Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hello from Clacktucky  (Read 2523 times)

In2Deep

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Thanks for the offer of the 4 mil., but I'm a bigger guy (6'2" #265), so I'd be surprised if it fits.  I realized that I also have a 6 mil farmer John that I might be able to squeeze into.  Would that work with a dry top, or should I just bite the bullet and save for a dry suit?

If the consensus is that I should really get a dry suit, would a scuba suit work? I've been trying to justify buying one anyway, but I don't dive a lot anymore.

Also, would a dry pants / dry top combo be safe for an accidental cold swim, or is a 1-piece the only way to go?  The 2-piece setup appears to be a lot cheaper, and it might be more versatile year round, but safety is my main concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
It’s my understanding that a dive dry suit is meant for being IN the water and may be uncomfortable in a seat out of the water. If you can save for a dry suit or if you are comfortable in a wet suit, I’d buy either a dry suit or a 3/4 mil surfer wet suit ( that’s all I wear). I don’t fish in the winter months, arthritis!
 In the summer here’s what I wear in the Tillamook Bay and the Nehalem, dress slacks and dress shirt over under armor with surf boots.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
A farmer John and drytop, or waders and a dry top work just fine. They’re not as nice as a dry suit but absolutely get the job done.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I have been using the waders and dry top combo for the last several years.  I am saving up for a drysuit but have been pleased with the results.  I flipped in the Ocean at PC last year (my own fault) and was able to easily recover and get back on.  When i boarded my kayak i noticed i had a bout a cup of water in my suit. I believe it came trhough my nechk as the adjustable neck was not tightened. Overall it kept me pretty dry and i continued to fish comfortably for the rest of the day.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Thanks everyone.  For some reason, Mojo Jojo's response says "Sorry, content not available."  Am I blocked from seeing some people's posts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem when using Tapatalk.  The problem goes away when I access via a browser instead of tapatalk.

Welcome!
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

In2Deep

• Herring
Another dumb question for those that use waders and a dry top:  Do you wear neoprene waders or breathables?  I have both kinds, so maybe a dry top will get me by until my piggy bank refills itself.

Bthomas- Took you long enough to see my thread!  Sorry I couldn't make it sturgeon fishing Saturday, but it sounded like you had a blast.

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017

Bthomas- Took you long enough to see my thread!  Sorry I couldn't make it sturgeon fishing Saturday, but it sounded like you had a blast.
Yeah, I'm not real fast, but I am sturdy!    The Sturgeon Social was so fun--my arms are still sore.  Need to fish more I think!
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Another dumb question for those that use waders and a dry top:  Do you wear neoprene waders or breathables?  I have both kinds, so maybe a dry top will get me by until my piggy bank refills itself.

Neoprene this time of year as long as there not loose will provide plenty of insulation from the cold weather. Just my $0.02. I started in hodgeman neoprene and a semi dry top.

Shannon

In2Deep

• Herring
I just read 4 long threads in the safety section of this site that answered all of my questions about immersion wear, so I'll quit boring you guys with the same questions you've apparently answered for every other newbie.  Sorry I didn't find that section sooner.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to rig my boat, and I'm waiting for some funds to buy all of the stuff I'll need.  I commented to Bthomas the other day that my $170 kayak will probably end up costing me closer to $2k by the time I'm done rigging it this spring (including rigging, fish-finder, drysuit, and maybe a trailer). ;D

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
I just read 4 long threads in the safety section of this site that answered all of my questions about immersion wear, so I'll quit boring you guys with the same questions you've apparently answered for every other newbie.  Sorry I didn't find that section sooner.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to rig my boat, and I'm waiting for some funds to buy all of the stuff I'll need.  I commented to Bthomas the other day that my $170 kayak will probably end up costing me closer to $2k by the time I'm done rigging it this spring (including rigging, fish-finder, drysuit, and maybe a trailer). ;D
If you decide to go with a trailer and want to customize a rack for it, or build a trailer from scratch and don’t weld let me know I live melting metal together. As for rigging decide what’s minimally important first and test fit with tape or a helper holding it in place while sitting in your seat BEFORE you drill the holes.... gear tracks are your friend I have 8 on my Big Tuna. You might also feel the overwhelming urge to buy all the fancy gadgets and accessories but take a deep breath and get the important stuff on first and see what you can live without having. Deck space is a premium on a kayak.   

Shannon

In2Deep

• Herring
Thanks for the welding offer.  Two of my friends / fishing buddies are good welders, so I usually just buy some materials, pizza, and beer, and my trailers magically fix themselves.

I like the idea of taping stuff in place to check the mounting locations.  I may end up going with a gear track on one side of the bow since I don't know how far forward I need my rod holder in order to clear my paddling stroke but still be reachable, and I'll probably mount a fishfinder just aft of the rod holder on the same rail.  I'm planning to mount a Folbe rod holder with an extension arm on the left side so that I can fish it off the right side of the boat.  Aside from that, I'm planning a kill bag in the bow, a basic anchor trolley, and the obligatory milk crate with rod holders behind me.

I am fighting against my natural tendency to be a "gear geek."  I want to keep it simple at first.  I need to finish painting over the horrible camo paint that was on the boat, add a seat and a paddle, and install hatches so that I can begin mounting the items mentioned above.  I'll probably post some photos and questions on the rigging page when I get the project rolling.

One of the details that I'm having the most trouble planning is how to manage leashing items without creating a serious entanglement hazard.  I'll go do a search on the safety page, then I might start a thread there if I don't find the info I need to make some decisions.

anything