Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:33:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Official 2015 Oregon Rockfish Classic Registration and Details  (Read 13527 times)

• Date Registered: Jan 2015
Registration is now live: http://nextadventure.net/oregon-rockfish-classic.html simply go to July 11th on the calender, select how many participants, and click continue to enter your information. 

The 8th annual Oregon Rockfish Classic presented by NWKA and Next Adventure will take place on July 11th 2015 at Depoe Bay, OR.  Proudly the largest kayak fishing tournament in the Northwest, the ORC always creates a spirit of friendly competition and camaraderie for the kayak fishing community.  With both new and continuing sponsors joining forces, this years ORC is shaping up to be the biggest and best yet.  Your participation helps great causes: Neighbors for Kids, a Depoe Bay organization that provides safe activities and places for local children. And, Heroes on The Water Oregon and Northwest chapters, a national organization providing kayak fishing and relief trips for veterans.

Entry Fee: $50
Date: July 11th, 2015

The tournament will be based out of Chinook Bend Campground( 2920 Siletz Hwy, Lincoln City, OR 97367 chinookbend.com) , please make use of our shuttle system as to minimize the impact of the tournament on those we share the Depoe Bay boat launch with. If you plan on camping please contact Chinook Bend to make a reservation.

All entries must be brought to shore and weighed in before 2PM at the weigh-in station on the day of the tournament.  Targeted species for this tournament are lingcod, cabezon, rockfish, and greenling.   Weigh in will be held at Depoe Bay.

Fishing Boundary Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=z--z1pDlPcsY.kdwNU79uaqOM

The North boundary is the tip of Rabbit Rock at 44o 50.3' N.
The South boundary is the south end of Whale Cove 1t 44o 47.2' N
The West boundary is 20 fathoms (120 ft) depth.    This is approximately a half mile past the Whistle Bouy.

No Fishing Zones:

There is no fishing near the channel between the mouth of Depoe Bay and the Bell Buoy.  This channel is 100 yds wide at the channel mouth and extends to 400 yds wide at the Bell Buoy. 

Whale Cove is off limits to fishing per ODFW regulations (see Whale Cove Habitat Refuge)

Anglers fishing in out of bounds or restricted area will be issued 1 warning and then disqualified upon second contact.  Safety boats will be enforcing these rules.

Required Gear (mandatory for all participants)

-PFD (competitors must wear a Coast Guard Approved PFD at all times while on the water, anyone found in violation of this rule will immediately be disqualified)
-Sound Device: a whistle at the minimum
-Safety Flag
-VHF Radio
-Immersion gear appropriate for the Oregon coast. The Pacific Ocean remains cold all year, please be prepared to take a swim.
All competitors Must:
-Submit a completed and signed waiver prior to fishing, anyone that attempts to weigh in fish without a valid waiver on file will be disqualified.
-Check in after fishing, if you do not check in, we will assume you are lost at sea and take appropriate action. All competitors are liable for any fees incurred during their search & rescue.
-Use a human powered craft to get to and from the fishing grounds, if you have a disability that prevents the use of pedal or paddle powered craft, contact Next Adventure for approval.  Sails will Not be considered human propulsion and thus are not allowed.
-Carry a valid ODFW fishing license
-All competitors in a boat over 10’ must carry a valid Oregon Aquatic Invasive Species Permit
-Stay within the fishing boundaries: Northern Boundary: Rabbit Rock Southern Boundary: Whale Cove
-No fishing is allowed in the channel between the Bell Buoy and Harbor Entrance. Any competitors found fishing in the channel will receive 1 warning from the safety boaters, if found fishing in the channel after that, you will immediately be disqualified.   

Schedule Of Events:
Friday, July 10th: @Chinook Bend Campground
5:00pm: Check in Opens
6:00pm: Heroes on the Water Benefit Dinner
7:00pm: Mandatory* Captain’s Meeting

Saturday July 11th:
5:00am: First Shuttle leaves for Depoe Bay
5:30am: Weigh in/Check in opens
6:00am: launch opens
10:00am: Weigh in Opens
2:00pm: Weigh in Closes
6:00pm: Fish Fry
7:00pm: Awards Ceremony

*If you are unable to attend the captains meeting please email kayakfishing@nextadventure.net

A big improvement will be the addition of 2 dedicated, volunteer safety boaters that will assist in keeping anglers out of the channel and helping in rescue situations.  We also are looking like a Safety Power Boater will be helping us patrol the outside area. Any questions or concerns can be directed to Kayakfishing@nextadventure.net

Placements and Payouts

This year we will be making some slight modifications to the placement and prize payouts in hopes to encourage more variety in the way you all choose to fish and hopefully make this event more fun.  As in previous years this event will still have an Overall Winner decided by the largest single fish.  In addition however we are adding the categories below to shake things up some.  These categories will pay out in the order listed below and will have their choice of prizes from a variety of sponsor provided items/packages.  To keep everything fun anglers will be limited to winning one category only.

