Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 07:59:18 PM]

[Today at 07:54:10 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Photobucket has stopped providing free 3rd party image hosting!!!  (Read 3020 times)

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I use Tapatalk whenever I am posting an image. They host it and make it seamless, easy. It also prevents your favorite small-time forum from having the storage expense.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I had been lurking on this site for a couple days.  Noticed that man of the posts you and others had want me to update my 3rd party...  I had assumed it was because I wasn't logged into the forum.  Logged in and nothing had changed.  Norw I see you post and $399?!? Whoa!  that's crazy!

Oddly enough, I found this forum because of a post you had made that had an image that I found on Google Images.  The photo is there but when you visit the page, there's no photo.  Anyhow, not a total loss... I found the forum because of one of your posts.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I suspect that Photobucket's business model wasn't working, and it was going broke trying to provide a lot of free services.  So it took the desperate measure of withdrawing its third party image hosting services, and demanding $399 per year to restore and continue that service.  However, the manner in which Photobucket chose to withdraw its third party image hosting services probably guaranties that it will fail, because every time somebody see an icon which says "Photobucket is no longer hosting this photograph," the viewer thinks "Wow, thanks for reminding me that I should never use Photobucket for anything."  Photobucket could have continued to host pictures which were downloaded to it in the past without charge, and only required payment to provide third party image hosting services with respect to future photographs, which would have been less damaging to its brand.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:10:11 AM by pmmpete »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I think you're right.  Every time I see that icon and especially when I'd bookmarked a page, it irritates me.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Yup, that would have made way more business sense. 

I can care less if they dry up an blow away as I have made sure I had a backup of all my photos I've ever uploaded on PB to my computer.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I use Smugmug.com. It is unlimited storage for $79/year.  After having a couple hard drives fail (at separate times) with all the family pictures on it (luckily most were recovered) we opted for Smugmug.  It is a great interface and if you want to share photos or video, you just need to send a link.  The person receiving it can download the photos at whatever resolution they choose.  This is really handy with multiple photos because you can send one gallery link.

anything