Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Please help, newbi kayak questions  (Read 5305 times)

Fishin8er

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Hi guys, I'm sorry to bother you all with a question you probably hear far too often, but I am having trouble finding a kayak that really "fits" what I am thinking would be ideal for me. I have done a lot of research but to no avail and so I am wondering if my ideal is not a very good ideal. Cost is not much of a factor for me. Firstly I am looking for a kayak that I can take to the coast and saltwater fish. Launch from la push and maybe some surf launches later on. I also like to do some bass and trout fishing and if I could stand when fishing lakes that would be great. I would like as much stability as possible. I also want something with a pedal drive so that I can fish hands free. I have heard that a good offshore kayak should be at the very least 13' long, and I am thinking something decent to stand in should be at least 32" wide. My thinking has been an ideal would be 14' long + and 32" + wide. Are those good figures to go by? The outback is only 12' but loads of guys love that boat offshore, the PA14 is well above those dimensions but most of what ive heard is that its not good offshore (not sure why, maybe because of surf launching?). I have not found many pedal drives that really fit what I am thinking. I have looked at the predator pdl, jacksons kayaks, the native boats, the raptor g2, wilderness ststems (the radar 135 does look nice), feelfree kayaks, and the hobies. I am even thinking maybe it would be good to get the hobie adventure island and use it with 1 ama or buy a paddle kayak and retrofil a mirage drive in it.. I guess I'm just not totally sure what makes a good offshore fishing kayak and why, is it length, width, hull shape, and in what proportions. You guys have the experience, what do you think/recommend???

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Native Slayer Propel, I stand on the wife's just fine in lakes and the bay, does great off shore. You want to drive down and take it for a test spin let me know.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:39:23 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Before any recommendations Fishin8er, let me ask here..... what kayaks have you tried on the water ? If you are doing all of your research on-line that's fine and good to find what might be a best fit in your mind. But the only way to know for sure is to get on the water and demo  as many boats as you feel necessary until you find the boat that fits you. Many  dealers will allow and  some even encourage a demo ride before purchase. So go get wet. Your boat is out there........you have to find what works for you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:08:13 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
I would, and will always recommend a hobie. Hands free fishing is a must IMO. That being said i recommend a outback or revo depending on your size, and experience. I started with a pro angler 14 think i would need it ( I'm 6'4 275), but soon realized the kayak was just way too big, and more a pain than it was worth. I sold that to a buddy, and demoed a revo 13 and outback. I ended up falling in love with the Revo, and bought it out of the shop. The revo can handle big guys with ease!

Also a side note i live 20 minutes out of La Push, and launch out of there 2-3 times per week. I make a trip up to hobuck every now and then, but the extra drive isnt worth it for me when we are pulling 40-50 fish out of La Push on a daily basis. When your geared up and ready to go feel free to message me, and you can join us sometime

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I own a Hobie and I like it just fine.  I own a Trident and I like it just as much.  I wouldn't part with either of them.

For a first kayak, I agree with what Mark said: don't rely on recommendations, but instead test a bunch of them until you find the one that fits.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:28:10 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
With Hobie, you also have the outrigger bananas that you can add to a Revo for your standing up fishing needs.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
With Hobie, you also have the outrigger bananas that you can add to a Revo for your standing up fishing needs.

The blow up bananas look stupid but they work as advertised. My Revo 16 is a little too narrow for good stand up fishing (stable enough with amas, but nowhere to stand), but an Outback can be stood in with calm water and good balance. Also accepts the blow up amas as far as I know.  Shorter boats (Outback, Revo 11) turn on a dime compared to my battleship. That doesn't affect me much in salt but it would be a negative for bass fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Sounds like you're looking for an AI or Revo with inflatable amas. I use 2 boats, a Revo 13 and a G2 raptor to cover all the situations you list, and I'm really happy with them. For all that in one kayak though I think it's the AI. I've never tried to stand up on one but it looks pretty stable. The G2 with a standup bar is my bass boat, and it's also a good skinny water and steelhead/salmon river boat. Revo for large lakes and ocean because it's a full knot faster than the G2.

Fishin8er

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Man, you all are great. That you for the advice and the wisdom. Mark is completely correct as I am greener than green when it comes to kayaks. I have spent a lot of time on the water in 12 foot aluminum boats and canoes but no time in kayaks. I am the type that will study something I'm into to get a good foundation and then jump in with two feet and never look back so I want to purchase a kayak that I will love right out the gate which will make it that much more enjoyable. Mojo, thank you much for the offer, it sounds like the slayer is a great yak. Thank you for the offer Jake, I can promise you I will be taking you up on that, you cant imagine how jealous I am that you are so close to la push and are fishing it so often, I love that area. My goal is to be ready to be on the water in spring. One reason for the delay is because I am not the strongest swimmer, at all. I can float on my back and swim to save my life, but I cant tread water in place without a pfd. So I have joined a community pool and am starting swimming lessons now to prepare. I know it is essential to practice re-entry in your kayak but how important is it to be a strong swimmer with a pfd on? It has never come up in all my life fishing because I've never even worried about going overboard. Do you all flip very often and are you all good swimmers? Sorry this is off topic, should I start a separate thread for a question like this? I have so many questions for you all I hope they don't seem too dumb.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I'm going to share the newb experience, this is my third season and much of it is still new learnings to me. The advice from the elders will vary, but this is where I am.