Largest Slam- A category that will hopefully encourage some folks to think more about their fishing and add some spice to the system.  This category will be won by the largest total weight of 1 of each Lingcod, Cabazon, and Rockfish.

Largest Rockfish- Won by the largest Rockfish for the event.  In the case that the angler with the largest Rockfish has already won a previous category, the prize will go to the next largest fish/eligible angler.  Why pay out the largest Rockfish over other species?  Well this is the Oregon ROCKFISH Classic right?

Largest Lingcod- Won by the largest lingcod for the event.  In the case that the angler with the largest lingcod has already won a previous category, the prize will go to the next largest fish/eligible angler.

Largest Cabazon- Won by the largest Cabazon lingcod for the event.  In the case that the angler with the largest Cabazon has already won a previous category, the prize will go to the next largest fish/eligible angler.

After payout for the above categories are complete we will pay out to the remaining top 10 anglers (again excluding those who have already won a category).

Any additional prizes will be raffled by angler number to those who have not already won.

In an effort to make Prize Value higher, Provide a respectable Prize Tier, and more evenly represent sponsors there will be several prize packages put together.  Not every prize will be a package however expect to see quite a few of these valued at various amounts.

Sponsors and Prizes

An ever evolving list as sponsor commitments roll in.  We will update this list as actual product hits the ground and more sponsors firm up their commitments.   Just because you don’t see them on the list at the moment does not mean they are not involved or invited to be involved.  We have had some sponsors that are unresponsive to requests or that have declined to participate this year.

Next Adventure- Providing planning/event staff, Registration software, Captains Bag goodies, Prizes, Shuttle Service, Professional scale/weigh in, and Safety Boaters.

Raymarine- Providing several models of Dragonfly units

NRS

YakAttack- Providing a variety of items including a custom OD Green BlackPak

Hoggs Tackle

Fishfield

Daiwa

Werner Paddles

Hobie

Ram Mounts

Chinook Bend RV Resort

Wilderness Technology

Lancer Jigs

Pro Cure

Two towns Cider House

Werner Paddles

Onyx

Gerber Knives

Where you entry fees are going:
With the raised entry fees this year the obvious answer is that more money is going to HOW and Neighbors for kids.  In addition however your increased entry fees are going to the following areas:
•   Launch Fees- This year the ORC will be covering everybody’s launch fees from your entry fee.  This should not only reduce the hassle for our participants but also make sure that the City of Depoe Bay doesn’t get shorted on these fees due to anybody getting caught up in the excitement and forgetting.
Shuttle Service- While Next Adventure does provide the ORC with the vehical and trailer for shuttle service along with staffing for this, the ORC will be covering associated costs for fuel.

Safety Boat- We are currently expecting to have a Power Boater as a safety boater to cover the outside areas where our ACA kayak safety boaters may not be as effective.  Although volunteering his time and vessel we will cover his fuel and expenses.

Food and Drink-  Although a pot luck is still very welcomed and encouraged for the Fish Fry, the ORC will be covering the essentials for this cookout including Oil for fryers, plates/utensils, and other basics to ensure that we arnt left in a bind if anything were to fall through.  We will also ensure that we have plenty of non-alcoholic beverages on ice for folks.

Reserved area for weigh in- This year we have reserved the Barn area at the campground to use in case of bad weather.  Any fees associated with this will be covered by the ORC.

Special Incentives

For those anglers needing to pick up any of the required gear for the event or new immersion gear Next Adventure and supporting vendors will be offering special deals on these items.  Please stay tuned for available items and their associated pricing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:24:53 PM by NextAdventure »

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

In my best Gomer Pyle imitation  "Thank-you  Thank-you   Thank-you"

Well done Next Adventure.
 Very pleased to see this posted up. And I won't even say finally...

