter of time with photobucket.  Not sure why I got that feeling, but I stopped using it long ago as a result.

Imgur is a great image hosting site, but no one knows how long that site will be free.

Seems like there's another site that hosts images for free, but.... the Name escapes me at the moment... dang, What was the name of that site... it had the linKs easily generated when I needed to embed the imAges in forum posts too...
Dang, well, I guess I'll remember it eventually...

:D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Ha.....well done. ;D

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I use Flickr, for web sharing but normally use the tapatalk app when posting photos here. Sometimes I'll even write a post via website on my computer, then edit in tapatalk to add photos that are on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Some words of wisdom from my brother-in-law the computer geek and internet prowler:

"The photo message on Facebook is a Photobucket image replacing your photo link with their image.  I don't think Facebook cares.  See here: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/  I think Photobucket is hurting from bandwidth expenses and this is their 'solution', which may be fatal to them.

I found this site that lists 10 alternatives.   https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329 You would need to read the terms of each.  For example Image Shack's free account does not allow external links after the 30 day trial expires, and they conveniently did not mention the cost of the premium account.  Walk away.

While researching Google Photos, I discovered that photos from my Google Fi phone are already it their system.  I did not know they were uploading my photos automatically.  I don't want them doing that, so will need to figure out how to make them stop.  I would only want to upload photos if I select them to be uploads.  If you have any kind of Google account active on your phone it may be happening to you also.  Worth checking."

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:33:07 PM by pmmpete »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Here's a post I made back in 2011 (holy crap, were does the time go!?) that talks about using the NWKA Gallery to host images and insert them into posts. This may be helpful to those who will be changing the way they do things with pictures. Like I've mentioned in the post, feel free to use it as a test bed for embedding images.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=7004.0

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
At this point I am not going to do squat with regards to all my blocked PhotoBucket pictures I've used in Forums over the MANY MANY years.  Don't care.  Not worth my time to reupload most of it.

Maybe PB will see everyone ditching them for other free or cheap alternatives and in a final "Hail Mary" attempt to stay afloat they will come up with a better way to keep customers.  Maybe that will result in them just turning our pictures back on and all will be back to normal. 

If not, I will just move on with old/new pictures uploaded from my computer to wherever, as needed.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15