Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: What do you wear for the salt/freshwater?  (Read 38218 times)

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Bump :D

OK, i had to go elsewhere to find reviews, but I found some good ones. You know how it is... seek and ye shall find. I'm going to get the NRS ultra john and the NRS HydroSkin longsleeve top.

This should be a better paddling wetsuit combo than my surfing wetsuits have been, since it has the front zip and the design offers better freedom of movement.

Viva Cyber Monday Sales! Going to give OutdoorPlay a call.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:21:02 PM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
Here's a quick review on the above wetsuit gear. I finally made a couple of go-outs along the South Jetty at the entrance to Grays Harbor recently. Water temp both times was in the 52-53 F range, and the air temp was also in the low 50's.
I layered up with polyester wrestling shorts, a short sleeve O'Neill surfing rashguard, the NRS longsleeve Hydroskin top, and the NRS 3mm Ultra John. Over that, I wore my Stohlquist splash jacket to fend off the wind-chill and drizzle.
 I wear merino wool or synthetic thermal socks under my booties.  I wore 5mm surf booties the first time, but the soles are too thin for the poor angle of the hard-edged footrests, so the next time I wore my 3mm side-zip yak booties with the hard soles (they were plenty warm enough).

Fortunately for me, all this stuff fits me well, and was very comfortable to paddle in. It was warm enough for air and water in the low 50's, although on the first go-out, after 4 hours paddling and fishing with only sips of water and no snacks in the wind and drizzle, I started running low on energy and feeling a bit cool. The other go-out was only 3 hours, and I was comfortable the whole time.

I waded out to waist deep, and didn't feel any sudden coldwater intrusion. Next time I might bring along a wetsuit hood so that I can submerge myself for a better test. I don't like to dunk my head without earplugs or a wetsuit hood, especially not until the water temp hits the upper 50's.

It all goes on and strips off easier than my surfing wetsuit, and was more comfortable to paddle in. I'm lucky that its all a good fit, since that's important with wetsuits. You want a snug fit, but don't want it to be restrictive in any way. On the other hand, you never want a wetsuit to be too loose a fit, since they don't work as well if they let a flood of water in.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:34:28 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
For lake fishing in my Ultimate 12, since I'm NOT going to fall out of it, I'll wear jeans or shorts and longjohns, with cheap rain pants and yak booties. A light thermal top under med fleece (or just a longsleeve UPF T-shirt on a warm day), and either a windbreaker or rain jacket.

Sometimes I'll wear my breathable waders (belted) and a splash jacket or wading jacket, like I do when I wade rivers. This is when paddling the slower rivers, estuaries and tidal creeks, when I sometimes stand to cast or paddle, or park the yak and get out and wade or hike upstream.

When its really warm out, just shorts under rain pants (for sun and bug protection), and a longsleeve UPF top. Yak booties to protect my feet if I have to get out and wade.

Salt or Fresh, I always wear my wide-brimmed yakker's hat when its not cold enough for a wool or poly stocking cap.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:52:46 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

donz144

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I purchased a Kokatat GFER from KayakPro.com at a reasonble price for the 2011 version.

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Stohlquist Trekker PFD, OS Systems Pecos semi-dry top, Frogg Togg breathable waders, off-brand river shoes, wide brim hat (ventilated for warm, breathable boonie hat for wet/cold), polypro liner gloves if needed.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

SeaSlug

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Would the O'neal Boost be a reasonable starter suit?

http://www.activewake.com/oneill-boost-drysuit.html

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Most prefer ones with a relief zipper and attached booties. For the extra 100 bucks the zipper is well worth when spending a long day on the water.

SeaSlug

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013

Most prefer ones with a relief zipper and attached booties. For the extra 100 bucks the zipper is well worth when spending a long day on the water.

Thanks.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
REALLY like Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Pants With Socks in better weather.  They breath, I wear them with a light paddle jacket, they have a tight velcro mid-belly belt and some knee high paddle boots.  I've used long-johns under them and have been dry after several hours of taking spray. 
http://www.campsaver.com/hydrus-3l-tempest-pants-with-socks

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
REALLY like Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Pants With Socks in better weather.  They breath, I wear them with a light paddle jacket, they have a tight velcro mid-belly belt and some knee high paddle boots.  I've used long-johns under them and have been dry after several hours of taking spray. 
http://www.campsaver.com/hydrus-3l-tempest-pants-with-socks

$150.00 for those is a pretty good price! 50 bucks off.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
They aren't what you want if there's any chance you might end up in the ocean.  They are not immersion gear.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
You see the comment "better weather (should have included water). I use a Kok Gore-Tex in the cold or inclement weather/water.  I accept the risk of lighter paddle pants (with socks), knee high boots and a paddle jacket in the summer and freshwater until winter months.  There are lots of factors to consider.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The factors to consider are "How cold is the water?" and "How long might I be in it until I recover or am rescued?"

Nothing wrong with living on the wild side, and I'm not criticizing since you said "I accept the risk" - but if a person doesn't know what they're doing, water temperature and how long you might be in it are the only two factors that count.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
If you're in the salt and after immersion protection.  The best "cheap" route you can go is a good surfing wetsuit.  A 5/4/3 or 4/3 can you keep you comfortable in the water for hours and hours even on the Oregon coast.  They can be had for about half to 1/3rd the price of a dry suit. 

I'd second this.  I've been using my surfing wetsuit in the salt for years.  If something catastrophic happens a couple of miles offshore, I know that it's not hypothermia that's going to kill me.  They're not as comfortable as a dry or semi-dry suit but I've had no problem paddling 15miles in search of mythical sea creatures to slay.

-Spot-

Ordered my first dry suit earlier this year & just received it; the Kokatat HOW NWKA ANGLER Paddling Suit. Still haven't used it but I'm looking forward to it. The last 6 years I've been getting by just fine using my surfing wetsuit I bought in Half Moon Bay over a decade ago, with a stohlquist dry top. As a paddler the initial hinderance of a wetsuit can be tedious but rapidly diminishes in the pursuit of Feesh. 
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
If you're in the salt and after immersion protection.  The best "cheap" route you can go is a good surfing wetsuit.  A 5/4/3 or 4/3 can you keep you comfortable in the water for hours and hours even on the Oregon coast.  They can be had for about half to 1/3rd the price of a dry suit. 

I'd second this.  I've been using my surfing wetsuit in the salt for years.  If something catastrophic happens a couple of miles offshore, I know that it's not hypothermia that's going to kill me.  They're not as comfortable as a dry or semi-dry suit but I've had no problem paddling 15miles in search of mythical sea creatures to slay.

-Spot-

Thank you, both for this information.  My Granddaughter just got back to Oregon and wants to go out with me when she's down this way.  A dry suit is ridiculously expensive for two or three trips a year, but I didn't know what thickness of neoprene would be adequate.  Good to know.