1. You cannot get a "good foundation" through study. The best you can get is a basic orientation that allows you to ask better questions and process some of the answers.

2. Don't be afraid to make a mistake purchase on your first boat. Consider the purchase price "tuition".

3. I was about to say that I've never ended up in the water except on purpose for practicing self-recovery. But last week I rolled a new-to-me-and-much-narrower-boat and ended up fully immersed. In 3' of water. While boarding. Because my own boat is so stable that I forgot to pay attention with the new one and didn't get away with putting my center of gravity over so far.

4. Always approach this assuming you will end up in the water. Don't fear it or be obsessed with fighting it. Embrace it. The alternative mindset leads to panic that leads to dead.

5. "Strong swimmer" ? I dunno what that means. Navy Seal strong ? No. Lifeguard strong ? No. Strong enough to stay afloat for a few hours without help ? Yep. Strong enough to swim to your boat in not-unreasonable current ? Yep. Strong enough to swim your boat to shore if you need to ? Yep. Strong enough to swim to shore without your boat if you need to ? Yep.

6. Standing while fishing. Yeah, whatever. I fish for bass pretty often and catch...well maybe not my share. Let's just say I catch enough to keep my interest. I have stood in my kayak, just to prove I could. I've never felt it was necessary for bass or any other type of fishing. YMMV. But here's the thing: you've not even been in a kayak yet, much less fished from one, much less fished for bass from one. Get some time with your butt in a boat before you decide you absolutely need something that to me, at least, is a very narrow specialty requirement.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'm going to share the newb experience, this is my third season and much of it is still new learnings to me. The advice from the elders will vary, but this is where I am.

1. You cannot get a "good foundation" through study. The best you can get is a basic orientation that allows you to ask better questions and process some of the answers.

2. Don't be afraid to make a mistake purchase on your first boat. Consider the purchase price "tuition".

3. I was about to say that I've never ended up in the water except on purpose for practicing self-recovery. But last week I rolled a new-to-me-and-much-narrower-boat and ended up fully immersed. In 3' of water. While boarding. Because my own boat is so stable that I forgot to pay attention with the new one and didn't get away with putting my center of gravity over so far.

4. Always approach this assuming you will end up in the water. Don't fear it or be obsessed with fighting it. Embrace it. The alternative mindset leads to panic that leads to dead.

5. "Strong swimmer" ? I dunno what that means. Navy Seal strong ? No. Lifeguard strong ? No. Strong enough to stay afloat for a few hours without help ? Yep. Strong enough to swim to your boat in not-unreasonable current ? Yep. Strong enough to swim your boat to shore if you need to ? Yep. Strong enough to swim to shore without your boat if you need to ? Yep.

6. Standing while fishing. Yeah, whatever. I fish for bass pretty often and catch...well maybe not my share. Let's just say I catch enough to keep my interest. I have stood in my kayak, just to prove I could. I've never felt it was necessary for bass or any other type of fishing. YMMV. But here's the thing: you've not even been in a kayak yet, much less fished from one, much less fished for bass from one. Get some time with your butt in a boat before you decide you absolutely need something that to me, at least, is a very narrow specialty requirement.

Pinstripper nailed it with his answers.

What i want to add is what is more important than being a strong swimmer is knowing your limits, and research your forecast! I'm not the best swimmer in the world, and guess what? I don't need to be. In my many trips to the salt I have never ended up in the water. I research the water conditions (tides, swells, wind, current) so I know what to expect. I don't push my limits, and if I arrive and its not what i expected I turn around.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I like what Pinstriper said about thinking of the first kayak as the price of admission to the sport.  If we all got the right kayak the first time, there wouldn't be so many of us with more than a single kayak, since we can only use them one at a time.   :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:48:25 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I like what Pinstriper said about thinking of the first kayak as the price of admission to the sport.  If we all got the right kayak the first time, there wouldn't be so many of us with more than a single kayak since we can only use them one at a time.

It's a bit like shooting sports.  We all remember our first gun, it's limitations and how much fun it is to shoot.  You might sell it, it might sit in a corner of your safe, you might have passed it down to a child or grandchild, but it was your introduction to the sport.  You own several now, because there is no one gun that is right for every job.  You have your favorites, and you take care of them.

It's kind of like that.  I have 4 kayaks.  I regularly use 2 of them, semi regularly use one of them, and the fourth is the loaner for friends without kayaks.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

What i want to add is what is more important than being a strong swimmer is knowing your limits, and research your forecast! I'm not the best swimmer in the world, and guess what? I don't need to be. In my many trips to the salt I have never ended up in the water. I research the water conditions (tides, swells, wind, current) so I know what to expect. I don't push my limits, and if I arrive and its not what i expected I turn around.

This is a fallacy.  You're absolutely fine until you're not and then you'd better be able to tread water.  There are a lot of variables working to take you out of your kayak in the ocean and even the best forecast can go to hell without notice.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Q: How long do I need to be able to TREAD water ?

A: However long you want to stay alive until rescued.

Fixed!

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:26:21 PM by Pinstriper »
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.