But, that shouldn't have been too hard.... was it ?

A couple of questions just to clarify
 1. Will it be "mandatory for every participant to have their own VHF radio ?
      Or can people Buddy up and go in and out with a group as in the past ?
       Don't want anyone to be "disqualified" by the safety cops.
 2. Will there be a fee for the shuttle from campground to the Harbor ?
 3.Will there be a placement for the largest greenling ? It is one of the targeted species , right ?

By the way-- thank-you so much for listening to some peoples suggestions about expanding the prize separation by species. That will help to revitalize and renew some faith in the organizers and the future of ORC. Good call on that change.

4. Will competitors be given a numbered chip to use for checking in and out and for the raffle following the Taco Feed ? And will that be in Captain Bags ?
 5. By reserving the Barn at Chinook Bend (in case of bad weather ?) does that imply that there will not be a weigh-in at the ramp on the harbor ? Or does that mean -- if it's raining --leave your fish in the round until you get back to camp to weigh ?

Again  a huge thanks for posting this up.

If other questions arise that I might have missed or if people new to ORC have more questions I didn't think of, I hope they will ask for clarification.
 Let's get the people pumped and the party started.

Thanks one more time Next Adventure.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Awesome post!  I'm looking forward to it. 

If a VHF is required, look at that thread I posed recently in the Product Discussion.  Mine just arrived in the mail today. 
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Awesome changes! It's really good to see some of the safety concerns from past years corrected.

And the additional support of HOW is awesome! I can personally tell you the leadership teams of both HOW chapters REALLY appreciate the support! Dino and Anthony already invest SO much time putting on events, it's a huge help to be able to receive financial support from our NWKA brothers. That 50 entry will let the HOW teams put more vets on the water this year and next. Thank you to Next Adventure and all the anglers that are coming out to the ORC!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Thank you NA. I guess Mark & I can suspend our duties as the NWKA curmudgeons for the time being. It will be good to see the charity payouts posted as Shannon did for the Garibaldi event. What about Ninkasi?

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

In my best Gomer Pyle imitation  "Thank-you  Thank-you   Thank-you"

Well done Next Adventure.
 Very pleased to see this posted up. And I won't even say finally...

But, that shouldn't have been too hard.... was it ?

A couple of questions just to clarify
 1. Will it be "mandatory for every participant to have their own VHF radio ?
      Or can people Buddy up and go in and out with a group as in the past ?
       Don't want anyone to be "disqualified" by the safety cops.
 2. Will there be a fee for the shuttle from campground to the Harbor ?
 3.Will there be a placement for the largest greenling ? It is one of the targeted species , right ?

By the way-- thank-you so much for listening to some peoples suggestions about expanding the prize separation by species. That will help to revitalize and renew some faith in the organizers and the future of ORC. Good call on that change.

4. Will competitors be given a numbered chip to use for checking in and out and for the raffle following the Taco Feed ? And will that be in Captain Bags ?
 5. By reserving the Barn at Chinook Bend (in case of bad weather ?) does that imply that there will not be a weigh-in at the ramp on the harbor ? Or does that mean -- if it's raining --leave your fish in the round until you get back to camp to weigh ?

Again  a huge thanks for posting this up.

If other questions arise that I might have missed or if people new to ORC have more questions I didn't think of, I hope they will ask for clarification.
 Let's get the people pumped and the party started.

Thanks one more time Next Adventure.

Mark,

There was never a lack of effort or wanting to get this information updated to everyone, but yes, yes it is that hard to get information finalized. no one wanted to post something that wasn't for sure and as anyone that has planned this event will testify, it takes time, often more than we all want but we appreciate your patience.  Let's look forward and not backwards. Your passion for this event and the entire NWKA community is, and always has been inspiring. Get involved in the planning next year, even from a distance your help is greatly appreciated. Same goes for you, Paul.

