Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: KAYAK SAFETY + FUN: SELF RESCUE PRACTICE, KAYAK WATER POLO MAYBE?  (Read 2124 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
KAYAK SAFETY + FUN: SELF RESCUE PRACTICE, KAYAK WATER POLO MAYBE?

Hey Kenai Peninsula Kayakers have I got a deal for you!  Joel at the Soldotna Parks & Recreation department has set up a schedule to allow kayakers to use the Skyview Swimming Pool one night a week for eight weeks, excluding Thanksgiving week. Half of the pool will be OPEN kayaking and the other half is reserved for a kayak class clinic.

The only requirement is your kayak must be completely CLEAN. That is a no brainer, eh? Otherwise the program will be terminated if the pool gets contaminated.

PRICE: $10 per night
WHERE: Skyview Middle School pool. 1 mile from the K Beach stoplight towards Homer.
WHEN: Every Wednesday night from October 18th to December 13th, excluding Thanksgiving week.
TIME: 6:30pm - 9:30pm

Practice your kayak skills in 85°F water!!!!  Self rescues. Re-righting over turned kayaks and re-entry. Buddy system rescue and re-entries. Or just play around and enjoy SPA-LIKE water conditions.

In speaking with Joel he said that the SKY is the limit….no pun intended as to what we could organize for this pool time. He mentioned perhaps Kayak Water Polo as one recreational activity. Oh boy I got to visit Sportsmans Warehouse and check out those plastic bathtubs as the ideal water polo boat! :)

Although the program is set up for an eight week period, he said that should the interest remain all winter long there is no reason why it can not be continued throughout the entire winter. And even in the event it ends in the middle of winter there is an opportunity to open the pool time in the SPRING for everyone to practice your safety skills again before heading out on the cold waters of early summer. This would be an ideal time to meet up with each other again and start planning some strategies for the coming fishing and recreational season.

All you need to do is show up at the scheduled time with your kayak and a ten dollar bill. Wheeled carts are no problem for transporting your boat to the pool if you have that equipment. Just make sure everything is clean.

I really would like to see a water polo activity. Even on some nights if just a few showed up it would be doable. If there gets to be too many to fit in the pool we can rotate to get everyone involved.

What a great way to break up the winter doldrums and ward off Seasonal Affective Disorder by keeping up on your hobby skills and have fun too.

This first week Oct. 18th he said there was 6 or 8 folks there at the pool. I am planning to be there next Wednesday October 25th. Come on 85°F water!!!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I know the pool was very helpful to me back in the whitewater days when rolling the boat was a necessity. I have to admit it would be pretty  nice to practice standing, and reentry in the warm water. I'm just trying to picture how much room there would be for the PA 14 beast.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I've got too many irons in the fire tonight to participate but I hope to drop in during the session and see how the program is going. Its a pretty big pool so I'm sure a 14 wouldn't have any problem. I'll snap a few pics and post if I get there.  I used the pool in the past on open swim nights to get back in leg and lung shape for scuba diving vacations. Usually only 4 or 5 folks in the entire pool back then. Like having your own private spa. Just a mile from the house. :)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I know the pool was very helpful to me back in the whitewater days when rolling the boat was a necessity. I have to admit it would be pretty  nice to practice standing, and reentry in the warm water. I'm just trying to picture how much room there would be for the PA 14 beast.

I stopped by the Pool at 8:30p on Wednesday evening to see what sort of participation there was for the kayak classes and the open pool use. Doors were locked up and janitors buzzing about. Hmmm. Called the pool number and left a message to get details the next morning.

Turns out from 6:30p to 8p no one had shown up for either classes or open kayak pool use so the instructor went home. So I guess you won't have to worry about your PA14 and available space. Heck my cuz could put his TI in there if no one else is going to use it.  :)

So the recommendation from the gal was come early if you plan to dunk your 'yak in the hot tub. You can park very close to the entrance door so its no hassle getting your boat inside. Parking and entrance is in the back....take the first right turn road as you enter the school grounds.

anything