Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Basic Fishing Finder training  (Read 2293 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I have a Elite 4-HDI FF.  While I know how to see the bottom, bait balls and the random fish it's certainly far from a complete use/knowledge.  SmokeonDaWater seems to be in the same boat testing his knowledge while fishing.  Since none of use have enough time to fish, making the most of the time on the water is critical.
Last night I collected links to as many unit-specific youtube videos I could find and pasted them in a PowerPoint.  Most are 2-4 minutes long and I was going to just start watching them in the evening.  I started thinking that I use GoToMeeting for work all the time.  I can host up to 10 @ a time from anywhere they can login.  We could watch a segment, pause between slides and have a group discussion/question period to share some knowledge.

No cost, just sharing some technical horsepower.  If anyone would like the powerpoint, PM me with an address and I'll send it to you.  Looking for suggestions to add.

If we kept the time to 30 minutes or so, I should be able to record them for replay.  Just a thought and wondering if there's others with that unit, or those with good knowledge would be interested.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:44:14 PM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
I tired to upload the PowerPoint as it is today but wasn't able to get it accepted.  If someone kinda smart has a way I'd put it up here for folks to download.  Don't mind emailing copies to people who ask but that would be easier.  So far it's just links to youtube anyone could find, hoping someone will off up some others.

nautal

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Hi I got a Elite 5ti coming and have not but the basics down.  I think this would be a good all arounder if we could do this.  hit me up with a PM.

Nate

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Hi I got a Elite 5ti coming and have not but the basics down.  I think this would be a good all arounder if we could do this.  hit me up with a PM.

Nate
I have the 5ti on my yak. If I were you I would return it before hooking it up. The touch screen is stupid sensitive to water on the screen. I battle with mine every time it drizzles or a fish comes on the boat and splashes water around. Otherwise it's a great unit I just can't stand the way the touchscreen works or rather doesn't a lot of the time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Trident 13

• Salmon
I just got the name of a Lowrance installer who I hope will lead me to someone within lowrance to see if we can invite a knowledgeable person to join a gotomeeting. I’ll let everyone know, thinking about the early evening of next week or after if possible.

nautal

• Krill
I have so many questions  ;D, curious do visors help at all?
Does recalibrating the touch sensitivity help at all?
Does sidescan work in the sound/deeper water?
I am also looking into ways to make maps without insite genesis, but have not found much.
Thanks for the info!

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
You gave me an idea with the visor. Aside from water turning the cursor on without your input. Think about using a smart phone with wet fingers, how often are your hands wet kayak fishing? I haven’t used it in water deeper than 40 feet in the two years I’ve had it. I haven’t played with making maps either. My only complaint is the touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nautal

• Krill
I got the elite 5 ti and have been using it for a couple weeks now.  I have been out on 8-9ft near la push and in everett on a particularly "rock and roll" days, think reverb waves colliding with incoming waves, so far it has stayed somewhat dry except one freekout session water splashing on it. I have also been in light rain, no downpours so far. 
From my limited experience, I have learned salt spray (wet or dryed) and wet fingers is hard to do much.
My TI is mounted to a 1.5 ram mount on a track in front of my cup holder so I can adjust it or swing it out of the way.
Kayak: Hobie outback
To combat that, I now keep a tiny spray bottle (dollar store)of plain tap water and a bandana (its the only cotton on board) to clean and dry it off if it gets bad.  I got a visor but haven't put it on.
I think a visor would be good if you could adjust the angle of itdon't see the need.
Adjusting the angle and location is helpful at higher sun angles and when the sun is behind you helps with glare and readability.
Dimming the screen only works/is useful before sunrise or right at or after sunset.
    - otherwise its impossible to read.

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
I'm sure most of you have cleaner/more efficient paddle strokes than I, if you're paddling at all, but my visor keeps so much water off of my touchscreen I couldn't imagine using the unit without it.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I've finally managed to talk with a Lowrance installer (thank you Sportco for providing the lead).  Very nice fellow and the conversation surrounded the number of variables for smaller units that we use.  I told him I've collected a number of youtube videos and have the links on an email-able Power Point.  He suggested one thought was to send that to those who are interested and have them independently watch the videos and jot down questions they have and THEN set up a GoToMeeting so we'd be able to look at a video, move forward to a timeline where someone had a question and then share what we might know individually.
He is going to check with some other folks and said if there were specific topics such as 1.Transducers, 2. Spotting/targeting fish, 3. CHIRP, 4. Overlay, etc. We might find someone who could do a GENERAL discussion but not get into the individual details of each unit/model.
So, I have an emailable Power Point with links I've found.  If you want a copy my email address is in my profile.  I'd like to add other video's others have found.  If folks want to join a gotomeeting, I'd ask you watch the video's ahead of time and mark the time and questions you have so we're not all just watching videos together.  If there are topics of interest I'll take the time to see if we can find someone to talk about the value of understanding the topics in a general way, and each can play with their unit (I think we can say that) and see if that helps.  I just don't want to ask someone in the business to spend a lot of time unless we have enough interest and bodies willing to do their research.  Open to other ideas and if it's just a few, might still be interesting.

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
As far as ideas go perhaps this is something for another topic altogether as I know you set this up as a unit-specific training for the elite-4 but what I am most interested in is a general "how to" regarding setup for a finder for kayak applications. 

Like many of you I've probably watched hours of videos on the subject but interpreting graphs and dots and lines comes after knowing that your unit is set up to actually display those things correctly. 

Things like scroll/ping speed, gain, etc in relation to our "vessel" size, speed on the water (and relative low max-speed), etc are all going to change the nature of how the transducers and ultimately the graph reads back to us and I'd love to feel confident that I at least have the settings down so I know that all there is left to do is interpret correctly. 

I've spent the last three weekends messing around with my graph and settings on the water and I'm not so sure I'm much more knowledgable than when I started regarding these settings!

Trident 13

• Salmon
I have (for now) and Elite 4 HDI, but the concept is gradually adjusting FROM a specific brand/unit TO just what you talked about, general topics about settings, using the GPS, etc.  I have links to video's for the Elite 4 HDI because I have one.  If people wanted to add another unit specific "chapter" to the PP or make one for their unit and decide to share it, that would be great as well.  I'm happy to be the hub of the wheel for a more general one or pass that on anyone who'd like to jump in.  New additional could just be forwarded with a link and topic and that would be pasted in a single PP or kept in a more unit specific second, third, etc.  Can't be complicated if it's to work, just takes a little effort.