Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie mirage and hip problems?  (Read 5255 times)

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I have been peddling a hobie Revo with turbo find for the last three years, and over the last year getting out at least one a week. I have begun to have significant tension in my hips for days after being in the kayak.  I'm 44 and pretty athletic, but it has gotten to the point where I can hardly stand after 3 or 4 hours on the water.  I think it is a TFL ( tensor fasciae latae) issue.  I have done massage, stretching, chiropractic..... to little improvement.  When I use a paddle kayak, no issues.  I currently use a 2016 with the vantage seat. 

So...Has anyone else experienced this?  Solutions beyond abandoning the Hobie or the Mirage drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
My wife had a labral tear and some other hip issues that required surgery.  The doc said that motion to kick the pedals will likely never be a good fit for her.  I developed right hip bursitis after some excessive leg training and now it bothers me too, but not as bad as what you're describing.  The bursitis also manifested as low back pain and is much better after a cortisone injection. 

Pain is just weakness leaving the body, unless you were on the army, then it's probably arthritis ;-)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
The mirage drive also hurts my hip and knees after some time on the water. It feels like my right hip is getting jammed up in the socket. I haven't found a good solution. I try to stretch my legs while I'm on the water. I tried the Wilderness peddle drive and it hurt my hips in other places.
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

YAKalicious

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
You might try checking out Bowen Therapy if you have a person your area.  That was one of the few things that I found relief from a similar type of issue...  So much so I went and studied it.   I'd say over half the people I see are dealing with a similar hip and pelvic imbalances, and SI issues. Most have also had a hard time finding relief in different modalities..

reelmccoy

• Perch
Thanks for the input.  I'll check out the Bowen Therapy.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Another reason for me to keep on paddling.   ;D

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I have bad arthritis in my hip and the circle motion of the Native Propel actually makes it feel better as long as my seats in the right position.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I would talk to a doc, also consider doing yoga. There are a lot of yoga routines that open up the hips and get flexibility. I've got problematic knees and feet, so I don't have the same issues you're describing, but I've found that stretching my core and hips really helps when I'm sore after pedaling for 9 hours in a day.

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I've been having the same issue. Knees and hip. I was thinking about maybe going with a circular motion drive kayak. Was also thinking about the yoga as well, sounds like a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Try some cycling, it's great at building strength but is still low impact. I notice a huge difference in my hip pain (I did the below a bit about 10 years ago) between when I'm riding or not. You might also try a spin class if you don't already have a bike, or during the winter.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I enjoy long distance running and used to have severe hip pain when completing anything over 10 miles.  A lot of it had to do with my form when running.  My feet slightly bowed out which kept me knees from being diretly under my shoulders when running.  I have noticed the same thing that i tend to let my knees stay on the outside of my shoulders.  To mitigate this i adjusted the medals and wrapped a t shirt around my knees so they would stay no farther than shoulder width.  This helped eleviate the pain.  Just a thought.... try to focus on keeping your knees within your shoulder width when pedaling.

Hope it gets better
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

reelmccoy

• Perch
Thanks for the input all.  It's good to know I'm not the only Hobie user with drive associated pain.   

I found last weekend if I only use the pedals to counter wind or current, and paddle otherwise there is no pain the next day.  I think the TFL muscle stays engaged the entire time I'm on the boat since my feet tend to stay on the pedals even when I'm "parked".  This causes it to Lock up and so it won't release.  My chiropractor adjusted it last week and it has been better as well.

BigBore

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
I've been thinking of switching to a pedal drive this year but have hip issues myself. Last year around this time I had my left hip replaced because of arthritis. Has anyone been pedaling with a hip replacement? And how is it working. I'm only 54 and in my prime. I would hate to slow down on this sport.
NRS Pike Inflatable

Fishin8er

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I know in sports medicine people who do a lot of crunches to strengthen their core will have issues with the tfl not relaxing over time. Perhaps you are tightening your core in the same way when sitting up and pedaling. You could try changing the angle you are sitting at and try to rest your core more perhaps? Food for thought.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have had hip pain a few times after pedaling and each time it has been a case of "too much too soon". It is easy with these machines to head out and come back in after you start to feel it - by then it's too late. You have to build up, and also vary things. Even shifting foot position on the pedals from toes to arch to heel can make a big difference. No one is "correct" - the point is to vary the motion and stressers.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

anything