1. In a perfect world every single person that launches will have a VHF, this is something that will have to be verified but as one of the safety boaters I am more concerned with proper immersion wear and safe practices than just a VHF, if you don't have a vhf you better be within earshot of someone that does. One of the special deals we are trying to work out is a discounted VHF price for ORC participants as to not limit those that don't have them. While we don't want to limit people from competing, we want everyone to be safe and have fun. The biggest reason being that as a safety boater, if you happen to drift into the channel or lose your positioning in a dangerous way/and giving a heads up for weather/tourney timing, I want to be able to warn you from a distance beyond yelling or whistles. Realistically anyone heading into the salt needs a VHF regardless of the event.
2. No shuttle fee.  Please utilize the shuttle as this decreases the amount of impact the tourney has on the launch and community.
3. I could be wrong but at this point we won't have a separate category for greenling, most likely it'll be lumped in with all lings. Depending on the total support we get from sponsors we might branch off. Good question.
4. There will either be a numbered chip as in previous years or a numbered wristband, either delivery system will have the same result, and those will be handed out at check in the night before an morning of.
5. Unless the weather is completely insane the weigh in will stay at the launch, the barn will give us a back up and comfortable space to throw back a few and do the awards.

Because I started a new job that has taken up most of my time, I am not as in the loop on the planning as I was in the early stages, but these are the broad strokes that I hope answer some of your questions. It's a work in progress that will continue to develop up to the day of the event.

Paul: We are waiting to get official confirmation from Ninkasi(HUGE THANK YOU FOR GETTING THIS STARTED) that won't happen until June, they have promised to support our event and will no doubt be involved for at least as many kegs as last year, we will ask for more, and we also are talking to Hopworks about getting some additional kegs to buff up the supply.  Hopefully that will result in a well refreshed tourney with some more variety than in the years past. The only guarantee is that there will be beer.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:04:15 AM by TP »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
TP,

You do know that greenlings and lingcod are in no way related other than they both live in the ocean, and one likes to eat the other.  ;D

3. I could be wrong but at this point we won't have a separate category for greenling, most likely it'll be lumped in with all lings. Depending on the total support we get from sponsors we might branch off. Good question.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
TP,

You do know that greenlings and lingcod are in no way related other than they both live in the ocean, and one likes to eat the other.  ;D

Hahaha yes, I am aware, it wouldn't be for their scientific relation but relative size comparison . Do people feel that enough greenling are caught to warrant their own prize category? In my experience that hasn't been the case and there have been very few comparatively caught.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:33:28 AM by TP »

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
TP,
Actually...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagrammidae
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
TP,
Actually...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagrammidae
I was going to say the same thing. ;D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

siebler

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Mark thanks for your positive comments and i do apologize for the time it took to get this information up.  Between our other events, commitments, getting the fishing department at Next settled in, and in my off time settling into the NW this certainly took a lot of focus and energy and with a lot of this being done off the clock things got tough for me.  With our bulk of events being over within the next 2 weeks ORC will be far more focused on by me.

From day one i wanted to add categories and change up prize packages.  This is one of those things i kept asking everybody to just stay tuned for.  Im glad it is well accepted as its good for the anglers and also the sponsors.  After this year we will re-look at how we liked it all and decide on any more changes.

For the Greenling we are going to just leave that to count for biggest fish for this year- no category of its own unless i have enough folks that request it.  If you want to see it then shoot me a PM, im happy to rework prizes if needed.

Shuttle service is provided by Next Adventure and by Entry fee funds as outlined above under " Where your Entry Fee is Going"

Ninkasi and other sponsors are still in works as the first post says.  Just because they arnt listed dont mean its not in works.  Only posting firm and confirmed commitments and this list will update along with sponsor logos as we move forward.

As it has always been please feel free to contact me with any comments, questions, or concerns.

Hope to see everybody at the ORC!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:10:51 AM by siebler »

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
  • The Art and Science of Fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I have an extra VHF I can loan to someone. Send me a PM if you need a loaner. Scott
Heroes on the Water Guide
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12
No Sponsors, Not Prostaff, Just Fishin

T_Angler

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I have a Garmin Rino 530 will that work for my VHF Radio?
2015 ORC 8th place
2015 AOTD 5th place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I have a Garmin Rino 530 will that work for my VHF Radio?

I believe that is an frs/gmrs radio rather than a vhf radio.  If that is the case, it won't work.   You want a true VHF radio because that is what everyone else will be using and more importantly that is what the Coast Guard monitors.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I'm registered and have reservation's at Chinook Bend.  I'm stoked for this tournament!  How many kayaks will fit on a shuttle?  Is there more than one shuttle vehicle?  I'd like to be fishing as early as possible on tournament day and don't want to be stuck waiting in camp.  Thanks
Mike
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback