Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How long before time for cohos in the Snohomish River?  (Read 3801 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Anyone been back out and tried the lower river? I fished off the bank in the afternoon a few days ago at Bob Heirman park at Thomas Eddy. There were lots of fish, including lots of silvers, but despite lots of people fishing there wasn't much catching going on. I only saw one get caught from relatively far away and it appeared to be foul hooked.

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I paddled up eventually to Crab bar from the new boat launch in Snohomish.  The weather was about to turn and blow the river out so I figured why not one last shot at a coho.  Tide was out so it was tough going but a good work out.  As I approached Douglas bar it was super shallow except for a wicked channel that I could never overcome without some sort of superhuman strength.   I opted for the shallows and walked through it kayak in tow.  In the meantime a jet boat got stuck in the same shallows (hee hee).  Later I heard some other PBers say there were FOUR boats stuck there. I still had to cross a section of the fast moving chute  which I did facing the current and paddling like a steamer.  Then I followed the shallow channel to Douglas bar.  Since there were a few old guy plunkers on the bar I went around the island in the deeper but doable channel. 

It's amazing how much this area changes from year to year.  I hardly recognized it.  Besides almost getting crapped on by a seagull (one guy in a kayak-me, and one lone seagull in a wide open area HE WAS AIMING FOR ME I KNOW IT) I found a bunch of great holes and spots to fish that only a kayak could reach.  Too bad there were no signs of much coho activity.   Just multi-colored zombie humpies erratically plying the slow water.  The only place that was promising was the deep slow chute just up from Douglas Bar and the upper part of Thomas Eddy.  There were a few jumpers and a lot of frustrated anglers (including me) from bank casters to guide boats.  I only saw one pulled in from the bank.  One boat with four guys had one in the box.  All in all pretty lame fishing prospects but hey, I got to test out my new to me break-away anchor set up (worked perfectly). 

I ended up at Crab Bar and drifted Dick Nites for awhile to no avail.  The tidal influence line seemed to be right in the middle of the Thomas Eddy area.  Quite an obstacle course for a kayak too.  I was up for the challenge and it was a great day to be out.  I let the current take me down until I ran into the incoming tide so had to work at navigating both up and down the river.  I knew it would be that way.  However, I would recommend heading up the river when the tide is up.  Bottom line-not many coho to be had in the Snohomish but still a great place to travel in a kayak when the river allows it. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:12:53 PM by skidlybo »

anything