Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: TBKD 4 strategy and gear discussions  (Read 2121 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Ok guys I always play fair so if you aren’t familiar with the fishing in T-Bay or not sure where to crab then this is where you can ask. Myself as well as other guys on here will give you a little nudge in the right direction. Since this will be for triple species it’s heaviest legal stringer so we weigh your legal limit as a batch, crabs as a batch, salmon as a batch, all other legal fish as a batch.

And INSAYN can you ocd proof read these all for me? Thanks brother.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:04:58 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Ok guys I always play fair so if you aren’t familiar with the fishing in T-Bay or not sure where to crab then this is where you can ask and myself as well as other guys on here will give you a little nudge in the right direction, since this will be for triple species and remember it’s heaviest legal stringer so we weigh your legal limit as a batch. 

Sure little buddy.

This is great example of a "run on sentence". 

Allow me.  :thumbsup:

Okay guys, here's the shizzle. 
You know I always play fair, so if you are not familiar with fishing T-Bay or just not sure where to crab then this is where you can ask. Myself as well as other guys on here will give you a little nudge in the right direction since this will be for triple species. Remember it’s heaviest legal stringer, so we will weigh your legal limit as a batch. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Ok guys I always play fair so if you aren’t familiar with the fishing in T-Bay or not sure where to crab then this is where you can ask and myself as well as other guys on here will give you a little nudge in the right direction, since this will be for triple species and remember it’s heaviest legal stringer so we weigh your legal limit as a batch. 

Sure little buddy.

You know I always play fair, so if you are not familiar with fishing T-Bay or just not sure where to crab then this is where you can ask. Myself as well as other guys on here will give you a little nudge in the right direction since this will be for triple species. Remember it’s heaviest legal stringer, so we will weigh your legal limit as a batch. 

Better?  :banjo:

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Ok, I'll bite :-)

Never fished TB before.  My background is trout, bass and other warm water fish.  Where do I start for ling's and other target species?  Any suggestions?  I have fished for Salmon and Halibut off-shore with cut-plug herring before, but it was on a guided trip so doesn't really count.  The somewhat-ridiculous-but-whatever-works "arts and crafts" strategies used to catch Salmon in the Columbia is a whole different ballgame.  Is it the same in TB?

Obviously not looking for a hand-hold, but if y'all could point me in the right direction to learn what generally works, what doesn't and what to look for in depth and conditions it would be greatly helpful.  I'll try to plan a couple of pre-fishing trips, but not sure what my work schedule allows.
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Any ocean bottom fishing experience?

Salmon is same as the Columbia guys plug cut herring or spoons trolled behind a sinker.

Crabbing is same as a power boat just a balancing act. Danielson traps work best as there fairly light.

Sea bass aka rockfish we use a crappie rig with 2-4 inch Berkeley Gulp minnowes with a dropper weight jig head with relatively good success.

Lingcod is same as in the ocean fishe the jetty walls with a fairly large plastic bait on a large jig head.

If you can swing a few prefishing days hit me up if I’m available I’ll take you out but TLW’s hand is the only one I hold.  ;D

Shannon

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thank you sir!

This far up the Columbia, most of the folks seem to be using artificial lures (Brads) and beads and yarn and plate size reflectors and whatever else might piss off a salmon.  I haven't fished for salmon in the river yet, but I guess it works.  Seems funny as heck to me.  When I fished off of Sitka we used cut plug herring on circle hooks for kings and silvers and a big gob of the most nasty smelling old fish heads and other offal on a circle hook dropped in 200-400 feet for halibut on a 3' extra-heavy rod that still doubled over.  Not as much fishing pressure there so I guess you don't have to get too fancy.

Thanks for the tips.  Any pointers on weight sizes?  I understand when the tide is running there is some serious current.  Will I be looking for 2-4 oz?  5-10? 20?  Not planning to fish in the jaws at this point.  I'll do some reading and try to plan 1 or 2 weekend trips before-hand.  Hoping to fish in some of the bass events this year so have to plan my vacation time carefully.
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
For weight I try to carry 2 each- 2 oz, 4oz, 6oz and 1- each 8oz and 10oz. Anything heavier then that needed and you have a hard time trolling against the flow. KoneZone flashers work great and 10-12 inch dropper weight a tad closer then the power boat guys use, at least for me.

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015

Sure little buddy.

Better?  :banjo:

"Myself as well as other guys" ? Hideous (but common) misuse of a reflexive pronoun.

"I, as well as other guys..." is where you should go.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:47:34 AM by Pinstriper »
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Thank you sir!

This far up the Columbia, most of the folks seem to be using artificial lures (Brads) and beads and yarn and plate size reflectors and whatever else might piss off a salmon.  I haven't fished for salmon in the river yet, but I guess it works.  Seems funny as heck to me.  When I fished off of Sitka we used cut plug herring on circle hooks for kings and silvers and a big gob of the most nasty smelling old fish heads and other offal on a circle hook dropped in 200-400 feet for halibut on a 3' extra-heavy rod that still doubled over.  Not as much fishing pressure there so I guess you don't have to get too fancy.

Thanks for the tips.  Any pointers on weight sizes?  I understand when the tide is running there is some serious current.  Will I be looking for 2-4 oz?  5-10? 20?  Not planning to fish in the jaws at this point.  I'll do some reading and try to plan 1 or 2 weekend trips before-hand.  Hoping to fish in some of the bass events this year so have to plan my vacation time carefully.

Weight is purely a matter of what it takes to get (and keep) your rig down in the fishing zone. Which is to say it depends on your trolling speed and the current speed. Now, if you're trolling the Ghost Hole where the depth at high tide is 15-18 feet MAYBE, a good baseline is probably 6 or 8 oz. Go up for faster current and/or trolling speed (coho like a faster target, say 2.5kts) or down for slower water (think lower tide swings) or slower trolling speeds.

So yeah, anything between 4 and 12oz cannonballs as a general rule, and just 4, 6, 8 inside TB. Go old school and check the line angle at your chosen trolling speed, and aim for 45deg. Too shallow ? Add weight. Too steep ? Subtract.

You can use Brad's instead of herring if that makes you happy. Personally, I've found managing fillets of anchovy or tuna belly and "magic thread", or bits of shredded canned tuna to be at least as much of a hassle as managing a herring. But if you have the canned tuna (light, in oil) and can't find herring, then play on.

Also - and pay attention here, because this is important - YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVER FISH THE JAWS FROM A KAYAK. There is no "at this point" on this, uh....point.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:46:34 AM by Pinstriper »
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.