Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:43:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Midwest transplant  (Read 1339 times)

mtbfishbum

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Hey y’all! Thanks for allowing me to be a member of your forum!  I’m a Michigan guy who grew up fishing for Kings on Lake Michigan.  Back in 2007 I bought a cheap sit in yak to bass fish out of and was hooked.  Currently I’ve got a Native Slayer and a back up / spare Ascend 128. Looking to learn the salt game, for sure!  I’ll be diving into the archives and reading everything I can, that’s for sure.  Located in Puyallup.

Jbauman915

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Im in gig harbor if your looking for buddy. Be fishing and hunting plenty over leave this month too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Looks like a nice setup, I came from WI, but likely before you were born:-))  There's a good string on fishing "blackmouth" and a second "Shilshole Bay" in the Ballard area.  I'm in Kent, so we're quickly surrounding you. 

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Welcome to the forum! Trident 13 was nice enough to show me the ropes during my first trip out in the salt last Sunday. He's a great teacher. I live just north of Monroe, so would be happy to meet up to fish sometime.

mtbfishbum

• Plankton
Hey guys thanks for the responses!!  I’m open to anything, pretty much any time.  I’ve got a fairly flexible schedule except for a few trips I’ve got planned with the wife. (I’m gone this Sunday through Wednesday)   Other than that I’m open, and would love to learn and contribute in any way I can!

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
While waiting to play in the sound, it’s a good idea to get used to looking at tide charts. There are lots and you can google “Puget sound tides” and find a bunch. Check them out and right now and through the weekend you’ll see some big tides. 14-16 feet of water moving in and out in 6 +- hours. If you look at a recent link under black mouth you can get used to reading the current charts and look at what the currents in areas do as well as the tides. Inside the sound they can provide a lot of information. You’ll have fun.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:23:12 PM by Trident 13 »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
This site is a good one for tides and currents (used a lot by local scuba divers for planning).  It has both tide and current stations for quite broad region and a nice display (even for phone/ipad).  Here's a link to your closest(?) station, Steilacoom:

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/stei

Jim (in Gig Harbor)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

mtbfishbum

• Plankton
Wow thanks!  Tides are certainly new to me. I’ve never had to consider them when planning an outing before.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Wow thanks!  Tides are certainly new to me. I’ve never had to consider them when planning an outing before.

You will!  You'll figure out the speed and directions the tidal currents run at your favorite spots, when it'll help you instead of hinder you, that sort of thing.  Also, whether you can use a nice solid beach or ramp to launch, instead of dragging across a long soggy sloppy morass of calf-deep glue...  And the places fish like to hang out changes depending on the tidal cycle and where they (and their food) can get shelter from the currents. 

On the other hand - living back out on the coast instead of the Great Interior Flatness (27 yrs in Omaha), the tides are blessing you with the opportunity to witness first-hand the rhythm of the planet.  Old Mother Nature is big and patient and slow, and doesn't let the petty stuff worry her.  :)  Something I try to emulate. 

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

mtbfishbum

• Plankton

anything