Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:19:21 PM]

[Today at 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Trimming neck gaskets, Help!  (Read 8308 times)

Tomas

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Hi,

I bit the bullet and purchased a Kokatat drysuit with my REI dividend and 20% off ;D.  Now all I have to do is trim the neck so the blood can get to may brain.  I am a bit tentative about going for it as it would be a bummer if I mucked it up.  Any comments or suggestions how best to trim and fit the neck gasket?  Kokatat stresses that the cut shuold be even and have no nicks as I assume this could result in rippage. 

Thanks,

Thomas

jself

I wouldn't trim it. There's a ton of info on here if you do a search. It's been a hot topic.

Use 303 or seal saver to lube the latex and make it more stretchy. When they're dry (off the shelf) they're  tight & stiff. Moist = flexible.

Unless you have a 25 inch neck or something, I would avoid trimming. It will lead to your gasket freying and tearing quicker than otherwise.

You do get used to it. I wear mine 200 days a year. The first time I wore it I almost passed out. Also, as your body warms the latex, it makes it stretchier. It also stretches on it's own with use over time. This is why you don't want to stretch it out on your own.

Call me if you have questions.
Jason 503-285-0464
http://www.aldercreek.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I trim.  The Kokatat neck gaskets have concentric ridges on them that help with this.  You do need to make sure you have clean cuts.  I use a set of sharp scissors.

-Allen

Tomas

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Hey Jason and Allen,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I called the folks at Koketat and they where very helpful as well.  My neck is around 17 inches and so the feedback was that I may need to cut 2-5 rings.  As per Koketat's suggestions I will strech over a bowl for at least 3 days and see how it feels before I cut.

Tomas

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
FWIW, I have a 16.5 inch neck and trim 2 rings.  It's snug at first, but that's the way to begin.  Granted I've blown out the neck gasket twice in 2 year.  Once when I loaned the drysuit to a friend, and once when I had long nails and just grabbed the gasket hard without thinking and I felt my nail slice it.  I do have the jig to replace it and new gaskets are like $34.  Easy enough to do!

-Allen

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have had mine for over a year now and realized that I will have to trim it.  I thought it would stretch over time, but I have given up on waiting. I will try 2 rings like Allen.  The way I figure is if it eventually rips, i will just buy a new gasket.  I quit buying Starbucks coffee everyday a couple years ago and now can afford such conveniences like new neck gaskets.   :)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm certainly not struggling with it.  There's more than one way to do things right.

I purchased my drysuit from Kayak Academy, one of the largest Kokatat retailers in the nation, and certainly very knowledgeable.  They are the ones that recommended trimming it, and I just followed suit.  Sounds like Kokatat doesn't specifically recommend NOT trimming it either.

And kayak anglers are not the only ones struggling with it.  This conversation certainly comes up frequently in non kayak fishing circles.

-Allen

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Someone on the forum posted a tygon tubing neck ring that when placed around your neck keeps the seal from strangling you.  If you hit the water it pulls out easily.  Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,4447.0.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

jself

removing post. to harsh. sorry. :-\

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

I didn't think it was too harsh.   :P  Like I said, there are many ways to skin a cat, and it's always good to have perspective.  In fact, I just put a new neck seal on and I think I'm going to grunt it out a couple of times and see what happens.  I can always trim later.  Besides, I use a ring spacer and if it's too tight while on the water, I'll just put it on.

-Allen

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

Nothing in this thread struck me as harsh.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I'll chime in on the side of trimming----you can do it a little at a time, LIke Allen says you can always reinstall a new one if you go too far.....but uncut neck gaskets are like being strangled all day by a guy with weak hands.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

jself

I'll chime in on the side of trimming----you can do it a little at a time, LIke Allen says you can always reinstall a new one if you go too far.....but uncut neck gaskets are like being strangled all day by a guy with weak hands.

Hey you stole that line from me!

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Just like programming---the best code is borrowed code!!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

jself

I've been thinking more about this, and I don't have issues with trimming and stretching as a last resort. I think it's best to try lube (a few times a day for the first couple of days before you use the suit) and give it several uses to see if you get used to it before going to the trim & stretch.

I find that when I'm moving boats around and yapping on the beach, the neck gasket drives me crazy. Generally after about 10-20 minutes of paddling, I'm so focused on other stuff, I don't notice the neck gasket at all.

I think trimming is better than stretching, you just have to be careful that you have a precise cut, and you don't make the hole to big. I personally feel that I paid a ton of money for this suit to be dry, it better freaking be dry. A tight seal means exactly that.

Also- I just sent my suit in for repair because the gaskets had stretched/degraded so much that they were letting water in. With general use, UV & sunscreen, those things get much looser on their own. I've been using my Kokatat angler suit with the neoprene punch-through neck and boy, do I miss my latex gaskets! You definitely get uncomfortably wet in that thing when you swim and the water/weather is cold.

My 2 cents.

J

anything