Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: My first Fall Chinook from a kayak  (Read 1749 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Coming out of a stressful week of work I was looking forward to fishing on Saturday for salmon.  I had everything prepared and then life happened and I was unable to make it out.  With a two-year-old and a wife in school I thought that I may not make it out for a few more weeks.  Luckily, I found out that I could get out on Sunday for a quick trip.  I had planned on fishing alone since it was late notice, however, I like having the comradery on the water and someone to chat with.  I texted Robert and he was game to fish.  We met at the launch site at around 6:15 and were on the water by 6:40 or so.  The water was lake like.  It was a perfect morning out on the water with a slight fog hovering on the far side of the river.  With the river opening, there were only a few boats on the water by the time we got to the fishing grounds.  By the end of the day there was maybe a total of 10-12 boats, a calm day on the water.   When we got to the grounds we quickly saw a two fish caught and became excited, however, nothing came for our baits.  The bite was not fast but we saw nets in the water every other pass or so.  We kept switching out gear, hoping to entice the fish to bite.  After trolling for several hours, it appeared like we may just get a good workout with some amazing scenery.  Robert and I were trolling along and we saw two guide boats headed our way on both sides of us.  We got close to one another as we had guide boats on either side, the tips of our rods were nearly touching.  I was looking to my left chatting with the guide boat to my left and I noticed a little bounce in the kayak.  As I look over to my rod I find it bent in the water and I dared not touch it until I heard drag peeling off.  At this time, a customer on the guide boat right next to us says “hey you have a fish on”.  I still don’t feel the fish pulling line so I pick up the pace a little and hear the line start to peel off.  I quickly grab the rod and pedaled like crazy to get away from both guide boats as the fish tried to pull toward them.  The fish made several strong runs and Robert was able to get a pretty good video.  I would post it but there are some choice words in celebration.  The fight lasted a couple of minutes and as it tired down I pedaled quickly and walked the fish right into the net. Compared to my last net job on my paddle kayak, this one was much smoother.  I got the fish to the boat and pedaled over to the beach.  Arriving at the beach, my hands were shaking with adrenaline and it took a half an hour before my stomach settled and my nerves returned.  The tug is the drug and it had me shaking!  The fish taped at 32 inches (from nose to tip of tail).  My first fall Chinook from a kayak.  Glad to get the fall skunk off and hope to get some more as the season closes.  May have to chase them upriver.  I had to leave to make it to take care of my daughter.  Robert ended up paddling several more hours and picked up a fish himself.  Great day on the water, one I will not forget.  Thanks Spot fpr all the tips and guidance throughout the season, thanks Robert for joining!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:48:28 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Great looking fish and narrative...Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Great looking fish and narrative...Congratulations!

Thanks Coastal Chief!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Congrats Zach! Great looking fish.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

uplandsandpiper

Great job! There is nothing like a kayak King. Each subsequent fish will be just a thrilling as the first.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Awesome sauce Zach way to go bud! Keeping food on the table for the family should help promote more days fishing for sure.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Nice one.  Sometimes those last minute trips really pay off.  Did you crop the eagle shot or were you that close?

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Thank you everyone for the kind words!  Looking forward to getting more.  As Hugh mentioned, hoping bringing home fish opens up more time on the water lol

Nice one.  Sometimes those last minute trips really pay off.  Did you crop the eagle shot or were you that close?

I was lucky enough to get with 15-20ft without it flying off. It was picking something off the pilings and did not even notice me paddling. I got several photos that one was the best and was not zoomed in. A little blurry being a i phone photo. There were several above us throughout the day.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:56:41 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Welcome to the club brother!!! The club of I can’t believe I actually caught that from plastic.  :o

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Way to go Zach.Dennis.first.fall.chinook!!   Many more will walk into your net, I'm sure. Great storytelling too.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice work Zach!  Glad you guys were able to score.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Great King Zach.
   Ya' did good.
   As mentioned before--- nice narrative too. And the picture of the fillet really got me hungury.
   The 1st one really makes you want more.
   Keep fishing and they will come.
   Go get some more.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

anything